electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Just found a Kyma system in the attic!
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dar303

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Just found a Kyma system in the attic! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I started a new job last at a music foundation in Stockholm week and started to clean out the attic. I found a lot of goodies, among that a Capybara system and it's associated MacintoshIIfx.
Is there any value in this monetary or musically or is it just too much work to get it running?
A bit more modern computer would be nice... Smile
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Which Capy is it? 33? 66?

It will say on the front.

Any of them are good value, if not in money then at least in music creation. The earlier ones were a bit trickier to get in to, but It depends on your needs and wants. I would definitely try and fire it up to see what happens at the very least!

The computer itself does not make much difference, the actual processing happens in in the capy itself.

dar303

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll check it out on monday or tuesday. I was wondering about the control signals since the port seems to be a DB25 parallell-port style but the Mac has a dedicated Kyma card installed. Would it work with a modern mac or PC?

Bear with me, I have zero experience with these machines, I only read about them back in the days but they were way out of my budget range!

It would be a nice addition to the equipment at the studio(s) since we have Buchla, Serge, Nord Modular1, G2, MAX/MSP, Csound and Reaktor...sort of all generations!
dar303

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The serial number is 61065
Here are a couple of photos:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm, if I were to take a guess, I'd say it is a 33, but I'm out of my depth here. Do you have the documentation for it? Software? Does it start up? I would open it up to see how many expansion cards it holds. I can ask on the Kyma forum for details if you like. Smile

It's not the most powerful of systems these days, but it would still sound nice and positively have some interesting algorithms in it. I doubt you would fetch much for it on ebay though...

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
I doubt you would fetch much for it on ebay though...

nah, best to throw it out of the window Confused best to take a south window, and make it a good long throw ... just to keep the gods happy Wink

(nice find, and have fun exploring!)

dar303

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll open it up when I get to work (i'm sick right now).
I can't really test it since all I got is the computer, no screen, mouse, keyboard etc. I'll try to find that but it may be hard.
Is it possible to use the unit with a more modern computer, a MacIIFX isn't that hot anymore... Smile
I have the manual and the plug in card for the old computer.
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From Symbolic Sound:

Quote:
The photo is of an original Capybara (no 320, no 66, no 33 but an original original Capybara with no numbers after the name!) In other words, it is from 5 generations ago.

The vintage is about the same as the Mac IIfx found with it. The Capybara with that serial number was purchased in 1992.

Like the Mac IIfx, a Capybara of that vintage probably belongs in a computer museum. If he can find the software, he will discover that it is on several floppy disks (or perhaps it is still on the hard disk of the Mac IIfx. It may be of historical interest to someone who has a collection of old synthesizers or computers.

At this point, the only way to get it running would be to find a monitor and keyboard for the Mac IIfx and run them together. The latest software it would run would be PRE Kyma 4.0.

dar303

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the information!
We are donating some other machines to the Swedish music museum so maybe they want this too.
I'm going to have a look inside and take a picture or two anyway out of curiousity!

OT:
At one time "we" (i wasn't born back then!) had the worlds most advanced computer music studio in Sweden, this is the control unit for the PDP15 computer used to control banks of analog oscillators:

I found the PDP keyboard/display/control unit the other day too, that will go on display at the studio!
destroyifyer

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's awesome. That guy has more controlls than the average NASA ground controll operator.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Jump to: