electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Is the Kyma system right for me?
Page 1 of 3 [65 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Is the Kyma system right for me? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been in two minds about this ever since the announcement of the Paca, finally bringing Kyma within reach for poor amateurs like me. Smile

The question remains though; mainly because of the price, which could be spent wisely on other gear and software, no doubt. If I were to go all-out on that front, I would get fairly close to the £3000 which the Paca and a good sound card, + duties etc. would amount to in the end...

I do not have much experience with computers and programming, but after having read the 'Kyma X Revealed', the concept of some scripting in parameter fields do not seem overwhelming. My experience is in hardware and synthesis, I have no problems finding my way around a pro studio, and the top levels of Reactor are fairly easy for me to understand.

I want to use Kyma for all sorts of things and ideas that I have, building arrays of delays, combined synthesis, convolution experiments, spectral processing and for those "what if..." moments. I also want to explore algorithmic composition eventually, as well as use it for simpler things like looping and sampling. I have too many ideas, and learning programming is one way to explore this, as is some of the open-ended software like Audiomulch, Plogue and so on... But Kyma seems to have it all, and I have had my eye on it for about 15 years after a friend of mine introduced me to it.

And it just sounds great!

Sorry for long post, but I am really not sure whether I should invest in it. Any opinions are welcome!

buzzr

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello. You just described every reason to own the Kyma system.

The only other routes are Supercollider and or Max/Msp.

Sure, you can get many other tools to combine into a system, but we all know how that works.....

To me it sounds like you just don't like the price. Well, consider that a moog voyager costs about the same amount, or a Nord Wave or an Alesis Andromeda...then you understand that the Kyma is a bargain.

Especially for everything you listed on your want list.
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't really mind the price, given what you get for it - but it's psychological. Since I am not a pro, spending that amount in one go is a bit daunting, that's all.

I am a bit worried that I will not be computer-literate enough to get started, even if the impression I get from the manual is the opposite. I guess I am worried about nothing... and trying to make absolutely sure that my gear lust is not getting the better of me.

Anyway, thanks for your support. Smile

buzzr

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They are working on another version of Reaktor. Not sure when the release date will be..
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm, Reaktor. I'm not a big fan I must admit. I have had some fun with Synthedit, even though it is more restricted. I am not interested in creating UI's, and on a macro level Kyma just seems more fluid to me.

I have not tried Kyma though, so I don't know this for sure...

buzzr

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't use Reaktor because there is no room for nasty feedback, it actually overdrives my system, which is not good, it should just be devestating like feedback should be Shocked
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure what you mean there, but yeah, feedback is part of my religion! I love making complex feedback systems - it's like creating life some times... Shocked
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
it's like creating life some times... Shocked

Hey, that's my line Laughing

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

buzzr wrote:
They are working on another version of Reaktor. Not sure when the release date will be..

Been hearing that rumour for a few years!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know that Mosc owns a Kyma system and a Nord G2 and ended up swaying more towards the G2 as it to is really a big DSP engine but with knobs, display, and a keyboard and allows a fantastic "virtual modular" approach to sound design of which all manner of feedback experments can take place. You might want to consider maybe a second hand G2? Just a quick though after reading the thread. I know that "Blue Hell" can speak more fluidly about the G2 than I can ... Wink I believe he has been using the G2 for his "Washing Machine" experiments ... I will let him explain if he wants ... Laughing

Bill
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm about to order that new Kyma thingy ... for exploring other life forms Laughing
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Jan,

When you order one mention my name and maybe they will send me a T-shirt or something Wink
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Muied Lumens wrote:
it's like creating life some times... Shocked

Hey, that's my line Laughing

Heh. There's no other name for it when things get out of control and it is trying to break out of your speakers!

I love the Nord family, and the G2 is my favourite. Its major short-coming in my eyes is the lack of sampling. If it weren't for that I would already own one. I'd be happy with just a few Mb's! I will keep an eye on the second hand market, although for the moment the Blofeld is ahead of it on my wish list.

The general consensus seems to be that Kyma is not a be-all, end-all system, but it is hard to beat in terms of experimental sound design and sonic adventures.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:

The general consensus seems to be that Kyma is not a be-all, end-all system, but it is hard to beat in terms of experimental sound design and sonic adventures.

This sounds spot on to me.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The general consensus seems to be that Kyma is not a be-all, end-all system, but it is hard to beat in terms of experimental sound design and sonic adventures

As mentioned earlier, maybe MAX/MSP could be a good candidate for now? You have sampling and synthesis. You see it everywhere in academia and general use. Might be worth a try? Wink Certainly cheaper than Kyma (I know you mentioned money is not the issue) and maybe give you more time to think about things.

Too bad you could not rent a Kyma and see if you like it Cool

Just a couple more thoughts ..
Bill
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can download the MAX/MSP 5 demo and use it for a month.

After a month when you haven't managed to make it do anything at all you can have a re-think.

I have fumbled with MAX/MSP for over a year and have made it do nothing worthwhile at all apart from change a few Lemur related sequencers, I keep going back to it as it cost a fair bit of money but don't seem to get any further. It makes Reaktor seem straightforward!

Supercollider is good though and very cheap!
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have played around with PD, on and off for a year or so and I still have not made a single interesting thing in it! My attempts have been half-hearted, but I also have a problem with the whole thought process behind it. This is no doubt because I come from a hardware background.

There's also vvvv, which is free for non-commercial use and directed towards video. I like poking around, but nothing fruitful has come out of it. It has been months since I last touched it.

Nevertheless, I'll give MAX a go to see if I can penetrate the surface at least...

Kyma seems more transparent to me, at least in theory.

robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:

Too bad you could not rent a Kyma and see if you like it Cool

Hmm, I see a business opportunity here, at least if the interest in Kyma increases with the falling prices... Wink

buzzr

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The idea that Max is anywhere near Kyma is quite simply hilarious.

I would rather make music then build from the ground up something that has already been made.

I also own a G2 and have many friends who are masters at programming Max, Supercollider and Pd. One told me that in order to have made anything near one of my patches with the G2 it would have taken me at least 8 years to get my head around Max.

The only thing I see blocking a musician from buying Kyma is the price. But compared to everything else, there is no competition.
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, I tend to agree...
mrbill

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: MAX/MSP
Subject description: compared to Kyma
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

buzzr wrote:
The idea that Max is anywhere near Kyma is quite simply hilarious.

As a programming environment , I would disagree.

The MAX/MSP/Jitter language is supremely well crafted and is constantly being improved and added to. You can do anything you want with it. It costs substantially less than a G2 or Kyma, but that is precisely because you have to program it yourself.

A large part of the price of Kyma and G2 (and Lexicon and Eventide, etc.) pays for programming.

So either you program it yourself, or you pay someone else to do it for you.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: MAX/MSP

mrbill wrote:

So either you program it yourself, or you pay someone else to do it for you.

I'd rather compose music than programming. I studied Max/MSP but I stopped using it the day I gave my exam about computer languages at the Conservatory and never opened it again but I have seen people doing absolutely amazing stuff with it.
It isn't my cup of tea!

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer

Last edited by seraph on Thu May 14, 2009 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
cbm

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: MAX/MSP

seraph wrote:
I'd rather compose music than programming.

I don't make much of a distinction, personally. For a lot of my work, the program is the composition.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it looks like we compose differently Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
buzzr

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a programming environment, sure, Max, Supercollider and Pd excell....
Page 1 of 3 [65 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Jump to: