electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
The Karplus Strong eChucK DIY Project
Page 2 of 24 [577 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a photo of the mysterious chopsticks. It is a proto board with a notch cut out of it and when seen from that angle it looks like chopsticks. Sorry photo is blurry.

Actually I'm surprised that you guys were distracted by the chopsticks so much that you missed the reflection of the UFO in the background! Laughing

chopsticks.jpg
 Description:
The mysterious chopsticks
 Filesize:  148.47 KB
 Viewed:  832 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

chopsticks.jpg

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a sort of test-fit, I did a board placement this morning, shown below. While the BS part of the BSG fits nicely, there is little room left for the G part (KS). So what I'm thinking of doing is simplifying the LEDIL logic somehow. I'll let you know how that goes.

Les

BSG_board1.jpg
 Description:
bsg board layout
 Filesize:  199.16 KB
 Viewed:  807 Time(s)

BSG_board1.jpg

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I simplified the LEDIL to make more room on the board, and now there is plenty of space. You can see two sections of LEDIL in the attached schematic. There are no series resistors with the LEDs and no transistor buffer stages either. I may have to adjust the bias and gain of the output, but at least I think the output will be correct.

The performance difference here is that the input LEDs will get dimmer when there are more of them on at the same time, but that saves on battery life and makes for a more interesting display perhaps, so it's not really a negative.

BSG_schematic2.jpg
 Description:
LEDIL Schematic, simplified
 Filesize:  46.88 KB
 Viewed:  878 Time(s)

BSG_schematic2.jpg

droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking great, you're really cranking on this , go, go, go, go.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ty droffset, i need motivation like that. Shown is a layout with simplified LEDIL and two opamp chips on the output. Should be enough room for a KS circuit, should I ever get to testing that. Bet I should huh? Anyways ty and best wishes droffset.

Les

BSG_board2.jpg
 Description:
getting there
 Filesize:  170.87 KB
 Viewed:  810 Time(s)

BSG_board2.jpg

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK folks, I'm ready for a design review. The attached files are the schematic and board files for the BSG board, or BSKS as I've been calling it. I'd appreciate if anyone could review them and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Les

BSKS4.sch
 Description:
Schematic

Download
 Filename:  BSKS4.sch
 Filesize:  154.67 KB
 Downloaded:  914 Time(s)

BSKS4.brd
 Description:
Board

Download
 Filename:  BSKS4.brd
 Filesize:  56.36 KB
 Downloaded:  889 Time(s)

Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les,

these are Eagle files? Just checking.

regards, Dan
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

antman49443 wrote:
Les,

these are Eagle files? Just checking.

regards, Dan

Yes they are Eagle CAD files.

Les

toad008

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: yo inventor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dude i like the pictures! Smile Where do i apply to be your lab studio slave? haha serious ... droooollllll

Toadie Shocked Shocked Shocked
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les,

If you can wait until the weekend, I'll see what I can do to review. Too many pushy customers are driving me crazy right now. State Machine can vouch for my pcb work.

regards, Dan
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On your boolean sequencer, what effect would using binary counters instead of decimal counters?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

antman, sure I'm happy to wait for the weekend, I'm a little burned out after all that work.

Howard, This thing needs a binary counter, yes. I changed the counter from a 4017 decade counter to a 4040 binary counter for just that reason, it's what I need for the job. I had misunderstood and thought that a 4017 was a 10-bit binary counter, but now that I've seen it used in the baby 10, I realize my mistake.

To all, some issues I am concerned with are: will the new LEDIL really work? I have just thought it out and not constructed it. Also will the Karplus-Strong circuit work with this very simple implementation? I'm concerned about the HF pulsed input burst not doing the job and also the AC and DC bias are tied together. Maybe we can work out these details somehow and make this thing the DIY project it really should be!

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: yo inventor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

toad008 wrote:
dude i like the pictures! Smile Where do i apply to be your lab studio slave? haha serious ... droooollllll

Toadie Shocked Shocked Shocked

Toad, you are so funny, great sense of humor!

Les

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I usually drive LEDs with a buffer chip of some sort. It looks like your circuit can present some very large and quite variable loads on the counter. It's been a while since I worked with CMOS, but if I remember correctly, most logic devices aren't designed to drive loads. They look to drive very hi Z lines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I usually drive LEDs with a buffer chip of some sort. It looks like your circuit can present some very large and quite variable loads on the counter. It's been a while since I worked with CMOS, but if I remember correctly, most logic devices aren't designed to drive loads. They look to drive very hi Z lines.

Hi Howard, you're right, and Dan noticed it too (sent me a message in pm). So now I need a work-around or else I go to surface mount or else get a new CAD tool. Good thing I asked for a design review!

Les

wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isn't panel mounting the LEDs and switches an option? You save a lot of space on the PCB if you do so. Or make 2 PCBs, one for the LEDs and switches, and one for the other parts, en connect them with a few ribbon cables.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wmonk wrote:
Isn't panel mounting the LEDs and switches an option? You save a lot of space on the PCB if you do so. Or make 2 PCBs, one for the LEDs and switches, and one for the other parts, en connect them with a few ribbon cables.

Yes, I had thought of making the single board as a panel mount dealie, but your idea of two boards with one as a panel mount seems more interesting now. The idea is to make it a stand-alone board or panel mount, your choice. If I have to add buffers for LEDs and more parts for Karplus-Strong, then I'll definitely need two boards. Thanks for the suggestion, wmonk.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, another option is to do separate Boolean Sequencer and Karplus-Strong boards. This alternative makes some sense because modular synthesis folks might want to make only a K-S or only a BS board for panel mounting.

Certainly a K-S board does not seem to exist and with a whole board for K-S, we could have lots of features like pseudo-random noise burst and other input styles, filter options, etc. Besides, I do like the idea of an extended board pair for the stand-alone version rather than a sandwich board pair.

Just tossing ideas around. Clearly the board needs major revisions and I'm looking forward to reading more design review comments.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, another thing I'm not too hot about with the LEDIL is that it shows inverted bits. You see blinky lights according to your switch selections, but the lights are "on" when the logic is "off", so you only get a note when nothing blinks. This is counter-intuitive, though it still makes for a nice light show.

I'd prefer to just do it with standard LED outputs on resistors, and with a dual board approach that would work.

Les

droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is the 4049 hex inverting buffer useful here?

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:

Certainly a K-S board does not seem to exist and with a whole board for K-S, we could have lots of features like pseudo-random noise burst and other input styles, filter options, etc. Besides, I do like the idea of an extended board pair for the stand-alone version rather than a sandwich board pair.

I like the idea of a separate K-S board. You can easily add an interesting option for the modular guys: filter replacement. You add a standard 1-pole low pass filter to the board, and one can 'replace' this filter with switching sockets. I think there are many possibilities here to get all kinds of crazy sounds using different filters.

Inventor wrote:
Also, another thing I'm not too hot about with the LEDIL is that it shows inverted bits. You see blinky lights according to your switch selections, but the lights are "on" when the logic is "off", so you only get a note when nothing blinks. This is counter-intuitive, though it still makes for a nice light show.

Inverters are the solution. Or use LED bargraph displays. (http://futurlec.com/LED/LEDBARRED.shtml) They're easy to fit and save a lot of space.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jesus H Christ Les!!@!
Are you criminially insane or what?!?! Laughing
Love your work dude.
It's gonna be a week or two before I work out what the hell is goin on here!!

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks wmonk, that's just the LED bargraph part I've been looking for!

I also like the notion of a separate KS board, and with a filter option - whoot! This will go into the plans for sue!

Les

JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How many strings will the KS board support? Is it polyphonic?

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ScottG wrote:
How many strings will the KS board support? Is it polyphonic?

Hey ScottG, actually it's monophonic. It only does one string.

Les

Page 2 of 24 [577 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Jump to: