electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla 111 Ring Mod Layout
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject:  Re: audio sample Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, that's a ring mod alright. No question Very Happy

Doesn't someone sell matched transistor pairs now? I think maybe MFOS.
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bridechamber too.
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe I was lucky but I managed to calibrate mine down without matching transistors. However, if you really must, why not build the Frijitz transistor matcher, save yourself some money...
http://electro-music.com/forum/download.php?id=25772
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i shd be getting my prototype boards next week... any details on how to trim this?
RSFC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey flux, do you plan on offering PCBs for sale?
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RSFC wrote:
hey flux, do you plan on offering PCBs for sale?

if there's interest, yes.

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure there'd be plenty of interest if you posted a PCB sale notice here and on muff's. thumb up
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

any additional hints on how to trim this thing up? i'm not clear on the actual function of each of the 4 trimmer pots...

b

-minus-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm bread boarding this at the moment just to check that it works before I lay out a stripboard design.

On the original Buchla schematic, R14 is labelled as 10K and R19 is just labelled 10. Is this 10 Ohms? I noticed vtl5c3 has both these resistors as 10 Ohms. I assume that what ever value they are meant to be, they are to be alike. Any opinions on this? I'm still breadboarding through the night... just waiting for sunrise and the local store to open so I can get more 680 Ohm resistors. In the mean time I'll try with 10 Ohms and and then with 10K just to see.
-minus-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have this working on bread board. Well at least I think it is working. It sounds similar to the clip posted on page 1.

I'm unsure about the trimming. Those trim pots were put in the circuit for a reason. The 20K one seems to affect the sound the most when turned. R10, R14 and R19 appear to be fine tuning to balance the matched transistor pairs. I used Yves simple method, but spent a bit of time matching about 40 transistors.

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-276867.html

So I guess there are some measurements to take with a voltmeter around these matched pairs. I'm wondering if it matters which input the carrier signal goes into. Also, I'm using triangle oscillators as I have yet to get around to building ones which output sine waves. I was unable to calibrate until no sound was present as LektroiD did. I'll post further findings here.
-minus-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YAY! Just got it working! Cool

CARRIER into signal input 1

Sounds great. Really bell like. I'll play around with the trimming and see what happens. I'll be strip boarding this in the next couple of days I imagine. I'll post the diagrams in case anyone else wants to make one.
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

checking against the schematic: under each of the 2 transistor pairs in the upper left (Q1/2 and Q3/4), there are 2 resistors tying the emitter pairs together, in parallel w/ the two 1k trimmers. on the layout, both of these are shown as 10 ohm; on the schematic one of these is 10k. those of you who've built this successfully: what are you using?
-minus-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK... On my breadboard I tried both the 10K and the 10 ohm resistors. I even tried one 10K and one 10 ohm. I don't think it matters a hell of a lot to be honest. My gut feeling is that they should be 10K. It seems more than likely a K was omitted than a K was accidentally inserted. Confused I've stripboarded this and will be posting a diagram in the next few hours. I have used 10K on my stripboard and the circuit seems to be working fine. Be prepared for an hour of tuning those trimmers trying to figure out what is what. Laughing

...and just ignore my carrier into signal input 1 comment:oops:. I don't think it matters. I'm feeding both inputs triangles and it goes "WWWWWeeeeeeOOOOOOOowwwwwwWWWW" regardless.
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm pretty sure I used 10 ohm resistors. I have an earlier version of the 111 schematic and it shows 10 Ohm under both pairs.

fluxmonkey wrote:
checking against the schematic: under each of the 2 transistor pairs in the upper left (Q1/2 and Q3/4), there are 2 resistors tying the emitter pairs together, in parallel w/ the two 1k trimmers. on the layout, both of these are shown as 10 ohm; on the schematic one of these is 10k. those of you who've built this successfully: what are you using?
-minus-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All right. I might pull out the 10K resistors and try 10 Ohm. Perhaps it does seem a little large a value going across the pot outer legs.

EDIT: Just did parallel resistance calculation.

With a 10 Ohm resistor across a 1K trim pot we get:

9.900990099009901 Ohms

With a 10K resistor across a 1K trim pot we get:

909.0909090909091 Ohms

Obviously there is a difference. But are they not just 'balancing' those two pairs? I'm not an expert but I do not think the value is crucial here. The 10 Ohms give you very little range to play with in terms of trimming though... I might pull out the 10K resistors I have a see.
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

with Romeo's permission, I am considering organizing a short run of PCBs for this project. Go HERE for more information or to register interest.

Note: I am not taking preorders at this time, just gauging interest. All updates will be made via that thread.

thx!
b

vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's a sample i just recorded ,sounds like bells still i'm not sure i tuned it right there is little bit more bleedtrough on one input ,thanks for the layout ,used BCM transistors for the matched pairs

buchla ring modulator.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  buchla ring modulator.mp3
 Filesize:  4.44 MB
 Downloaded:  1364 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: