electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
whats new on the g2 besides reverb?
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
settle

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: whats new on the g2 besides reverb? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just sold my nord g1 and should be getting a new g2 rack in the next week. what i was wondering is, what exactly is new in the g2? is there anything new with the sequencers? can u asign midi controller to random botton? anything cool?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi settle, welcome !

Would this http://www.clavia.se/G2/G2_NM_comparison_chart.htm answer your questions ?

Jan.
settle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thnks for the link but id really like know if there have been added features on the nm seqencers.
thanks
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, some things did change for the sequencers.

I like the new control sequencer, which really is a table lookup module.

And I do know that people did some recorder thingies with the sequencers, and more (most) buttons can now be coupled to MIDI CC's. Apparently it's easier now to chain sequencers, but I'm not really into sequencing myself.

Why don't you download the editor and manual from the Clavia site and see for yourself ? After all it is possible to explore a lot without having a synth connected.

Jan.
settle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeh im doing that right now. and also looking through this site. im really amazed at some of the mp3s here, from just noodles, unreal...im so excited..looks like people including urself r doing granular synthisis aswell. wow. thanks for the site and the help
settle
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome settle

You can even download the G2 editor software, so you can actually make patches - although you won't be able to play them without a G2.

The big new thing with the sequencers isn't that they are improved, which they are, but that you can transfer their output to other slots, or to external MIDI devices. This opens up the possibilites quite dramatically. Also, it is very easy to assign the knobs of the sequencers to the G2's front panel, or to MIDI CC assignments.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, don't forget the obvious: incredible new "control surface". The combination of knob/button/LED/LCD is very efficient. 4 audio ins, and 1 mic in. USB editor is much faster than the older MIDI connection.

And, some of the lesser known things: Internal Audio & MIDI bussing between slots, MIDI output CC & Notes (I'm just beginning to scratch this surface...for noodling that includes external effects & sounds).
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
Also, don't forget the obvious: incredible new "control surface".

ehm ... wasnt settle getting a rack ?-)

Jan.
General Elektrick

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And beside the reverb which gives nice possiblities for people
who are into reverb(not everbody is on the forum Very Happy )
there are the delay modules and other new EFX modules like scratch
pitch shift and a whole section of new shaper and distorsion modules.
Not forgetting about the nice string oszillator and the noise oszillator and a nice bunch of new random stuff drunken bom cyclops blackeye
the user interface of the editor is improved as well!

You will like it!
settle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what do YOU use these new random modules for? just wondering. i luv random stuff.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use the random pattern modules to trigger basslines and stuff. It's heaps better than using sampled and held noise cause there's a loop function, so it will generate say 16 pitches and loop those 16 pitches until you change pattern number. Also, each pattern number's pattern remains the same until you re-seed the module. This, coupled with a Note Quantize and a second random pattern module set to trigger creates endless cool bassline riffs (or leads) Smile.
General Elektrick

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am into the so called noodles, a soundworld that is a composition on its own. i use random modules to change groove structures, to trigger cord progressions or to make the whole patch more or less unpredictable.
Here on the list there are some incredible noodle experts like Jan Punter or G2IAN.
And here you can find an MP3 example of a performance made by me containing a lot of random stuff, but it is a sort of old school random as it was made with the old OS the update gave us a lot more of random module Very Happy

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-2543.html
settle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so, how exactly, just for the sake of discusion(and maybe i can learn something more), do u use a random module to change chord progression? what r u using to make chord progressions? i looked at that ptch and didnt see any random modules. i wont be getting my g2 until wednesday so please tease me. like i said i owned a g1 for 4 or 5 years and i would just use sequencers to make patterns of strange things. all these new math modules and stuff have me confused and excited....thanx
settle
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: