electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  mosc Live music with Twyndyllyngs - Bill Fox and Howard Moscovitz
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Andromeda VS Jupiter 6
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tasters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Andromeda VS Jupiter 6 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys
i got a beautiful Jupiter 6, as new, with also the original box.

I really love is sound, really harsh and eighties, but i got only this as poly and less space in room and i need a polysynth capable also of different tones, and the JP6 seems me to be good only for that "Jupiter" type of sounds...

I'm in the electronica/hip hop producing stuff ( and i love the pads made with the JP6) but someone have idea if i can get more sound variety and power from an Andromeda than the jp-6 or they are similar in sounds?

I can't have the chance to try the ANdromeda... is really cpable to be the only polysynth in a studio??

anyone who have the jp6 and andromeda can help me?

thanks!
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would personally say yes. I'm sure other people have other opinions. Smile But one thing is very true: the Andromeda has much greater tones than a Jupiter 6 does.

Tone wise... I personally think the A6 has a more aggressive / forward tone than the Jupiters, more perhaps along the line of Oberheim polys and Memorymoogs. If that's what you are looking for, the A6 might be perfect.
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've got a jp8 and a a6.
am thinking of selling one and that's the jp8.why?
the a6 is more modern, more reliable , so can be used for live things and be repaired more easily
the a6 has velocity 16 parts and so many possibilities it'll keep me busy for years.
the a6 sounds good enough, although the jp8 sounds better ( but with afcoure less possibilities due to it's simpler layout/ modrouting filters etc.
why doubting?:
the jp8 takes me straight to the sound i look for , the a6 takes me to lots of places and , when spent much more time then on the jp8, also to the sound i wanted and even more detailed.
however the jp8 has the more "right in your face" sound, no doubt "bout that.
maybe i'll keep both, but if i'd sell one it would be the jp8 . the prices paid for both of them on the moment also attributes to that decision afcourse.
cutterfiltoff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have both an A6 and a Jp6. They are really very different sounding synths. The jp6 is incredibly bright and thin compared to other analog polys of the era. I find them both equally useful. Especially when you equip the Jp6 with the europa mod, it brings it to the level of the A6s complexity and ability. Really my only complaint is a lack of filter input on the Jp6, which would be difficult to implement.
paugui

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can always get a Roland MKS80...
You won't have the multimode filters, but so far I've heard the rev4 have the same chips as in the Jupiter 6, but with 8 voices and velocity response.

I am getting one MKS80, but if I had to choose between one of the two, I would rather have the Andromeda.

If they produce some more Andromedas (which I really hope they do), I'm going to get one when they come, but I am sure I'll keep the MKS80.
And this way you won't get two huge keyboards...
cutterfiltoff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've used the MKS80 rev3 and 4, and they both sound quite different from the jp6. To my ears the MKS80 is warmer, and the jp6 more buzzy and bright. The main selling point of the jp6 over an mks80 is the europa mod, which in my opinion is much better then velocity.
elmacaco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you love the Jupiter 6, keep it and get Europa for it for more options and control.

I like the JP-6, but I never loved it, even with Europa. It has a bit of a brash sound and the uniqueness of it never appealed to me, so I sold mine years ago.

The andromeda is different, but WAY more versatile than the Jupiter 6, and capable of similar sounds. The Jupiter interface is a lot quicker, but shallower, (I keep a juno 106 around for the quick access roland interface fun).

Sound wise I much prefer the A6.

That said, Sunny, you should keep your jupiter 8 and Andromeda. The jupiter 8 is actually easier to service than the Andromeda (no custom chips, all discrete designs, all parts still available cheap) plus it sounds like GOD!

The prices are high now, but they will probably stay that way as they get into richer hands it will take more money to convince people to part with them, and the A6 will probably keep going up now that they are discontinued.

I know the feeling, I use the A6 for so much, I often ignore my other synths since it is so gratifying to use the A6, but when I turn to my Xpander, the temptation to sell it quickly disipates. if I regret the sale getting another one would be difficult as the prices go up.

So keep the Jupiter-8, (unless you want to trade it for an Xpander Wink
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm actually glad I picked up my Jupiter 8 when I did, even back when it was $2500AUD, several years ago back then the Aussie dollar was around 65 cents US. They're even now, so I'm not sure if I gained value or not Smile

The Rolands I have, Juno 106, Mks80 rev 5 and Jupiter 8 seem much brighter than the A6. They lack than lower mid warmth of the A6, the American sound if you will. They sound much more shiny. A good way to describe it would be comparing a tube/valve sound to analog tape. A6 sounds more like analog tape. Rolands the valvey type sound.

A6 can do all the types of sounds you want, but it does have it's own character. It can do pretty well with analog drum sounds like 808/909/606/CR-78 type things, just not as good.
But if you like the Roland sound it takes more work to get that tone out, something like the Juno 106 PWM sound is hard for the A6 to do.
elmacaco

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Col, good to see you after so long since the GS days. I learned a lot from your A6 programming tips.

I bet you are glad you picked up a Jupiter 8 when you did!! What a sound and great interface. I get what you mean about the A6 sounding like tape, it might be the subtle saturation in the mixer stages, the harmonics don't jump out at you in the same way, but you can make it do anything and sound so good.

For more of a Roland like sound, do you still rely on the filter feedback, the sub osc? I find it hard to get the envelope as snappy as the 106, even though it is plenty fast enough, just getting the right mod depth and slopes was hard too.
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whats the going rate of JP8s now? Saw a CS80 go for over 10 grand!

I must say, the A6 really reminds me of a CS80 half the time when doing brassy sounds and pads and what not. Go and watch some recent CS80 vids on Youtube, and those sounds and character are right there on the Andromeda. Just wished it had poly aftertouch Sad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Fw7MxmAD0

I've been away from the music scene for a while now, just getting back into things, bringing my synths out of storage and they all work fine!
My A6 (the special one) looks almost brand new Smile

I say special, because 1 of the 2 I had was built really well under direct supervision of Mike Peake at Alesis HQ and burned in over a period of time before delivery to me, all expenses paid by Alesis, but when it arrived here, they got bought out by Numark, and it got lost in the shuffle and I ended up with 2 Andromedas Very Happy
I sold the other one pretty cheap not long after, now I wish I kept it since they are going for a lot more now....but in a sense I got my Andromeda almost free Wink

That makes it about 11 years old now and still running on the original batteries :O
The "special" one has painted silver knob cap tops and larger knobs under the screen, makes the editing more precise
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
For more of a Roland like sound, do you still rely on the filter feedback, the sub osc? I find it hard to get the envelope as snappy as the 106, even though it is plenty fast enough, just getting the right mod depth and slopes was hard too.

Yeah filter feedback and in series is the only way to go for a more wetter Roland tone.

I dunno, I find the 106 pretty sluggish sounding. I used to think it was fast but no it's soggy. I think the A6 is faster in some ways, self oscillate the Moog filter and see what I mean, it snaps for drums, but the control voltage to the oscillators are slow, by that I mean there is always some slew going on, so a mini portamento effect. Remeber when I compared it directly to the MKS-80 and showed the flaws to Alesis? They updated the OS for faster CV, but it's not 100%

I find the Juno 60 is the one with the fast envelopes and the Jupiter 8 is pretty snappy too. They had hardware/chip envelopes, the 106 had software ones like the Mks80 rev 5.

The 106 is my live jam tool. Everything is easy and it's set up so you can't go wrong tweaking it. Something neither the JP8 and A6 is good for.
Either through my SRE-555 space echo or processed live through my PC running Reaper, with VST effects - revelation for me! 3-4 VST effects, reverb, delay, modelled compressors and tape sound etc, all at 24 bit 96khtz, at under 10ms latency! My recently upgraded i7 930 PC at 4 ghtz makes it possible, and with less than 5% CPU load Smile

I've been around since the C64 days, and this blows my mind. Too much choice and so much easier to do stuff these days, yet I write less music...
elmacaco

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha, get a cassette deck and record it that way. Makes you get it done a bit faster. The options of a computer are the black hole...

yeah I remember your A6 saga, nice touch with the big knobs, I should grab some...

Glad you're back into the music.

The 106's envelope to it's self oscillating filter has a nice fast and pleasant curve. I know the a6 is faster, but I can't get it to thwip similarly, I figure it's between the depth and the curve, but I couldn't get that close. I think the envelopes on the andromeda are the hardest things to unlock reliably, a lot of possibilities there.

I like your taste in gear! I have an RE-501 and reaper on the computer, but just for recording (mainly go to tape then tape to computer).

Less time to spend can mean less music, but that's where tape has helped me out a bunch. it sounds good easier, and it could sound better if I recorded it to the computer and spent lots of time on each track and then summing through my console, but it takes much more time and it's not the part I enjoy doing. Much prefer computers for experimenting.
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to have a 4 track cassette recorder! Man that's so long ago Smile
We have come far.....

I fired up the A6 today, first time in a while, and it sounds different to the last time I played. Sounds so creamy and gooey. Maybe the vintage aging of the components has begun Very Happy
I remeber the A6, when new, had a more metallic edge to the upper end of the frequency. I'm not hearing it anymore!
It actually reminds me of the squishy drifty sound of my Akai VX90/AX73 now.

What your refering to is the Roland envelope bonk sound. The Junos have it a bit, the MKS80 a litte, the JP8 not so much, but the SH2 and 101 have it. My memory is a bit hazy, thank goodness someone transcribed all my discoveries in the Tips and Tricks document! Smile
But I always had a hold segment in the A6 envelopes to get a bit of that bonk, but I experimented a lot and could never quite achieve it.
Log3 for first stage, and log1 for the decay stage

The gooey tone of the A6, especially now after all the aging, makes it even harder to achive that dry, hard bonk tone of the older Rolands.
elmacaco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! Maybe it just sounds better than you remember it? Compare it to recordings.

Thanks, I will try the Log3/log 1 for the envelope, yeah, My SH-2 has it as well as the Juno 106. Interesting that the Jupiter 8 has it less so.

yeah I use the flat top with decay 1 to simulate the flat peak of the Minimoog envelope as described in the tips and tricks, also redicing the envelope level makes it sound better somehow (improves resolution). So many great tips.
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually one trick I used to get a faster envelope type bonk was to use 2 decay stages. Instead of one bigger decay, I split it into 2.
The 2nd decay stage about halfway down.

This way the inital decay drops down quickly, but the 2nd decay stage is a little slower.

Allows for this with the 12db filter. The 12db SEM filter has better resonance for bonking sounds
http://www.mediafire.com/?ouu8ijm51b32gep
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another way is to invert the envelope and use the first stage as your decay, log2 sounds good. I do this with drum sounds, much snappier sounding, since the filter envelope is already open, and just needs to be closed.

Just add a 2ms envelope delay/hold at the start
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: