electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
The Lunetta Show
Page 2 of 2 [46 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
clarke68

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Believe me, I'm looking forward to hearing some clips as I put things together as well! It'll probably be a while, with other projects backed up and a generally busy life. The journey is the destination, right?

Gotta tell ya tho, your unit is a big inspiration to keep at it.
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a new one, first time I've played with the Lunetta in ages.

March of the modems

It's a little experiment using a CD4089 rate multiplier chip. The CD4089 is fed by a load of clocks and the 4051/4017 melody generator and what you hear is the end result. It gets a bit boring after a while but if you skip to about 2.15 it gets more interesting, I got bored and started twiddling things Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

slacker wrote:
March of the modems

Nice one!

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great job slacker - Thanks for sharing the clip!

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK got March of the Modems by slacker in the Lunetta/show2 directory. I'm still decompressing from EM09 so I'll give it a listen when I can. We're on our way to show 2 now!

Les

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

25 minutes is almost 1/2 a show? K. That answers my PM'd question about a time limit. That basically kills my thoughts of submitting my first ever noise recording that totals to 30 minutes. Sad

There is a division in it though, at about 1/2 way through - that being the reason I'd given it a divided name originally - Wandering Minds / Wondering Doubts. Should I submit to here for you, the entire piece? Or would you a rather a link to my website that has it publicly available, due to it's size?

I'll keep that potential show length limit in mind as well, when I begin work on my first new piece since June, this coming week. I haven't an idea how I'll approach things yet for sure, but it sure wont be some 'happy elevator music' that you hear every now and then. Very Happy

A recent new idea that I had for an XOR'd clock driving the Melody Generator, just came to mind. Wink I'll have to bread board that, before I begin recording ... Twisted Evil
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rich, well the show is only one hour long, so yeah a 30 minute song would be a bit much. Maybe you can edit it to 10 minutes or so? I play 10 minute songs sometimes. Please post them to this thread, that's the easiest way for me to get them, plus posting helps with licensing issues. Not that anyone of us really cares about the licensing, but it's a technicality that we like to adhere to on the radio.

I'm excited about doing another Lunetta show, maybe once again Stanley Lunetta will be able to listen in and maybe even join in the chatroom. Good to see you on board Rich.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way folks, I thought of an idea. Some of us like the raw, hardcore nature of Lunettas, but others new to Lunettas find them too harsh. I was wondering if I should create a "Lunetta filter" in ChucK on my machine and play the lunettas through it using soundFlower for audio routing. This could "take the edge off" of the works, though some may prefer them in their original form. Just let me know. Good idea or no?

Les

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Otay. I've grabbed the 1/2 hour piece form my tunes web page and I'm loading it into Audacity. I'll split it into it's 2 composed halves and post each of them individually.
If I recall correctly, the 2nd half is the more intense of the 2, though the 1st half does have it's own intense moments as well.

For the moment, it's description - "This piece was recorded using the Miller WD-12 synthesizer. (It was built Without Drill; 1st attempt; 2 main square wave oscillators (CD4011 NAND gate oscillators). There were also 2 other square wave oscillators (CD4011) that could modulate the On / Off cycles of the other 2, creating Pulse Width Modulated waveforms; 4 pitch controls and 2 switches for selecting either Modulate or Oscillate.)

"The effects that the unit was played live through were: Art Dr. X; Digitech DSP-128 and the Boss SE-50."

Listening to a portion of the 2nd half, I remember that some of the effects that were used in the effects unit included:

- 1 octave down pitch shifting (along with original)
- 10+ second 'dark' reverb (to provide a 'floor' for everything to ride on
- at least 1 delay effect

And the spoken intro to the first half was done through the Roland SVC-350 vocoder.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK Rich, got your songs now. We have songs from four artists totaling somewhere in the neighborhood of an hour, so to me that makes a show. We might even go over time a bit.

Right now everyone is recuperating from EM09, so we'll wait a week or two before airing. I was thinking 7pm EST on a Thursday. That would be 4pm EST in California where Stanley Lunetta lives. I'll have to check with Howard when Stanley would like to hear the show. Plus I gotta actually *listen* to the stuff first and compile descriptions and I'm busy like everyone else, so give me a few weeks to pull this one together.

The show must go on!

Les

RF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
I was wondering if I should create a "Lunetta filter" in ChucK on my machine and play the lunettas through it using soundFlower for audio routing. This could "take the edge off" of the works, though some may prefer them in their original form. Just let me know. Good idea or no?

Les

I'd say no. If the creator of the clip was so inclined, I think they would EQ or use other effects on it before submitting.
That's my take on it.

bruce

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
Inventor wrote:
I was wondering if I should create a "Lunetta filter" in ChucK on my machine and play the lunettas through it using soundFlower for audio routing. This could "take the edge off" of the works, though some may prefer them in their original form. Just let me know. Good idea or no?

Les

I'd say no. If the creator of the clip was so inclined, I think they would EQ or use other effects on it before submitting.
That's my take on it.

bruce

Hmm, good point bruce. Though I would apply a filter myself, it is inappropriate to modfy the work of others. I think part of enjoying a Lunetta is listening for the tones that underly the scratchiness, just like the scratchiness of a violin being played. It's part of the character of the piece. Just because someone like Sunshine does not appreciate Lunettas does not mean that they need to be filtered. OK, I won't do it!

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard gave me Stan Lunetta's email address and I contacted him about show times. I'd like to arrange it so that he can listen and join us in the chatroom like last time. Right now I'm waiting to hear back from him.

I also realized that there is no need for me to do a whole bunch of show preparation because all the info and the ability to play the Lunetta songs is built right into this thread. All I have to do is read from your posts and click on the song links to play the audio. My setup is such that I can do this.

So in the future, what we can do is when you post your Lunettas, you can compose a little message containing exactly what you'd like me to read plus your songs. You'll be preparing your own mini show segments and I'll just run the show right off of my web browser. How cool is that?

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and since I'll be running the show directly from this thread, maybe it would be a good idea to post photos of your Lunettas to the thread also. On the show I'll verbally direct the audience to this thread and they can follow along on their browsers and look at the pictures. This is getting more and more fun all the time.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, Stan said that Tuesday Nov 24 would be a good day. I still don't know if he will be in the chatroom for the show, but he was last show. The time of the broadcast will be 23:00 GMT which is 6pm EST and 3pm PST. I will air all of the music that was posted since the previous show, and it doesn't matter if we run over time because there is no show after us. So Rych, we will air your songs in their entirety. Cool

Les

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OMfrickin'GAWD! This setup for you Les, is phenomenal! Surprised And if STAN could / would be there? I'm almost speechless! Surprised

Sorry I haven't gotten another piece done yet! Since last Monday I've returned from my 5 month building sabbatical and I've been in INSANE STRENGTH design mode for my 1V/octave sequencer's new controller!

I will try my dangest to have something ready, WAY before Tuesday! (I'll shoot it on video at the same time.) I never DID take a photo of my first noise machine ever. Sad I can easily have photos of my current moster-collective though. Very Happy (2 x 19" racks and my purple cabinet.)

K. Will do my best to get something new done.

And ALL of my stuff for the show! I'll BE here! Very Happy

MANY, MANY thanks for all of your troubles! Very Happy
Psyingo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

reposting these here for you les.

www.bitkins.com/ruin/schrang.mp3
"Schrang"
This is a 'pure' lunetta tune, as i didn't use any external sounds. so all the generation is going on within the units. some shift register noise for the 'hihats'. and gate doing the bass note and a somewhat complex patch doing the melody, just a bunch of shift registers being clocked fairly slowly with some asynchronous clock inputs. there is a diode VCA with an env creating the dynamics on the melody.
Alot ofpeople like to sit back and let the lunetta play, but i can't resist really, and since my lunetta is too small to be able to do anything i dive in and mess around.

"PSTechno"
www.bitkins.com/ruin/papsmear_technoz.mp3
This one has input coming from an Er-1, providing the perc. it also serves to sync up the drones and beeps. this one is much more grating and brash compared to schrang. im using a 64bit shift register in here to do a soft of buffer override on the er-1. has the same random melody patch as schrang doing the low bass stuff. Robots doing the human dance.
RF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les - Did the Lunetta show on Tuesday get recorded?
I was, unfortunately, on the road during showtime... ;(

Sorry I missed it.

bruce

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bruce, the Lunetta show got aired an hour early and I was all sleepy so my announcing was no good. Plus sTANg couldn't be on the show because it was an hour early. I want to do another show. Let me talk to Stan.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stan replied to my email and he is all go for a repeat show. It will be a two-hour show on a Tuesday. We will set date and time later. Stan wants to do a video of his cube and the powersupply went kaput on it (it was built in the 80s). So let's give Stan some time to get his demo together and then we'll do a show.

I'll use the music that we already have in the thread, that was enough for two one-hour shows so it will be enough for a 2 hour show as well.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At Mathe's request, I have posted the design files for the eChucK Lunetta breakout board. They are here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-274444.html#274444

Now you can use Eagle to plan out your circuits ahead of time.

Les

Page 2 of 2 [46 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: