electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Setting up Ubuntu
Page 1 of 3 [52 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Setting up Ubuntu
Subject description: What should I do?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey folks, good news! I am posting to you from Linux! Ubuntu on my netbook to be exact. This is so cool. Now I need to poke around a bit and set things up. I take it i'll need jack and of course ChucK miniAudicle, then what software for streaming? Is there anything I can configure? I'd like to make the external monitor higher resolution, how do I do that? Any other advice?
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about "VLS" for streaming? It's the streaming version of VLC player, not sure if that supports the protocol(s) you need.

I never used a second monitor with Ubuntu, doesn't System/preferences/Display cover this? I heard support for that was improved recently. You may also want to see whether there are proprietary drivers for your video card, then look at the settings for those.

mrcold

Audio files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up Ubuntu
Subject description: What should I do?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Hey folks, good news! I am posting to you from Linux! Ubuntu on my netbook to be exact. This is so cool. Now I need to poke around a bit and set things up. I take it i'll need jack and of course ChucK miniAudicle, then what software for streaming? Is there anything I can configure? I'd like to make the external monitor higher resolution, how do I do that? Any other advice?

good for you! Linux is good for you...

I've not tried using jack with ChucK yet.. and Jack is a little complicated to get going (but it IS really nice when you do get it together).

VLC can stream.. but for that I've used IceCast which is pretty easy to set up.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK thanks folks. Yes, Kas, I found the video settings. Next I need to find jack (the package manager does not have it) and figure out how to compile miniAudicle. I'll give IceCast a try, thanks mrcold.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, so I go to install ChucK and the installation instructions tell me a bunch of stuff about wxwidgets which my system does not have. I figure out how to download it and unzip it. Now I have several readme files and I don't know which one to read. What window manager does Ubuntu use by default. I know it's Gnome but there is no gnome readme.

Sorry, I may need a little help at firist but i'll get it going soon.

Les

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is nothing easier than Ubuntu.When my grandmother set it up she just did sudo apt-get sz_awk2.3.rel and then xargs ls /dev/bidsk/[#-3] | stae > d.txt; ufw - /mnt/homenode! I mean that's all you have to do once you've done `wc /usr/share/rsrc/inod-c-grk.log` | cat - > /tmp/fs7.2.cq (of course).

Edit: I feel a need to add a smiley here: jocolor

/Stefan

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hahahahahha you smart aleck! Wise guy eh? Woob woob woob!
pulsewidth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been adding miniAudicle to a couple of machines lately so the list of packages to add is reasonably fresh in my head. Here we go..

For JACK:
libjack0 libjack0-dev libjackasynlibjackasyn-dev qjackctl(for a JACK config and connection GUI)

For WX Widgets
libwxbase2.6-0 libwxbase2.6-dev libwxgtk2.6-0 libwxgtk2.6-dev wx2.6-headers wx-common

For the actual building of miniAudicle
build-essentials flex byacc bison (one or two of these may be superfluous, but have not gotten in the way of anything)

for ChuCK
libsndfile1 libsndfile1-dev

Another thing to consider is that the current miniAudicle Linux package cantains a slightly older version of ChuCK (1.2.1.0 if memory serves). To use a newer ChuCK, download the 1.2.1.2 package and extract it in to the miniAudicle folder. Next, using the Nautilus filemanager, delete the ChuCK 1.2.1.0 folder and the folder simply labelled chuck(this is actually a link to the chuck 1.2.1.0 folder). Right-click on the chuck 1.2.1.2 folder and select 'Make Link' from the menu that appears. A new 'link to chuck 1.2.1.2' icon will appear. Rename this to 'chuck', again by right-clicking on the new link icon and selecting 'rename' from the menu.

At this point you should be ready to build miniAudicle. Open a terminal in the miniAudicle directory and type 'make linux-jack'. Your computer will now be building the program. If all goes well, a new folder 'wxw' will appear in the miniAudicle folder. Contained therein is the miniAudicle binary. Click it and commence to ChuCKing!

Hopefully I've left nothing out. Once again, this is off the top of my head-I didn't actually take notes(what a concept-actually documenting something...)

Good Luck!
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pulsewidth, thank you for all that help. to clarify, i use the package manager (or more specifically add/remove programs) to get all those packages, right?
pulsewidth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes you can use the Synaptic package manager to do all of that. The Add/Remove GUI doesn't show things like libraries and dev packages, though. It's there mostly so that you can add things like another text editor, or a media player- actual programs, not the bits you need to build them.
You can also to in from the command line, and it will save you from hunting down all the packages to select them in the GUI.

For the record:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libjack0 libjack0-dev libjackasyn0 libjackasyn-dev qjackctl libwxbase2.6-0 libwxbase2.6-dev libwxgtk2.6-0 libwxgtk2.6-dev wx2.6-headers wx-common build-essentials flex byacc bison libsndfile1 libsndfile1-dev

I can totally understand not wanting to use the command line at first, but eventually one finds that that it can be quicker for a lot of things. Installing packages is one of them...
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get the following:

E: Couldn't find package libjack0-dev

What's up?

Les

pulsewidth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OOPS!
it's actually libjack-dev

Sorry!
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok that works. now:

E: Couldn't find package build-essentials

x_x

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't use ubuntu, but I'd recommend getting a package manager.

Code:
apt-get install synaptic
pulsewidth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

like I said, this is mostly off the top of my head.

It's actually build-essential (no 's' at the end)

Sorry, Inventor. You might actually get this done despite my help...
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok pulsewidth, it got a lot further now it gives me a prompt which says:

80% [42 Libqt4-qt3support 773851/1366kB 56%]

and it wouldn't take any Y or N or Q so i ctrl-C's out of it. What's next?

pulsewidth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did it just stop at that point or what ?
It looks like it's trying to get the QT toolkit files for qjackctl. Unfortunately qjackctl uses a different GUI toolkit that the majority of programs that are typically installed in Ubuntu, so when you ask to install qjackctl, apt (the underlying mechanism for package installation)
recognizes the dependencies and downloads them as well. When you try again, just let it percolate for a while. It should eventually grab all that you need.

BTW, what version of Ubuntu are we working with here, and what kind of netbook (the latter for my own curiosity. I've installed ubuntustudio on a MSI Wind...)
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah it just stopped but now i ran it again and it worked fine.

Not sure what to do next

Les

pulsewidth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, if it's done and didn't complain again, then it's time to build miniAudicle.

Open a Terminal (it's in the Accessories submenu on the Main menu).
Now, I'm not sure how your stuff might be set up, but if you've downloaded miniAudicle, it ended up in either your home directory, or your Desktop. I also believe that you've already unzipped that miniAudicle package, correct ?

In the terminal, type pwd. This will tell you what directory you are in.
You will likely be in /home/Inventor, or whetever you've entered as your username. if you are indeed in /home/<your_username>, then type ls. This will list the contents of the directory you're in. If you see
miniAudicle-0.1.3.8 listed, type cd miniAudicle-0.1.3.8 to change directories. Once you are in the miniAudicle directory (type pwd again to confirm) you can type make linux-jack and the build process will start. Alternately, you can update ChuCK as I described in my first post.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK pulsewidth, that's great and it seems to have worked, but I don't see ChucK in any pulldown menus. How do i run it?
pulsewidth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the miniAudicle-0.1.3.8 folder there will be a newly created folder called wxw. Within this folder is the miniAudicle binary. There are two ways to run it:
Command-line (make sure you are inthe wxw directory)
./miniAudicle

From Nautilus:
Click your way in to the miniAudicle folder and simply doule-click the
miniAudicle icon.

But, before you even start miniAudicle, you need to start JACK.
Fire up JACK Control from the menu to start up qjackctl. Click the setup button on the GUI. For a typical netbook using Intel HDA chipset the following settings should be OK, but if anyone has found some better settings, then I welcome their input:

Frames/period : 128
Sample Rate : 48000 (Important for Intel HDA)
Periods/Buffer : 3 (also important)

Make these changes and Save and OK. Now start JACK by clicking the Start button. If all is well, then the little display should show Started, but It probably won't. Go back to Setup and unclick the Realtime checkbox. This will only be applicable if you're using a realtime kernel, which is installed with Ubuntu Studio.
After unchecking Realtime click Save and OK again, then return to the main GUI and click start. You should then see some items in the Connections window. Now you can start miniAudicle. When you start miniAudicle and fire up the Virtual Machine, you'll see Chuck objects in the qjackctl Connections window. They should auto-connect to the system objects, so you should be ready to go...(slowly getting there. Thanks for your patience)
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome pulsewidth and thanks to you and Les for that great rundown on how to install Chuck! Very Happy I've thought some about putting chuck in on my Asus EEE running Ubuntu - this is further inspiration.

/Stefan

P.S. sorry about the "episode" earlier - this work assignment with 4-hours-a-day commuting as part of the package is starting to get on my nerves...

pulsewidth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the welcome!
Hopefully the info I've provided is reasonably helpful and accurate.
The next step would be installation of a realtime kernel and some other tweaks, but those topics are documented in many places, such as the Ubuntu Forums and the Linux Audio Users (LAU) mailing list, and I don't want to be too redundant...
wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For those who don't like to compile it yourself, try the Fedora distribution with Planet CCRMA. If you like I'll post a tutorial to set up a small linux musical workstation within 45 minutes!
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And they wonder why Microsoft did do well Smile
Page 1 of 3 [52 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: