electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Kyma Mangling FX
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Kyma Mangling FX Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mangle Away

KymaMangle.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  KymaMangle.mp3
 Filesize:  5.73 MB
 Downloaded:  1581 Time(s)

buzzr

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice sounds Bob! Smile
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That sounds pretty radical in headphones! Very Happy

So what's going on in there? Can you give a rough outline?

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys.

I actually did it wearing headphones early this morning, doesn't sound as good through the speakers thats for sure. When I first heard it through my speakers I thought something was wrong with them, very weird!

Its a factory patch with me running stuff from Live into it, I didn't touch the patch. I will have a look in a minute to see if I can work out what it does.

Andy
buzzr

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm ordering a Paca today Very Happy
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
That sounds pretty radical in headphones! Very Happy

So what's going on in there? Can you give a rough outline?

Ok I have had a look at the patch.

The left channel of the input audio is split into two paths.

Each path goes through a LowShelf and HighShelf filter and then a compressor.

Each then goes to a REResonator which is a time varying filter whose coefficients have been derived by analysing a audio file with the RE Analysis tool in Kyma.

RE stands for resonator/exciter so basically the analysed audio is the resonator and the input audio is the exciter. The resonator audio is the words you can hear.

These signals then go into a DynamicRangeController which is a compressor/expander and then are mixed into stereo.

Hope this makes sense!

I have included a simple audio example, first is the unprocessed drum track and then the processed audio.

Andy

REExample.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  REExample.mp3
 Filesize:  631.55 KB
 Downloaded:  1329 Time(s)

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Andy! Yes, it makes sense on some level. I have some help from 'The Computer Music Tutorial' which buzzr has mentioned elsewhere.

Congratulations on the purchase buzzr!

buzzr

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Smile

Looking forward to this upgrade...
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

buzzr wrote:
I'm ordering a Paca today Very Happy

Lets hope you don't have to wait as long as I did!
buzzr

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I talked to Carla yesterday. She said that a Paca was 75% of a loaded Capy. She also mentioned it could be a little more then that as there were not as many processors involved as with a Capy.

I will upgrade within the year, my budget right now does not allow it!
buzzr

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

75% of a capy is 21 or 22 expansion cards btw...out of 28 you would have been able to put into it.

The Pacarana of course is 100% more powerful. So, like having two fully loaded capys...
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most the stuff I am doing is using bugger all dsp.

You can overload it with the Spectral stuff with large numbers of partials but that tends to just knacker a single dsp.
buzzr

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So you mean overload the audio channel? Or do you mean DSP overloads the CPU Laughing
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The CPU.

It doesn't handle it well either, first you get an overload message, then a firewire error and you have to reset the DSP from within Kyma to get it back!

So maybe a bug? I'm not sure as I have only just started playing with the Spectral stuff.
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will you be bringing it at Halloween? Sure hope so!
driskel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
The CPU.

It doesn't handle it well either, first you get an overload message, then a firewire error and you have to reset the DSP from within Kyma to get it back!

So maybe a bug? I'm not sure as I have only just started playing with the Spectral stuff.

I have encountered the same thing, but I am a rookie at the Kyma. I know you can set DSP allocation in these situations using a prototype that achieves this goal.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep you can use ForcedProcessorAssignment.

I think SymbolicSound are also fine tuning the scheduling algorithms for the Paca/rana so they should get better over time.
bphenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are a couple particular things that trigger DSP allocation issues. One is feedback loops where you read and write things in a loop. This has to be on 1 processor if using the memory writer, so watch out for that. There are a few tricks around it though if you come across that. If you are running into this issue often, feel free to ask the SSC forum. If you post an example, I am sure people will be more than happy to propose solutions.

It seems that the Pacarana also has an issue with a few modules during the port over to the new hardware. In particular, the CrossFilter_long with the setting to maximum causes problems. Just defining the impulse length fixes that issue.

Re: the overload. The Pacarana is much, much less graceful than the Capybara was. SSC indicates that is being worked on so I suspect it should sort out in due time.
bphenix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there was a new update today that may help with 'firewire robustness'. this may help with some of the resetting issues. i've also wondered if the amount of IO I have hanging off the macpro is also causing some level of trouble. Apple is known to have some problems with the built in fw bus. i just order a new Sonnet FW800 card as I could use the ports anyway. i'll post if that seems to help at all.

also, a mere 6 days after request there is a new feature to support shutdown hardware upon exit. i love how faster SSC turns around little request like those.
bar|none

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I had a bunch of initial setup issues with my MacPRO 8-core and firewire.

Basically I can't have anything on a hub and I only have 2x 800 and 2x 400 connectors on the PRO.

So I did the same and ordered a sonnet fw 800 card. Hopefully that improves things a lot.

Resposted from thread here
http://www.symbolicsound.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=displayprivate&number=1&topic=001023

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I found an interesting article on the firewire connections on the MacPRO
http://www.barefeats.com/hard95.html

These guys do a lot of performance testing and the interesting part is here.

"Apple continues to produce Macs with FireWire 800 ports, but they always share the same single data channel/controller with the FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 ports. Why is that an issue? For one thing, we've experienced some strange slowdowns in FireWire 800 devices when FireWire 400 devices are added to the mix. And they continue to run slowly until you disconnect the FireWire 400 device and Restart the Mac Pro. "

So I used Sonnet cards in the past with great success, so ordering a Tango Express 800 to get some more reliable and fast ports.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the 400 sonnet card, works a dream in my MacPro.

I am pretty sure you need to keep the Pacarana and the Konnekt on the same firewire bus if you are connecting them together via the computer though.
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Jump to: