electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
POLL: how many NM Classic (NM1 or G1) users out there?
Page 2 of 8 [184 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next

Do you use a NM Classic (NM1 or G1) synthesizer?
yes
96%
 96%  [ 163 ]
not anymore (because of software incompatibilites)
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 169

kenl666

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep. I have an ancient G4 on the network, all it does is run my micro modular and a Korg Oasys card via VNC.
DanielW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've started using my old MM again, simply because out of the blue someone gave me a beat-up computer that runs on Windows. It's a laptop without a working screen, but the NMG1 editor works just fine on it.

It brings back memories of that day when I heard the weird news that Clavia had discontinued development of the NMG1 editor on OSX. Music software made exclusively for Windows sure feels like something out of bizarro world...
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey DanielW!

welcome to electro-music.com! Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
DanielW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!

Any hints about where to find patches for the Micro Modular is much appreciated. I've visited the NM archives, but they haven't been updated for five years.

I'm looking for aggressive, noisy stuff.
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: POLL: how many NM Classic (NM1 or G1) users out there?
Subject description: (a message to Nord Clavia)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oisin wrote:
... i hope that when Nord Clavia sees how many people are still using these synths they will reconsider their position and either update the editor software and continue to support it or release the source code so a third party could create an updated software solution.

so please let it be known! Laughing
Well, I think you when you will tell the world all Nord Modular Classic's are still in use nobody will call you a liar. Sure, there will be some lost, damaged, stolen or broken, but not that much. Beware that the Classic obstructed the sales of the G2! Facts also known to Clavia...

Clavia isn't in favor of third parties on the scene, because in the end Stockholm has to offer support. Clavia doesn't have the recourses to do so.

If you really want to pay money for an update, I think it's better to start a new brand ourselves. Just invest in another company... Or do you think Clavia will do the job for a friendly price?

Wout
DanielW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: POLL: how many NM Classic (NM1 or G1) users out there?
Subject description: (a message to Nord Clavia)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Beware that the Classic obstructed the sales of the G2! Facts also known to Clavia...

The lack of a stable editor for modern macs have on the other hand contributed to prices of G1 Modulars dropping – which only could make them more popular with people prepared to accept a little inconvenience. I've seen asking prices for rack Modulars as low as € 300 here in Sweden. That's what I bought my MM for back in '02.

I certainly think porting a commercial application to a new OS (and keeping it up to date!) must be a paid job if it's to be done right. And I guess if it's to be of any real use the company doing it should also work on developing the G1 OS as well, and new modules with it. And then we're talking serious money considering the hardware isn't even produced anymore.
delay19ms

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Expanded Key G1 and 1 MicroMod

I have a very small, silent and cheap netbook on xp to edit patch... 250$ (new)

I think it would be better for mac user to complain to Apple about their poor backward compatibility (poor, I should say inexisting, and not only for the modular editor...)... don't blame the small swedish synth maker but the big selfish Apple US corporation...

nordmodular.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.61 KB
 Viewed:  870 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

nordmodular.jpg

oisin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

delay19ms wrote:
Expanded Key G1 and 1 MicroMod

I have a very small, silent and cheap netbook on xp to edit patch... 250$ (new)

I think it would be better for mac user to complain to Apple about their poor backward compatibility (poor, I should say inexisting, and not only for the modular editor...)... don't blame the small swedish synth maker but the big selfish Apple US corporation...

interesting idea, i hadnt thought of it like that. though from what ive read when the G1 modulars were being made (from '98-'04) the software was only running on pre-osx systems. which was behind the times even then.

and to ask apple to support software that was written for multiple generation-old hardware is a bit much.

im wondering how hard it would be to patch the G2 editor software to allow it to be used with a G1. .
DanielW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oisin wrote:

interesting idea, i hadnt thought of it like that. though from what ive read when the G1 modulars were being made (from '98-'04) the software was only running on pre-osx systems. which was behind the times even then.

Tell me about it. Even back in '02 I had to reboot my iMac G4 in OS9 mode (it was one of the last models with that option) to access the editor. Which was fine since the Logic version I used also ran on OS9, but really...

Then came the OS9 emulator Classic which would have been a good solution if it wasn't for incompatible midi (no expert here, but running an app in Classic mode meant it wasn't possible to connect a midi device, something with OMS).

The old Modular user's e-mail list was in an absolute fury about the state of things. The solution back then was same as now, get a cheap PC laptop. And why not? The Windows version of the editor even works well on Vista.

Anyway, I've played around a bit with the OSX beta editor, and so far so good. I'd half expected crashes and "unexpected" shutdowns, but it seems to work fine when I'm going through mr Hordijk's excellent tutorials.
Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

delay19ms wrote:

nonsense.. please get your facts straight..

NM1: 1998 – 2002
OSX: 2001 – now

thats 2 years overlap..
while Clavia didn't act till the public demand for an OSX editor increased and G2 sales were safe,
Apple supported OS 9 apps under OSX for quite some years..
Clavia just knew OSX was coming but didn't do anything..

so who's to blaim here? that small synth maker or the big selfish OS maker?
think again mate..

if there's one to blaim here its Clavia for not committing to longer supporting the software part of the platform..
the 'official' OSX editor is nothing but a quick and dirty port to keep people quiet..

if you choose to develop software dependent hardware then at least make sure the software runs for a decent amount of years..
and also; make sure the next generation hadware is compatible with anything prior to that.. have you tried to open NM1 patches with the G2? Wink
I would've bought a G2 if it was compatible with the NM1, but sadly it isn't..

Clavia failed big time here..
Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the problem with Clavia is that they think in hardware but fail in thinking how software is part of the plan in the long run..

what Clavia should've done is come up with a roadmap for the software part..
something like 5/6 years of free support, then after that offering paid upgrades..

would you have bought the NM1 when the box said; software support will be discontinued after 4 years?

is there even a EULA for the NM? like something that says that says; seller is entitled to discontinue support at any given moment..
iow; could you demand an upgrade or money back by law? (< just interested to know)
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Poster wrote:
would you have bought the NM1 when the box said; software support will be discontinued after 4 years?

Yes ... you know ... people still buy NMs and software development stopped over five years ago. Shocked

Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Poster wrote:

Yes ... you know ... people still buy NMs and software development stopped over five years ago. Shocked

sure.. but that you know now, not back then..

anyway.. I still love my NM1 but the editor is running on its last breath..
I'm thinking of updating to osx 10.6, Nomad is death, so what are my options? buying an old computer?
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I think we accomplished one thing for sure: Clavia will not think twice to develop software depending hardware again. After the 26th time thinking there will be a 'maybe...' Sometimes I have the feeling it all started when V3.03 was developed, the one which would also run on the Mac. In fact, V3.03 wasn't a real update at all, although it brought a new lay out and the Poly window... And introduced new users into the community…
Did sales increased? I think not (Clavia never publish figures, at least in public), mainly because the real MacMen (and women) already uses a Windows machine next to their machine. The OSX beta Editor wasn't meant to be released until the American distributor, at that moment, leaked it away to some users, including me. After some time Clavia decided to publish it 'as is'. Anyway the last time Clavia made the same move was recently porting the G2 into Vista.

Clavia is a rather small company. Poster, you may compare it with an Albert Heijn 2 shop Wink So there is not much recourse available, but most employees know a lot of their costumers personal. But as soon they are in a situation there are troubles caused by outside factory forces, like Microsoft and Apple, they are not that happy. Leaving out the hardware-software coupling seems the best thing to do, because they can’t control these moguls. They are just a bunch of very friendly dwarfs, working in their mine and digging out those wonderful red diamonds…

Anyway, the Nord Modular was a kind of a side line, not really meant to be on the market. It was a dream, an idea, which was realized. Only not everybody’s dream, as can be seen on the market. And believe me, Clavia is still dreaming about new gear. But will these dreams be realized too? I think telling them to dream their past dreams again won’t set them in the right direction.

Whoever said dwarfs have an easy life?

Wout
delay19ms

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Poster wrote:

nonsense.. please get your facts straight..

NM1: 1998 – 2002
OSX: 2001 – now

Sorry for my lack of exact facts but it is still a poor backward compatibility problem of the Apple Mac OS... There was a OS 8.6 editor for MAC... To my recall there is only one version of Window editor to... It work on 95 (not sure) 98, XP, Vista and probably on 7... Clavia did not have to re write their soft for all these OS...
Oli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+1 rack. New to me, and enjoying it.
crawling wind

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Expanded keyboard. Did not buy G2.
KidQuaalude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1 expanded rack and 1 micromodular
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1 unexpanded NM1 key, not used that much until recently

I plan on keeping an XP pc running for as long as possible

Ad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unexpanded G1 rack and Micro Modular
paugui

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 37

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got a Nord Modular G1 Keys Expanded yesterday.
As I don't have a MIDI interface I haven't yet tested the editor on my MacBook Pro.

If I want to get an old Mac Laptop to edit my new NM, in case I can't run Nomad or the Beta version from Clavia, which was the last version of OS and Powerbooks/iBooks, that were able to run the last oficial release from the Editor?
oisin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i would try to get it running on your mbp first. otherwise i think its going to mean going back to os9. or over to windoze..
pyrosonic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2 Micromodulars
unexpanded G1 rack
G2X kybd

Love them all

I run the G2X editor on a Macbook os 10.4.11
I used to run the G1 editor on an old Powerbook running 10.3 but went to running it all on the Macbook.But after a major studio reworking (adding midi interfaces,new gear,etc..) they won't talk to any of the "elders" anymore,so I'll probably go back to running it on one either the Powerbook or the old I book.
Unless I can figure out why in my copious free time. Wink
General Elektrick

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Expanded G1 keys
Micro Modular
Expanded G2 keys

Love the all!

"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.
klangumsetzer

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi,

g1 keys exp., mm and g2x here.
(always itching when i see a mm for sale Rolling Eyes)

using the 3.03. editor with xp without problems.

best regards

eike
---
Page 2 of 8 [184 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: