electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Building a super keyboard, a Thummer with available equipmt
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
MusicScienceGuy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject:  Building a super keyboard, a Thummer with available equipmt
Subject description: How to build a the worlds most expressive keyboard, a jammer, from inexpensive keyboards
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've finally done it! Very Happy - I'm smiling from ear-to-ear.

Success is sweet. It''s been a looooonng road to trudge, but finally, at last, I have the proven ingredients for a full-fledged jammer, the musical instrument of my dreams, and the closest approximation to the fabled Thummer that we are ever likely to see. See my blog for details.

More to come. Now the real work begins: managing expectations and learning to play the durn thing.

Ken, Cool
MusicScienceGuy

P.S. a solid thank you to Jim Plamondon, the inventory of the jammer /Thummer.

Jammer mark III.jpg
 Description:
My Jammer, made from off the shelf equipment.
 Filesize:  30.25 KB
 Viewed:  5197 Time(s)

Jammer mark III.jpg

TonE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is the difference of your Jammer compared to using two pc keyboards connected to a single computer except the form and layout of the keys?

You seem to use for the
- forms: hexagon instead of rectangular keys
- layout: different multiline hexagon structure instead of usual qwerty pc keyboard layout

Are the advantages of applying the above written changes really so big?
MusicScienceGuy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TonE wrote:
What is the difference of your Jammer compared to using two pc keyboards connected to a single computer except the form and layout of the keys?
You seem to use for the
- forms: hexagon instead of rectangular keys
- layout: different multiline hexagon structure instead of usual qwerty pc keyboard layout
Are the advantages of applying the above written changes really so big?

I believe that they add up to what was hoped to be a "significant enhancement", but which actually I'm finding is huge, over the traditional key board, as I've written in my "musicscienceguy" blog/website here.
In particular, here's my ideal instrument, and here's how the jammer works.

Here's what I posted:
Current focus is a faster, innovative music keyboard called a jammer, similar to a Thummer. In a nutshell, we are combining current music theory, modern knowledge and simple ergonomics to produce "piano 2.0"; an improved musical keyboard, built on the $500 AXiS-49 keyboard from C-Thru It is an affordable, second generation version of the Axis-64 keyboard ($1800 or so).

I plan to shortly do some videos.
Ken.
MusicScienceGuy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There was a comment on a neighbouring thread about the cost of the Axis-49 not being cheap.
Consider this: the excellent Axis-49 design likely cost at least $250 thousand to create. Seem high?: this entails designing, creation of numerous plastic pieces prototypes, revision of design, testing design, programming and creating packaging. This has to be done by experts, who charge the big bucks (50-150 $/hour).
Thus far, I suspect they have sold 100-200 in the first six months of business. Do the math and you get a big ouch!

However, these brave people have come up with something unique.
The hexagonal design allows for completely new things to be done. For example, each point of contact between keys is another virtual key.

Want a velocity sensitive 350-note microtonal keyboard? Easy!! Cool

Ken.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: