electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla 230 Triple Envelope Follower
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Buchla 230 Triple Envelope Follower Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently made this PCB using DIY Layout Creator. It's 1/3 of the 230 Triple Envelope Follower. It's a pretty complete EF with a gate detector and built in lag, all in a very small footprint. Hopefully it might be useful to someone.

I'm still in the process of testing it. After I finished the layout, I realized that the RC4136 in the original design was not the best choice to go with here(being the only quad op-amp I can find with this pin-out). So, I'm waiting for some 4136s in the mail. Luckily, they're still available and still cheap (got mine from Small Bear).

The part numbers all follow the schematic. Some of the values listed in the layout are incorrect, but DIY Layout Creator is extremely slow and a little glitchy, so I couldn't be bothered to update all of the part values. I realize now that it's best to enter them as one goes along, rather than trying to enter them after the layout is created. Anyway, if you want to try building this, just follow the values on the schematic.

I'll post again when I finish testing.

230 Triple Envelope Fol PnP.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.19 KB
 Viewed:  46148 Time(s)

230 Triple Envelope Fol PnP.gif

Buchla_230_schematic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  304.02 KB
 Viewed:  1605 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Buchla_230_schematic.jpg

230 Triple Envelope Follower.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.05 KB
 Viewed:  1590 Time(s)

230 Triple Envelope Follower.gif

creatorlars

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is great Eric! I'm about to build a big 4U all Buchla circuits panel and was looking for more useful stuff (just Quad 281 and Quad 292 right now), and I could definitely use more envelope followers. Thanks for sharing.
simmeau

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been looking for a good envelope follower. This might be just the thing. Thanks for this. Really great Very Happy
PickNick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi!
any update?
mine doesn't work.
i used 4136, BC182B instead of 2N3566, BA158 instead of
1N457 and D3 was a 3.9V zener...
any idea?

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No updates from me-- this layout didn't work. I believe it passed audio, and I think that it output audio instead of envelope cv.

I think it's fair to say that most Buchla schematics are typically incomplete and/or with mistakes. This is no problem at all for anyone who understands the circuits, like a Marc Verbos, for instance-- but, for someone like me who merely transcribes the symbols onto a PCB layout---there's a fairly high likelihood that it won't work strictly as is.

I gave it a try however, because I very much wanted to add this module to my growing Buchla 200 reproduction. But, it didn't work, and I don't know how to correct it. So, unless, someone else--who knows what they're doing--can take over, this will be a dead project, unfortunately.

It's too bad though, this Envelope Follower is a low parts count, outwardly simple design that just gets repeated 3 times on the module. Were it to be drawn out properly, it would be a fairly quick and painless repro-- unlike the 281, or some others.
elmacaco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure if you read it this way, but on old buchla schems, lines that cross don't connect unless there is a dot drawn where they cross. you might be able to salvage this circuit if you read it that way. This schem has only a few crossing lines and there's no dot, so no connection on those intersections.
zthee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Took quite a while before I manage to figure that one out. Though he seldom makes a dot, usually offsets intersecting line a bit...

So looking at your layout, R10 should not be connected to pin 6 of the 4136 as an example..

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zthee wrote:
Took quite a while before I manage to figure that one out. Though he seldom makes a dot, usually offsets intersecting line a bit...

So looking at your layout, R10 should not be connected to pin 6 of the 4136 as an example..

Ok, when I get some time, I'll take a look at it again.
beautyofdecay_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Eric,
Reading your cloning experiments I started looking into this module and found (forgot to bookmark the url) some pictures of the internals of the 230.

It's an interesting module and there are no difficult components in this one. Mouser has everything needed in stock except the 2N3566. But looking at the schematics, I think it is used for driving the LED so it could be replaced by a generic NPN transistor.

I started on a PCB design but as my PCB designing skill is a bit rusty it could take a while Wink

Andre.

b230_1.jpg
 Description:
Buchla 230 PCB component side
 Filesize:  76.73 KB
 Viewed:  743 Time(s)

b230_1.jpg

b230_2.jpg
 Description:
Buchla 230 front panel back
 Filesize:  50.38 KB
 Viewed:  686 Time(s)

b230_2.jpg

TekniK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

beautyofdecay_ wrote:

I started on a PCB design but as my PCB designing skill is a bit rusty it could take a while Wink

Andre.

If you have a shot of the traces side of the pcb i can fullfit a pcb design very quick.
hodad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

beautyofdecay_ wrote:
Mouser has everything needed in stock except the 2N3566.
Andre.

Well, the transistors in the picture aren't 2N3566, so it probably doesn't matter too much.
Dego

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pictures are from here:

http://www.synthtech.com/pix/buchla/b230/

But no photo on the traces...
beautyofdecay_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:

If you have a shot of the traces side of the pcb i can fullfit a pcb design very quick.

Hi TekniK,

Unfortunately I did not find a picture of the traces side of the PCB (yet).
beautyofdecay_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dego wrote:
Pictures are from here:

http://www.synthtech.com/pix/buchla/b230/

Thanks Dego!
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok,i have redrawed an layout using the schematic and parts placement like on the original pcb pictured,still on paper,i will redraw it in my app. the comming days.

there are effectively errors in the redraw of ericcolleridge

I just did notice there are 25 resistors on the schematic but on the original pcb pictured i count 26.
beautyofdecay_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
I just did notice there are 25 resistors on the schematic but on the original pcb pictured i count 26.

That's fast TekniK Shocked

Concerning the resistors, I also noticed R26 was missing in the schematics. Haven' finished the cross check with the picture of the PCB component side.

I count 27 resistors in the schematic: R1 - R29. R3 is a trimmer and R26 is missing from the schematic.
Not all resistors are on the PCB however, I can see some resistors mounted on the back of the front panel. R28 and R29 are probably on the power connector?
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

somebody could tell me whats 0,Q and N encircled on the schematic (i guess 0 is gnd)?

yes r28 ,29 are those in the supply filters on the left in the schematic
beautyofdecay_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My guess is those are terminals on the power connector?

On this page there is some info about the connector: http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~lanterma/buchla/notes.html

The text in this section was kindly provided by Chris Muir. Power on a Buchla module is delivered from a dangling connector. There is a somewhere between a foot and a foot and a half of wire dangling from a module (strain relieved, of course) that terminates in an edac 306-010-500-102 connector.

1 Black: quiet ground
2 White: -15
3 Red: +15
4 Dark Green: +12
5 Orange: +5
6 Brown: noisy ground
7 polarizing key
8 Yellow: i2c clock
9 Green: i2c data
10 nc

Q = Quiet ground?
N = Noisy ground?
0 = ?
TekniK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update ,check next post
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Done! did take me more time as expexted,If some one try it ,feedback is welcome.

Pdf contains PCB + parts implementation.

230PREV.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.74 KB
 Viewed:  44066 Time(s)

230PREV.jpg

Buchla 230 Updated.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Buchla 230 Updated.pdf
 Filesize:  629.51 KB
 Downloaded:  1027 Time(s)

Last edited by TekniK on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
beautyofdecay_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great work TekniK! Thanks a lot.

I'm ordering the components so I can breadboard it first to check out if the schematics are correct.

Did you built it already?
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

beautyofdecay_ wrote:

Did you built it already?

Hehey No,am not that fast Laughing
PickNick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thx Teknik!
beautyofdecay_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wrote up a BOM for the Buchla 230 based on TekniK's PCB.

I used ferrite beads for the 22R resistors.

I do have 2 questions about your PCB, TeknIK:
1. I think there is not enough space for C4 (the 1uF capacitor near the LED), it should be as big as C1 (near the 5k trimmer)
2. You used a 50k lin pot for the audio input. In the schematic it is specified as "audio taper". Shouldn't that be a log pot?

Any errors or other remarks about the BOM, please let me know!

* Nov 2nd, BOM updated! *

Buchla 230 BOM.pdf
 Description:
Buchla 230 clone BOM based on PCB layout by TekniK

Download
 Filename:  Buchla 230 BOM.pdf
 Filesize:  57.47 KB
 Downloaded:  1063 Time(s)

Last edited by beautyofdecay_ on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

beautyofdecay_ wrote:
I wrote up a BOM for the Buchla 230 based on TekniK's PCB.

I used ferrite beads for the 22R resistors.

I do have 2 questions about your PCB, TeknIK:
1. I think there is not enough space for C4 (the 1uF capacitor near the LED), it should be as big as C1 (near the 5k trimmer)
2. You used a 50k lin pot for the audio input. In the schematic it is specified as "audio taper". Shouldn't that be a log pot?

Any errors or other remarks about the BOM, please let me know!

oeps yes the pot should be log,i can move a bit c4

Edit: pdf updated
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: