electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord stage
First impression, v 4.x sounds
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
casi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: First impression, v 4.x sounds
Subject description: new samples and factory programs
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I’ve just upgraded to version 4.12 on my NS classic, and after trying the new samples, I thought maybe I’d share some of my opinions with you.
I (still) find the Yamaha C7 Studiogrand a bit too rich, but I liked the studiogrand2 more than studiogrand1. I find the new version more “present” than the old one.

My favourite is (as before) the Steinway close miced, when it comes to solopiano and piano/soloist. I like the dark mellow sound.

I was surprised by the new Yamaha stagegrand sample. This is exactly the pianosound I’ve waited for when it comes to pop and rock bands. I’ve been slightly frustrated by the aq grand/pianos when it comes to fit into a band soundscape – but now I hope to have found the (almost) salvation.
I’ve only tested with a good headset and not through the PA yet, so this is just my first impression.
In other words: I find this to be a step in right direction from Clavia.

The synthsounds are better than before – but I’m still not too impressed.
The bass section: Why all the different bass-sounds? This instrument are not exactly the most obvious choice if you are into D & B or electronica. So maybe less of them.
The pad: This is a BIG improvement compared to my last version (OS 3.12, and v2.26 programs). Nice programs that will improve even more after some tweaks, and fx-revisions.
The synths: Booooring. The solosynths are not very “fat” or juicy, and I honestly expected more. Find them kind of “Donald duck”-sounding.

In other words: still a step in the right direction – but THIS stairway is a long one.

Just to be clear on it – I love my board; I just find it comfortable when I don’t have to tweak the sounds all the time.

Ca2
peterkadar

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One thing you can try is to layer the Blue Swede with the Stage Grand 2.. kind of gives a nicer body to the sound, but you can add the bite to taste with the volume of the Stage Grand 2 on a panel layer. And of course there's still room for strings and LH bass via the synth sections if need be.

The synth sounds are OK, but I know what you mean about the Donald Duck thing, lol. The pads are decent for sure; the synth sections lets me get most of what I need with a mimum of tweaking - which was exactly the point of its inclusion. I like trying to find ways to make it fat. Of course, dual panels are REALLY helpful with this.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord stage
Jump to: