electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Modular polyphony issue..not changing despite voice increase
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jensen sportag

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Modular polyphony issue..not changing despite voice increase Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all. I recently acquired a Nord Modular and happily report that this, my first forray into modular synthesis, is a welcome addition to my set up. As a newbie to the Nord, I am still struggling to totally wrap my head around the concept of modular. I'm making progress but have noticed that all of the patches seem to resign to monophonic even if I designate more than one voice or not. For example, I tried to modify the Classic Vocoder patch by increasing it to an 8 voice patch and it still plays as mono. On the synth, in System preferences it shows that the patch is in fact an 8 voice patch. So I am at a crossroads. What am I missing ? I have TONS to learn with this little beastie but this is such an elementary move to get stuck on that I can't really get on with it. All help is appreciated!
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: pholyphony Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you don't have a expanded Modular and you use only 1 slot, you can make a patch of 100% dsp load, and have 4 voices.(expanded would be 8 voices). You may ask for 12 or 36, but you only get 4Smile . Now, load some patches in the other slots as well and active them. You'll see with every slot activation the polyphony will decrease. It can be a hard job to make patches less DSP consuming, but it's worth. A trick is to do as less is possible in the voice area, but more in the fx area. If you have , f.i. a 6 voice patch with a phaser in the voice area, try to put the phaser in the FX area. ( the phaser will be calculated 6 times in the voice area, and only 1 time in the FX area). Always look if you can cheap up your patches. Like do I need a Osc A, if I only use a Saw Wave. Hope this answers your question. Greets, Roland
jensen sportag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the good info Roland Very Happy I will def. keep that in mind when constructing new patches. However, even the presets only respond mono. I can pull up any patch and it will be monophonic; not polyphonic. Is there a reason for this? I can't figure it out. Sad
Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: pholphony Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you have it in 1 slot, and the others aren't active? It should be 4 voices. Otherwise, send in your patch please.
jensen sportag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can open any patch in any slot and it remains mono. Usually just operate with one slot active. In the editor, it shows that the patch is multivoice, yet it doesn't respond as such. This accounts for every patch.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi jensen, welcome to the forum !

I assume you are talking about the G2, but you did not write so anywhere.

Before going into it, it would be good I think to first know exactly what we are talking about.

Jan.
jensen sportag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey! No, I don't have a G2, but the Nord Modular. As far as a description, I can only say that whenever I open a patch, whether it be a factory installed one or a new one, the instrument will only play monophonically. This applies to every patch, almost like it is a global setting in the synth itself. Does this make sense?
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, try this:

1) Open a patch (any patch)
2) Make sure there is nothing in the other slots, and delete anything that is
3) Now, make sure that the only slot active is the one with the patch loaded into it. To activate/deactivate slots, press the corresponding slot button on your modular's front panel.
4) Turn the polyphony of the patch you loaded in up to 2 and see if you can play 2 notes at once. If that doesn't work then I'm stumped Question
Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: pholyphony Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jensen is talking/writing about a Nord Modular. But If you're talking G2,
Jan is right. maybe you use the MONOKEY module to trigger voices.
You'll only get 1 voice. With the KEYBOARD module, you'll get pholyphony.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: