electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Buying an Andromeda
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
kilon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Buying an Andromeda Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have ordered Andromeda from Digital Village for 2040 euros , nothing is certain yet as Alesis informed the shop and the shop me that they had 2 in stock .

I would like to hear your thought on the matters and hear of course opinions of Andromeda users.

For me it has been a dream synth for far too long. So I pray that everything will go as planned.
ThreeFingersOfLove

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And so the Analog Gods have bestowed upon you the Andromeda so that the alien voices in your head cease to torment you.

Welcome.
Very Happy
nobody

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When you get yours, tell us about it. I would love to have one of those! I have a couple of things on my wish-list ahead of it, though, so it will be a while. Hopefully I'll be able to get one when I'm ready to shell out for it.
kilon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ThreeFingersOfLove wrote:
And so the Analog Gods have bestowed upon you the Andromeda so that the alien voices in your head cease to torment you.

Welcome.
Very Happy

Oh cant wait my friend, the synth of my dream will be finally in hands... oh the responsibility is soooo great

And on the other hand , I always wanted to visit the Andromeda galaxy , maybe there I can find other alien synths like this one Wink
kilon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
When you get yours, tell us about it. I would love to have one of those! I have a couple of things on my wish-list ahead of it, though, so it will be a while. Hopefully I'll be able to get one when I'm ready to shell out for it.

Well ...

Most likely I will upload several videos at youtube and several mp3 here, added to the lengthy comments I will offer.

I dont to be proud but I was the first person to upload ambient music made with 100% waldorf blofeld on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lt3q5yduY8

I wont be the first to post an 100% andromeda ambient video on youtube but I will surely contribute hopefully severals. I intend to make Andromeda the cornerstone of my sound synthesis sessions.

So rest assured that I will have LOADS to share !!!!
pinealapoptosis

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am excited for you.You will love the andromeda.

The videos on youtube are great.The months before I got my andromeda,all I did was watch youtube videos.I love seeing people playing their andromeda's.Its so badass to see peoples set ups and how they work.

I bought my andromeda last december.I left for a little stint in honolulu in february but am heading back home soon.I have been away from all my gear except my pc and a junk korg nanokey that I picked up when I first got out here.

I cant wait to get back and start digging in to the andromeda.I only had a little taste,then 2 months later I had to part with it for a short time.Hopefully I will have something worth sharing on youtube.

Cheers and good luck with the beast

kilon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good news guys ... just received my andromeda....

I have been playing with it 3 hours now.

Its sounds amazing

To all those people saying that presets suck ... well I definitely like them, strangely enough none of them really shows what the synth is capable of, but they are an excellent starting point for editing and some of them are very good.

Concerning bugs and problems , I checked Andromeda for bad voices and so far reports no problem (done the voice monitor test) , the synth does not see to behave out of the ordinary to this point.

I really love the knobs they feel so comfortable in my hands.

Not difficult to use at all, but it came with a huge manual that as far as I have read is very easy to understand.

I have not experienced any big out of tune issue so far. There is a detune in some presets but that must be intended , cause other presets sound very ordinary.

Thanks to all who motivated me into buying this beauty, I now have the tool to make the next step in music.
nobody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome, dude. I now can't decide if the next synth I should save up for is an Andromeda or a Virus T1. Razz
kilon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
Awesome, dude. I now can't decide if the next synth I should save up for is an Andromeda or a Virus T1. Razz

there is no comparison between the two , Andromeda wins hands down. Spec wise virus is a microrganism , andromeda is a gallaxy, on one hand seems like a joke on the other it also very true. There is not going to be an as advanced synth as Andromeda for the next 20 years.

Especially the modulation department of virus is a real joke.

Overhyped and Overpriced.

Polar looks very cute though.

And it costs more than andromeda too!!!

If you after a serious va, take a look at waldorf q+, nord modular g2, solaris etc.

http://www.dv247.com/keyboards-and-midi/alesis-a6-andromeda-real-polyphonic-analogue-synthesiser--2479

http://www.dv247.com/keyboards-and-midi/access-virus-ti2-keyboard-synthesizer--61828
rh2y

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kilon wrote:
good news guys ... just received my andromeda....

I have been playing with it 3 hours now.

... and you took a break to post to electro-music.com???

When I got my Andromeda, my wife had to drag me out of the room and remind me that I still hadn't eaten dinner yet, some time after midnight!

Cheers, hope you enjoy your A6 as much as the rest of us do. You will find that it continues to surprise you for years to come.

Be sure to get a memory card for it so you can experiment with creating your own patches without regard to running out of internal storage space. The Andromeda rewards long tweaking sessions.

Russ

Shameless-er plug: http://www.evatontechnologies.com/

Music: https://atomstomolecules.bandcamp.com/releases
pinealapoptosis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yay.

Post up some patches and mp3s when you get some made!

On the subject of andromeda tuning.I went through 2 andromedas,keeping the second one.Neither unit had tuning issues.Both were 2008 models.

I got back from honolulu last friday.The andromeda had not been powered on since february.It endured outdoor temps of 20 degree F to 100 F with an average warm weather humidity of around 80%.The doors of the house were left open up untill last week when the air conditioner finally had to be turned on.

When I got back on friday,I powered her up and started playing without tuning (background&temp tuning were always used).The damn thing was barely out of tune!!!

Voice issues? I call shenanigans.

In all seriousness though.It seems as though the latest models have not had the same (maybe different) issues as the previous models.

kilon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

apoptosis wrote:
Yay.

On the subject of andromeda tuning.I went through 2 andromedas,keeping the second one.Neither unit had tuning issues.Both were 2008 models.

I got back from honolulu last friday.The andromeda had not been powered on since february.It endured outdoor temps of 20 degree F to 100 F with an average warm weather humidity of around 80%.The doors of the house were left open up untill last week when the air conditioner finally had to be turned on.

When I got back on friday,I powered her up and started playing without tuning (background&temp tuning were always used).The damn thing was barely out of tune!!!

Voice issues? I call shenanigans.

In all seriousness though.It seems as though the latest models have not had the same (maybe different) issues as the previous models.

I took a brake to sleep , I was too tired.

I am not that excitable really, I love my andromeda, but I wanted to make it music, good ambient music. Not so much to just tweak it to hell.

Afterall my setup is minimum, and I see myself using Andromeda solely for the next 10 years. Plenty of time to dive deep inside it.

Great synth, amazing power. And very beatiful. Like a spaceship.
kilon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

apoptosis wrote:
Yay.

I was planning on a complete track made solely with Andromeda. Dedicated to Louis and Bebe Barons, two people that made electronic music popular in 1956.

for the time being I think you can settle with some photos

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/425112-photos-andromeda-gallaxy.html#post4606320
renevanderwouden

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Andromeda is on my wishlist as well. I had no problem with the presets. Even my Moogs have ugly presets.
BERLIN SCHOOL / RETRO / ELEKTRO / AMBIENT Music - Latest info and webshop at: www.rewo-music.com| http://www.downloadplatform.com/rewo_music/ and on Bandcamp: http://www.rewo.bandcamp.com / http://www.rene-vanderwouden.bandcamp.com and http://renevanderwouden.bandcamp.com/

http://www.renevanderwouden.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congratulations, kilon!

Looking forward to hearing your dreams interpreted with the Andromeda.

All A6 programming pros, don´t hesitate to put together your best patches and make them available on the Internet! If you´d like to charge a reasonable fee for others to download them, that is fine by me! The more attention and patches and community for the Andromeda, the better!
kilon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

renevanderwouden wrote:
The Andromeda is on my wishlist as well. I had no problem with the presets. Even my Moogs have ugly presets.

Believe it or not , I am glad that its presets suck.

This way it forces me to make my own presets. I already made 5 , very good ones (one sounds like a person drowning thanks to complex modulation) and I am sure slowly as I gain more confidence I will make much more.

It was about time to move to a different level.
analoghaze

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome tro the Andromeda Users Club.
Once you join, there is no looking back.

It is an extremely fun synthesizer.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I've owned mine for almost 2 years with no issues. It really is a monster!
kilon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

analoghaze wrote:
Welcome tro the Andromeda Users Club.
Once you join, there is no looking back.

It is an extremely fun synthesizer.

I've owned mine for almost 2 years with no issues. It really is a monster!

I think it is what the name say it is, a galaxy. Wink

Here is my first try with Andromeda, together with some photos I took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFzstSs-rf8
Finder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: self-sufficient Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kilon wrote:
audiodef wrote:

there is no comparison between the two , Andromeda wins hands down. Spec wise virus is a microrganism , andromeda is a gallaxy, on one hand seems like a joke on the other it also very true. There is not going to be an as advanced synth as Andromeda for the next 20 years.

Sir, Yes sir, affirmative!

I want to thank good people at Alesis who developed Andromeda and I want to thank those who make and assemble synthesizers for us.
Please continue making Andromeda – it is the best synthesizer on our Planet.

To those who think about buying Andromeda, please, if you want to feel good buy this machine – it will make you a better person Smile more self-sufficient
kilon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: self-sufficient Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finder wrote:
kilon wrote:
audiodef wrote:

Sir, Yes sir, affirmative!

I want to thank good people at Alesis who developed Andromeda and I want to thank those who make and assemble synthesizers for us.
Please continue making Andromeda – it is the best synthesizer on our Planet.

To those who think about buying Andromeda, please, if you want to feel good buy this machine – it will make you a better person Smile more self-sufficient

I want to add after speaking to all of people that own Virus TI that things appear alot better than I assumed. I blame solely the Virus manual which does not clear things up. It seems there some more flexibility with modulation that it does not become apparent immediately. However on the other hand it seems that formand and graintable synthesis on virus is there only to generate and fuss but in truth there are very limited and almost nothing to do with the real graintable and formant synthesis.

Virus TI is certainly a very powerful synth and one of the most powerful VAs. But I still insist that Andromeda offers more and better things.

Still I would not complain if I had gone for Virus instead of Andromeda, I think I would still be very happy. Fortunately Andromeda was available and I made my true come true.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kilon wrote:
audiodef wrote:

If you after a serious va, take a look at waldorf q+, nord modular g2, solaris etc.

http://www.dv247.com/keyboards-and-midi/alesis-a6-andromeda-real-polyphonic-analogue-synthesiser--2479

http://www.dv247.com/keyboards-and-midi/access-virus-ti2-keyboard-synthesizer--61828

I think a few people may disagree with this assessment.

The Virus TI is a fantastic synth and is in no way overhyped or overpriced.

This is of course not saying that the Andomeda is not a fantastic synth.

I would think they fall into two quite different brackets myself.

Depends what you want I suppose, maybe best to have both.
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, the Virus TI modulation is nothing to sneeze at -- and its VST integration would be very, very nice. Of all the VAs, the Virus sound is up there as one of my favorites.

But, personally, I think that all real analogs -- the A6 included -- have this "edge" that I miss on a VA. And the modulation on the A6 is fantastic (not to mention some of the real-time controls, like the giant fuzzy ribbon controller.) Ambient wise, I think that the only poly-analog that can compare to the complex analog-style pads that the A6 puts out is the Oberheim Xpander / Matrix 12. (Which in a dream world of unlimited space and money I'd love to have. I think the two would seriously complement each other pad wise.)

The other thing with VAs, is that I think there are some software options out there that are very comparable with hardware VAs these days... and are quite a bit cheaper. Granted, the Virus sound is far more complicated than most of the plugins I've seen, and offloading some CPU is never a bad thing.
kilon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
kilon wrote:
audiodef wrote:

I think a few people may disagree with this assessment.

The Virus TI is a fantastic synth and is in no way overhyped or overpriced.

This is of course not saying that the Andomeda is not a fantastic synth.

I would think they fall into two quite different brackets myself.

Depends what you want I suppose, maybe best to have both.

Personally I think that synths in general are very much overpriced. But that is totally another discussion.

Virus TI concerned, I do not think it will take too much to find its sound inferior to andromeda or even my 400 euros blofeld.

I have not heard a single sound from virus that I said "that sound would be difficult to make with my blofeld", and spec wise , there is absolutely nothing realistically on the synth that urges to buy it other the hype that has generated with its advertisement campaign.

I would really want to hear what is that makes VIRUS TI so great. Powerful yes, better no. Better I mean , compared to other synths that are bellow half its asking prize, like Radias for example.

TI is a cool feature but I seriously do not think that alot people would miss it if it did not appeared in the next version. Its a hardware synthesiszer and the most owners confess that they use as such without ever touching the TI part.

And then they are the quite good effects. Which I am sure its convenient when you play live with it, but In studio its more likely to use software or hardware effects than Virus onboard effects. And frankly that would be a good idea to increase a polyphony thats already so easy to disappear, with some modulation, fm and effects.

And I find irresponsible for a synth manufacturer that demands 2250 euros for a synth that offers only ADSR envelops and a 6 slot modulation matrix. Actually there are little things dividing VIRUS TI from my YAMAHA MOTIF ES6 which I find very limited in the sound making department.

I do not think that VIRUS is anything less than a good powerful synth . Overhyped and Overpriced ? oh yeah it is. As it was Andromeda when first came out. Overpriced that is, cause Andromeda was never Overhyped . As a synth it packs alot more power than people believe actually.

And sound / spec wise there is no comparison between Andromeda and a Virus.

Some people will disagree with me, thats ok, I can live with that. Everybody is entitled to his opinion. Afterall I do not believe that Virus cannot make great music, because it can and It certainly is a synth that I would consider seriously buying.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I surpose it comes down to personal choice.

I have a blofeld and a TI, I prefer the TI over the blofeld, the blofeld just doesn't have enough dsp power and is a pain to patch, an editor would help. To me also the TI just sounds so much better!

Obviously the blofeld is much cheaper, but with the TI I have 12 outputs (including usb outs), a couple of inputs, a decent control surface, plugin integration and midi out.

6 mod slots for me isn't much of a problem, same with the envelopes.

The cost of these things is high due to development costs and low sales, if the same amount of Play-stations 3s were sold the cost of those would be very high as well.

I would also love an Andromeda, if they did a rack or desktop version I would be sorely tempted.
kilon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I surpose it comes down to personal choice.

certainly

Quote:
the blofeld just doesn't have enough dsp power

obviously not as much as a virus . 1/3 to be precise.

Quote:
and is a pain to patch

again there is no comparison between 4 knobs of blofeld and 32 of virus

Quote:
an editor would help

There is an editor , unofficial and a bit ugly but it works. Again no comparison with TI

Quote:
To me also the TI just sounds so much better!

That is a case of personally interpetation, but If you can link a sound that you think blofeld cannot make , maybe I will see your point more clearly.

Quote:
Obviously the blofeld is much cheaper,

Not just cheaper, almost a steal. 8 times cheaper than a virus ti. I repeat. 8 times!!!

Quote:
but with the TI I have 12 outputs (including usb outs), a couple of inputs, a decent control surface, plugin integration and midi out.

Again very valid points.
Quote:

6 mod slots for me isn't much of a problem, same with the envelopes.

There are not a problem for me either. I rarely use more than 3 slots . However envelops on the other hand are cause I tend to make soundscapes and they are essential for my ambient music. Think Absynth here.

I would expect a 2250 euros synth to come with these features standard.

Quote:
The cost of these things is high due to development costs and low sales

I do not think that Virus has low sales at all. Actually quite the opposite.

Quote:
if the same amount of Play-stations 3s were sold the cost of those would be very high as well.

Alesis makes only a handful for andromedas each year and now sell them for 1200 euros less (3200 euros -> 2000 euros) . I am sure Access can cut at least 500 euros from virus.

Quote:
I would also love an Andromeda, if they did a rack or desktop version I would be sorely tempted.

Well for what it offers Andromeda is certainly the cheapest synth around already.

I also prefer VIRUS for all the above reasons you mentioned. Except TI which I do not care so much .
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: