electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
The Note Spiral
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: The Note Spiral
Subject description: A 3D Note Circle: oooh, so spatial...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello friends, I have an interesting idea for teaching and learning the musical note scale. I'm posting it to composition because it can be generalized to all instruments, though I am mostly concerned with guitar. The idea is to take the famous note circle and represent it as a spiral, where each turn of the spiral represents an octave.

So you obtain or create a spiral or tube shaped object such as a spring or paper towel roll or PVC pipe, then start labeling the notes of the note circle on it such that one turn around the spiral displays one set of the 12 notes. Each trip around the spiral is another octave of the note circle, such that vertically the notes line up, for example one column of a four-loop spiral would read E E E E, and so on.

Why do this? Well, once we have our spiral labeled we can represent various music theory thingies on it like scales or chords or a favorite guitar riff. This could be done with additional drawing or attaching strings or whatever. I don't know, but I suspect that this 3D object might illustrate the geometry of the math behind the music somehow. Or it could simply be an interesting desktop curio.

Some ways to make this object would be to draw on a spring or cylinder as I just described, or to make a pdf file that when printed out could be rolled up into a tube, possibly printed on transparent overhead sheet. Also 3D software could be used to make movies of such a spiral, with the various notes lighting up as a song is played. A good programmer could even make an interactive tool that quizzes and/or listens for notes or chords being played.

I don't know where I'm going with this idea, I just thought I'd post to see what people think about it. Maybe it's nothing new, maybe it's not so useful, yet maybe it's kinda kewl.

I welcome your comments as always.

Les

p.s. I made a jpg image of this, attached. Just cut along the indicated line then roll into a long tube. Neato, eh?

NoteSpiral1.jpg
 Description:
A paper note spiral for you!
 Filesize:  48.52 KB
 Viewed:  299 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

NoteSpiral1.jpg

mysticalfairy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it would be a positive benefit to new students who are visually oriented. Thats why lots of theory classes in college make you take a semester of piano, even if you don't play piano......because the notes are are all linearly laid out.
Mythical Records
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: