electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
My dad will die tomorrow
Page 2 of 2 [46 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
sizone

Audio files: 48

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this one's for you, Les.

wayfaringstrangertake2.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  wayfaringstrangertake2.mp3
 Filesize:  2.92 MB
 Downloaded:  602 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That song is frickin' Cool with a capital C, sizone! I can't hear the lyrics, though so can you post them? I love the video game and arcade sound you achieved in this piece. It reminds me of the old school days in the 1980's video arcades when I was a kid. I even have the song "Pac Man Fever" in my iTunes collection. If I could hear the lyrics more clearly, I'd say that song ranks right up there with "Pac Man Fever", so nice job man.

Les

p.s. and thanks, it means a lot

sizone

Audio files: 48

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

N.P.. "Wayfaring Stranger", old spiritual. Covered by just about everyone. Lyrics are inaudible mostly because my vocals are **** (also my mic).

I'm a poor wayfaring stranger
traveling through a world of woe
there's no sickness, toil or danger
in that bright land to which I go
I'm going there to see my father
and my loved ones who have passed on
I'm only going over Jordan
I'm only going over home
I know dark clouds will gather around me
I know my way, it'll be rough and steep
but beautiful fields arise before me
where men redeemed, their vigils keep
I'm going there to see my mother
she said she'd meet me when I come
I'm only going over Jordan
I'm only going over home
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les,

Condolences. I lost my mother some years ago. Your father has peace now.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les I have only just seen this thread, I am very sorry for your loss.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys, I'm doing much better today. Still in a state of shock, but doing OK. Thanks for all your thoughts and condolences, they really help. My relatives were very impressed that someone actually made a song for me, that was sweet.

Les

GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My condolences, Les.

Paolo

Some old stuff on VIRB
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les,

Take care. I remember when my father died, I felt like a little kid again who had just been forced to have no one to fall back on. I was 40 at the time and hadn't depended on my parents for any kind of material support for about 2 decades, but that's still how it felt.

It knocks a hole in the fabric for a while, and the fabric heals over after time, but with changes. I still see my father and brother (who died a year later) when I go out in the woods sometimes. Not literally, but we were all lovers of being in the woods.

See you at EM2009.

Dale

nobody

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les, I'm very sorry for your loss. I was very moved by the song you wrote and your description of your dad's passing with dignity. I'll send you good thoughts. Cool

Damien
smueske

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les, my condolences to you and your loved ones. Truly a heartbreaking event. I lost my father-in-law last year after a long bout with Lewey Body Disease. I wish I knew better what to say, but my heart is aching for you and I thought I'd just drop a line to add to the well wishes already given.

Take care,

Steve

https://soundcloud.com/steve-mueske
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les - I'm feeling your loss, too.

It's not the same as a warm handshake or friendly arm around the shoulder - but know that we're thinking of you and your family.

My dad passed away about 5 years ago - from complications of Parkinson's disease. He was gone too soon....I miss him, and often reflect on the good times we had - the differences seem fairly petty now.

Bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just did read this post. my condolences too Les.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les, Oh I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family my friend.

Be strong OK?

Most sincerely
Bill Manganaro
Keysandslots

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les, as others have said, and I apologize for not being more original, I am sorry for your loss. When my dad died a few years ago at 72, I was so busy it didn't really hit me right away. But, a few weeks later, after everyone was asleep and the house was quiet, I poured myself a shot of cognac (his favourite drink), sat alone in the dark and said goodbye.

Live for the good parts, learn from the bad parts and grieve in your own way.

Randy
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks all. My brother brought me a bunch of bagels. I was into them about half-way when I remembered that Dad had won "Best of Philly" for his pretzels that he made and sold. Each bite was like comfort food, some tears but mostly just feeling good about his life. So many accomplishments...

Les

Oskar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Thanks all. My brother brought me a bunch of bagels. I was into them about half-way when I remembered that Dad had won "Best of Philly" for his pretzels that he made and sold. Each bite was like comfort food, some tears but mostly just feeling good about his life. So many accomplishments...

Les

That's the way! Smile Having immersed myself in New Orleaninan music, I've got a glimpse of the culture behind the music, and it seems they do a bit like you, and that's contributed to the special spirit of the music emanating from that city. They mourn someone's passing but at the same time celbrate a life well lived. It's possible to do both, and probably good mental hygiene too.
Take care, my friend I think you're eminently equipped to deal with this, as you don't hide behind a mask, and although that's more painful in the short term, I believe your willingness to FEEL both the hurt and the joy will enrich you.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:

Take care, my friend I think you're eminently equipped to deal with this, as you don't hide behind a mask, and although that's more painful in the short term, I believe your willingness to FEEL both the hurt and the joy will enrich you.

This.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks again folks. Today I visited with my brother's family for the first time in years. He really wants to make an effort to reach out to me after estranging himself from the family. Although I can detect little bits of "evil Keith", the "good Keith" is on his best behavior - for now. As my brother points out, this is what Dad wanted, an end to hostilities within the family.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My friend, who wishes to remain anonymous, recorded the song lyrics that I wrote as a spoken word piece, and I added some ChucK space music that I made a while ago. See if you like it.

Les

RescueMission1.mp3
 Description:
Rescue Mission Song

Download
 Filename:  RescueMission1.mp3
 Filesize:  3.83 MB
 Downloaded:  1081 Time(s)

bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My condolences on the loss of your father. Music comfort you, Les. Take care.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way, my father's wife read this thread. She said the music was beautiful and she was in tears at how comforting all the condolances were to her. She was truly touched. Thanks all.

Les

Page 2 of 2 [46 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: