electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Roland TR-707 ??
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Roland TR-707 ?? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does anyone have diagrams to mod a Roland TR-707 ?
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No bending scheme, but Burnkit2600 is THE place for drummachine info. Might be useful.

A page on the tr-626 with some ideas concerning the 707:
http://www.burnkit2600.com/tr-626-rhythm-decomposer/

TR-707 schematic (partial):
http://www.burnkit2600.com/graphics/tr-707-schematics.jpg

Finding the ROM's should be easy and are good bend targets. Find the datasheets , using the adress lines is usually safe. Maybe the hihat sound (if it's enveloped noise like the tr-626) may be replaced with external audio and gated with the hihat envelope.

Last edited by electri-fire on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was the short answer. Now I've looked actually looked at the schematic a bit. It's a partial schematic, but useful all the same.

You can hack the pitch shift of the crash and ride by lifting pin 10 of the TC4040 binary counter and insert your own clock in (or just whack it with an additional clock source). This could be any suitable signal you pick up from the TR itself.
Pin11 of the TC4040 (clear) makes the reading of the sample restart, as long as a clock signal is available.
Like I said before, the data lines of the RAM's can be used as bend targets. Pins signed A0-A14.
The other sounds do not have a counter for adress select (like IC 34 and IC35 (BD-midTom and HiTom-Tambourin)). Here adresses are selected directly from IC30. Both these IC's are connected to the same adress lines, so unless you lift/cut traces these sounds will probably be bent together. CE (chip enable) selects witch ROM reacts to the datalines. CE can be used as bend points.

Notice the RA3 and RA4 (resistor arrays) . These are simple R/2R DAC's. The inputs can be fed signals that will be treated as digital audio and be converted into audio. You can also do this at the D0-D7 lines between IC35 and IC's 36-37.

Well, it's a long story, loads could probably be done after some study. If you want to implement your bends inside the TR-707 itself, I suggest to start with a selectrion of data lines. Or go over the top on a breakout box.

This bent TR-707 would likely have dataline bends mostly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPRjvfd_0rQ&feature=related
As he did a decay mod on the hihat I think the hats may indeed be enveloped noise, so any sound could be inserted somewhere.

Happy bending
electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As can be observed here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoaNgWraGOw&NR=1
seperate pitchbend can be done on the other sounds, but some sound are pitchbent together by the same knob. These would be sounds in combined ROM pairs as outlined earlier.

Pitch I think would be bent at the IC30 probably at OSCI and/or OSCO , pin 34 and 35.

It's clocked with a crystal though, a simple pot here may not be optimal. Maybe Diabolical removed the crystal and made his own clocks. Search for a (CD)40106 clock or oscillator schematic, might do the trick.

I'll stop now before I want a TR-xx for myself...

Last edited by electri-fire on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Google nerd can't help himself Wink .

The gate array IC's (like IC35) at the TR-626 are the same as in the TR-626 and TR-505.

http://www.burnkit2600.com/tr-505-pitch-bend-mod/

I need some distraction now FAST.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very-very much electric-fire!!

I saw some videos and I immediately buy a 707 !!

I found this schematic... somewere in this incredible blog: http://gieskes.nl/

I found something on getlofi:
http://www.getlofi.com/?p=512
http://www.getlofi.com/?p=414
http://www.getlofi.com/?p=449

they sayd: "Because of the digital nature of the 707 a clock modifier is needed to change the sample playback rate. Doing this mod for each drum sound would require individual circuits to be added, however to minimize the part count a 558 Quad 555 can most likely be used."
I asked about that but none can help me...

so... did you say that pich mod for tr-505 will work for tr-626?
and wath about 707?!
(anyway I'm still trying to translate your replys, sorry but my English is not so good Embarassed )

In this days I will open my 707!

Thank you very much again...

707---.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.65 KB
 Viewed:  1145 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

707---.JPG

modified-tr-707.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  247.7 KB
 Viewed:  1270 Time(s)

modified-tr-707.jpg

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire wrote:

As he did a decay mod on the hihat I think the hats may indeed be enveloped noise, so any sound could be inserted somewhere.

"On the TR-707 the open and closed hats sounds use the same sample with different envelopes. This mods adds individual knobs to control the decay of each sound but in order to do this the open hat decay knob has to act as a kind of overall 'master' decay for both sounds and the closed hat decay knob sets the decay of the closed hat within the maximum setting of the open hat knob. Essentially this means that when the open hat decay is set to full, then the closed hat can be set anywhere from a tiny click to the full open hat sound, but when the open hat is set only half open then the closed hat can only sweep from the tiny click sound at minimum to roughly the normal closed hat and full. This is virtually impossible to explain so we hope you get the idea. "
quote from here

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

707 decay, vca iputs mod

there are always a link to a Gregory Zifcak's file but it doesn't work! Sad

edit:

The photos to "~gzifcak/tr-707_pitch_mod.html" appear to be gone, but here's the writeup: Razz

hi,

in case anyone is interested, i added pitch knobs for each of the sounds in my 707. the ones that share volume sliders also share pitch knobs, and the ride and crash have a single pitch control as
well. it's awesome; the sounds are 8 bit so it sounds all gritty and industrial when you pitch them down. it's not a simple mod, however:

1. build nine 555 (the cmos version) oscillators. these are the new clocks for the sounds.

2. very carefully disconnect pins 56, 57, and 59-64 of ic30 from the circuit board, or find some way to cut through the traces that go under the (surface mount) ic. i ended up slicing through the board with an exacto blade before i realized i could have desoldered the pins, cut the traces and resoldered the pins.

3. solder the outputs of the 555 oscs to the pins. this part is difficult because the pins are small and close together. i guess if you wanted you could just build a single oscillator and solder it to all the pins for a global pitch control. that might not work though, because i suspect that some of the sounds run at a different sample rate.

-structural integrity is extremely important here. if one of the pins breaks off, no more drum sound. it's best if you can have the pins soldered in their original places rather than sticking up in the air with the wires attached.

4. TEST.

5. find all of the connections between the original pins and the other circuitry that were severed when you cut the traces, and reconnect them to the original clocks. this part took the longest for me. you have to pore over the schematic and find the stuff that gets the clock signals. it sounds distorted and bent without these connections, and some sounds may disappear.

6. mount the pots.

or you could just go and sample its sounds and tune them up and down that way, but that would be easy. also, i tried connecting the oscillators to the pins while they were still connected to the circuit board and got all kinds of crazy noises that sounded way better than my rom-scrambling bends. it was like pitching the sounds and adding tones and messing with other circuitry that was also connected to the clocks. i might add this function to mine later.

drunken

electri-fire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clocks built from 40106 hex schmitt trigger inverters are easier (less soldering) than using 555 timers.
Observe the more complicated connections and partcount of the 555 schematic: http://www.mikmo.dk/cblfo.html

Especially as pin 2 and 6 need to be connected but are on opposite sides of the IC. A hassle on perfboard. ( IC's with multiple timers could be laid out easier , I didn't check)

You can build six clocks from a single 40106 chip.

Here is a thread with schematic using the 40106 for a TR-505, but it's compatible with use in TR-707.
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=40106&t=30479

You connect a potmeter from an inverter stage output back to the input.

At the burnkit2600 schematic ( http://www.burnkit2600.com/tr-505-pitch-bend-mod/ ) this potmeter has been replaced with a transistor to implement voltage control.

If you do not need voltage control replace that transistor with your potmeter and skip the pull-up resistor and external connection.

At the input is also a capacitor to ground. So the inverter input connects to the capacitor and one side of the potmeter. The inverter output connects to the other side of the potmeter and to your clock target.

Experiment with values to get the range you need. Higher value pots or larger capacitors can give slower clockspeeds, smaller caps give higher speed (pitch).

Here's an example of six oscillators built by slacker using a 40106:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=40106&t=30479

electri-fire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, TR-505, 626 and 707 use the same IC's, so bends of any of these may be applicable or translated to the other devices.

I aligned the picture from the Gijs Gieskes site (great site, and an awsome builder) with the Burnkit2600 schematic and marked pin 1 of the chips.

Lorenzo pointed out an error, so...

EDIT!

The Gate Array pin1 is at the dot in the lower left corner, subsequent pins count COUNER CLOCKWISE (top view).
The MASK ROM chip pin1 is at the upper left corner , count up clockwise (bottom view)

Datasheet compatible to the 256 Kb Mask ROM:

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.co.kr/datasheet-pdf/view/162377/HITACHI/HN613256P.html

TR-707.jpg
 Description:
gate array IC and schematic together, error corrected
 Filesize:  125.43 KB
 Viewed:  1263 Time(s)

TR-707.jpg

Last edited by electri-fire on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much !!
I was quite busy lately. I just finish to read (and traslate) every links.
My new question is: it is really possible to de-soldering the pins of the IC30??
There are some tricks?

I notice that there is a difference in two links you gave me. Your last attachment and IC9 505 gate array are different. In the pictures, the tr-505's IC9 count unclockwise, but you say that tr-707's IC30 count clockwise from pin 1!?! It is all right?
I know that thay are two different IC, but ... Confused

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire wrote:

"707 decay, vca iputs mod"
quoteing Plutoniq from yahoo group:

Hey there,
thinkin' the only way to modify the 707 and 727 is circuit bending?
This isn't the case, as simple analogue VCA's and RC envelopes are
used to shape 3 instruments on both machines. Especially useful
for the Tr-707 is the smooth fact that you can independently
control the decay times for the Open-Hat and Closed Hat. On the Tr-
727, these sounds are instead the Long/Short whistle. Also useful
is to add external audio inputs into these VCA's, essentially
giving you programable audio gates Smile

Three mods i'll cover in this is;

-Open-hat/Closed-hat decay's (Long/Short whistle)
-Ext. Audio Input for Hihats (Whistle)

You will need (aside from you standard electronics tools) a;

- 10k Potentiometer
- 1meg Potetiometer
- 1/8 inch normally-closed phono female socket
- 2.2k resistor (see note)
- 10k resistor (see note)
- Patience Smile

Luckily for us hackers, there is plenty of space to mount Pots &
sockets in these machines (unlike the 606, for example), but try
and get the smallest ones possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Closed-hat decay (short whistle)::

Locate on the main board Resistor "R123" (10k). This resistor sets the decay time of the Closed-hat (short whistle). You need to desolder & remove this resistor from the board. Where you removed "R123", replace with a 10k potentiometer & a 2.2k resistor in series.

*note

The 2.2k resistor in series with the 10k pot sets the "minimum" decay time for this instrument. Experiment with slightly shorter resistors to fine tune the minimum decay time (eg. 1.8K), too
small of a value though, and the instrument will not sound.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Open-Hat decay (Long whistle)::

Locate on the main board Resistor "R126" (1 meg). This resistor sets the decay time of the Open-hat (long whistle). You need to desolder & remove this resistor from the board. Where you
removed "R126", replace with a 1 meg potentiometer & a 10k resistor in series.

*note

The 10k resistor in series with the 1 meg pot sets the "minimum" decay time for this instrument. Experiment with slightly shorter resistors to fine tune the minimum decay time (eg. 5k), too small
of a value though, and the instrument will not sound.

Also, the Open-hat/Closed hat are identical sample wise, the only differnce is the decay times of the VCA. So by turning the decay time of the Open-hat right down (to 10k or so), the Open-hat will
sound the same as the Closed-hat.
------------------------------------------------------------------

External Audio Input for Open-hat/Closed-hat (Long/Short whistle):

This modification allows you to run external audio signals through
the Hihats (whistles) VCA circuitry (as opposed to the sample
sounds).

Locate on the main board Capacitor "C69" (1uf). This is a
polarized electro capacitor ("-" and "+" polarities). The Audio
input into this VCA enters the "-" side of capacitor (4 reference,
The "+" side of the capacitor is connected to resistor "R125").

You need to cut the circuit trace leading to the "-" side of
Capacitor "C69". Now you need to solder both sides of the "cut
trace", to a normally-closed phono socket. When nothing is plugged
into the socket, the signal going into the VCA will be the
original onboard sample, when you plug in something, it will cut
the sample signal from the VCA input, and insert your external
audio source.

There are three tabs on a normally-closed jack. One is ground, and
should be soldered to a suitable ground point inside the Tr-
707/727. The Second tab will be the tip connection, this should be
soldered to the side of the cut circuit trace which connects to
the "-" side of Capacitor "C69". The Last tab is used to close the
signal connection between the trace to cut, when nothing is
insereted into your phono socket. This tab, of course, is soldered
to the other side of the signal trace you cut.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, thats it from me 4 now. Take care in modifying your machines. Never work on them when they are turned on or plugged in, and you should of course be comfortable with working on electronics. If anyone finds any inaccuracies, point them out 2 me (Plutonique9@hotmail.com). Hack at yo' own risk n' stuff and la la la.

I'll write up another doc soon on how to similiarly modify the Ride (Star Chime) & Crash (Guiro) instruments, for decay times & ext. audio inputs.

Seeya

Plutoniq

from "707 decay, vca iputs mod" in the yahoo tr-707 group's file section

electri-fire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lorenzo wrote:
Your last attachment and IC9 505 gate array are different. In the pictures, the tr-505's IC9 count unclockwise, but you say that tr-707's IC30 count clockwise from pin 1!?! It is all right?

Indeed Lorenzo, I made an error, pincount is COUNTER CLOCKWISE! I deleted the attachment and uploaded a corrected JPG.

Lorenzo wrote:
My new question is: it is really possible to de-soldering the pins of the IC30??
There are some tricks?

I never did that, but people at burnkit2600 have, you might ask there. I remember a tutorial on youtube on desoldering surfacemount IC's at youtube involving (from memory) the use of flux, adding extra solder and using solderpumps and solder braid (solder wick). You may want to see that.
Then I would imagine heating the last solderbits and carefully bending up the legs with a thin screwdriver should do the trick.

Hurray! I got myself a TR-505 at the swapmeeting at the recent EM2009 meeting, so instead of theorising I'll be actually bending a TR-xx myself.

I think I'll not be doing seperate pitch for each sound myself for now , I'll start with an overall pitchbend first.

At burnkit2600.com I found a pitch up bend bypassing R39 with a pot, and a pitchdown replacing R38 with a 1M pot. At these resistors also pitch effects (up and down) can be had with touchcontacts to other parts of the circuitboard. Nice.

I recommend to thouroughly check the burnkit2600 site and also reading the comments. Great info there.

A large collection of service manuals including several TR-xx's are at http://rvgm.l4rge.com/ (easier than the burnkit2600 zipped scans).

electri-fire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Plutoniq from yahoo group wrote:

Thinkin' the only way to modify the 707 and 727 is circuit bending?
This isn't the case, as simple analogue VCA's and RC envelopes are used to shape 3 instruments on both machines. Especially useful for the Tr-707 is the smooth fact that you can independently control the decay times for the Open-Hat and Closed Hat. On the Tr-727, these sounds are instead the Long/Short whistle. Also useful is to add external audio inputs into these VCA's, essentially giving you programable audio gates Smile

Great find Lorezo.

I opened my TR-505 yesterday, indeed the possibilities go way beyond mere ROM bends.
I already mentioned the touchcontact pitchbends (I guess also avalable on the other TR-'s. My R38 and R39 are located near the big dual-in-line CPU next to the (blue) crystal. They're small resistors, use a jewelers screwdriver to find these touchcontact / clock resistors).

There are nice envelope and volume touch effects at my IC14 (HD14051BP) next to the envelope capacitors. Signals from the ROM datalines (among others), fed into these points give nice effects like sound washes and different pulsations.

There's another HD14051BP where all sounds are routed through that can serve as sound inputs or outputs.

Oh, and at the TR-505 ALL sounds have their own envelope, not just 3 instruments.

electri-fire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Plutoniq replaced the envelope resistors with values equal to the original. Like this (apart from the extra minimum value resitor in series) you would only be able to shorten the envelopes.

This seems ok when using the internal sounds, the short samples would be finished anyway when the envelope has decayed to zero.

However when using external input or datalines as sound I would suggest using larger value potmeters. These TR-'s might even turn into dronemachines for all I know.
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire wrote:

I never did that, but people at burnkit2600 have, you might ask there. I remember a tutorial on youtube on desoldering surfacemount IC's at youtube involving (from memory) the use of flux, adding extra solder and using solderpumps and solder braid (solder wick). You may want to see that.
Then I would imagine heating the last solderbits and carefully bending up the legs with a thin screwdriver should do the trick.

I open a new thread about this topic.
I found some tutorial videos on youtube... but I think is beter to ask at the forum Wink

This (click on) is the thread

Quote:

Hurray! I got myself a TR-505 at the swapmeeting at the recent EM2009 meeting, so instead of theorising I'll be actually bending a TR-xx myself.

I think I'll not be doing seperate pitch for each sound myself for now

ha ja ha sorry Wink
I thint I will not do separate pitch for each sound, too.
I would like to mod only BD, SN and TOM plus the HH plutoniq mod.

Quote:

Indeed Lorenzo, I made an error, pincount is COUNTER CLOCKWISE! I deleted the attachment and uploaded a corrected JPG.

so the pin 1 is the first in left corner, bottom? clokwise? ... so pin 56-64 are bottom too?

electri-fire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lorenzo wrote:
so the pin 1 is the first in left corner, bottom? clokwise? ... so pin 56-64 are bottom too?

Pin1 is bottom left corner. (watch the arrow, dude Wink ) But NOT clockwise, it's anti-clockwise/ counter clockwise (=contra/against clockwise), or as you put it unclockwise.

(parlo poco italiano ma non troppo)

Pins are numbered as you showed me in this link before:

http://burnkit2600.com/graphics/505-GateArray.gif

Fun isn't it, working on the same bend together at the same time?

How do you like the touchcontact approach? From the short fiddling I've done with it so far I like it. I've actually just made a +- 6x13 cm bit of plywood, scooped out room for a DB25 printerport and have sawn an acrylic coverplate to turn into an "all touchcontact" breakout controller, because with at least 3 points at the 14051 near the envelope capacitors, 11 adress points at the ROM, the clock resistors I mentioned with their assorted associated up and down points and the induvidual sound in/outs and others I expect to find I may very well entirely fill all 25 connections.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire wrote:
But NOT clockwise, it's anti-clockwise/ counter clockwise (=contra/against clockwise), or as you put it unclockwise.

(parlo poco italiano ma non troppo)

stupid of me... counter clockwise means anti-clockwise... and not as I understood: you have to count it clockwise...
I think your Italian is better than my English [OT]

Quote:
Fun isn't it, working on the same bend together at the same time?

ah ah yes it is!
but I'm very slow in my projects... I have been bending my Barbie Karaoke from this summer (more of 14 pots and as many switches... I have to reduce it) and I'm populating my "modular PCBs" at the same time, I have to test it already ... because ...'cause ... I don't know...

Quote:
How do you like the touchcontact approach?

touchcontact is the soul/core of circuit bending Very Happy

electri-fire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire wrote:
I've actually just made a +- 6x13 cm bit of plywood, scooped out room for a DB25 printerport and have sawn an acrylic coverplate to turn into an "all touchcontact" breakout controller

I might finish that later, I just thought of another solution:

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-270962.html#270962
electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject:
Subject description: TR-505 ROM adress lines
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get so dyslectic following traces at the circuitboard.

TR-505-IC11-adress-pins.jpg
 Description:
TR-505 adress lines and pin numbers
 Filesize:  47.99 KB
 Viewed:  61565 Time(s)

TR-505-IC11-adress-pins.jpg

Vudu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: TR-707 global pitch up?
Subject description: globally increase the playback pitch of the sounds

I did this to my TR-505 (from here: http://www.burnkit2600.com/tr-505/) with a 1k pot over R39, is this possible on the TR-707?
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes!! Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I just desolder Gate Array pins!!

so... now I have to solder it to the 4010 "clock oscillator"

At the moment I add HH, OH, Ride, Crash dacay mods and I found a lot of very nice circuit bent node!!

"Ride and Crash Decay & stuff"

quoteing foleymachine from yahoo group:

ride decay:
replace r73 with a pot. the biggest i had was 1m, and the decay
didn't go long enough, so i put another 1uF capacitor in parallel
with c49. i put a 10k resistor in line with the pot to set minimum
decay, but it still almost disappears, which is fine with me. on the
closed hi hat, i didn't actually put a resistor for minimum decay.
that way it is almost silent (except for a quiet snapping) and i can
have the open hi hat hissing along by itself and then slowly bring in
the closed hi hat to get busy.

ride vca input:
is the + side of c34 (NOT the side connected to r60). the easiest
thing to do is cut the trace so the + side of the capacitor is
isolated. plutonique9 suggests using normally closed jacks, which
switch when you insert a plug. i had trouble with my shitty radio
shack jacks so i wired the jack and pin 1 of ra4 (which used to go to
c49) to two sides of a spdt switch, and the middle lug of the switch
to c49. in case it's not clear, what this does is allow you to plug
an external sound into the 707, and sequence the volume of it instead
of the ride. so if you plug in a radio (tuned to a talk show), you
can use the switch to choose between:
ride:"ding...ding.......ding..ding" and
radio:"ah...ats.......ven..aying" or some such nonsense. the ride
sequence gates the external sound. a very neat effect.

crash decay:
the crash has a slightly different decay envelope for some reason,
instead of just replacing a resistor, you wire the pot between ground
and the joint of r58 and c50. again i used a 1m pot (in line with a
10k [color=red](12k??)
resistor) and put another 1 uF capacitor in parallel with c50.

crash vca input:
same as ride, cut trace to isolate the + side of c35, wire switch and
jack between c35 and ra3 pin 1.

i thought plutonique had one of the resistors for the hi hat wrong,
but now looking at his instructions and my wiring, everything appears
the same.

this mod is rippin' i highly recommend it to anyone who feels
comfortable with the instructions.

Greg
[/color]

from "Ride and Crash Decay & stuff" in the yahoo tr-707 group's messages

Last edited by Lorenzo on Wed May 12, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ricoloverde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Problem with my unmodded TR707 any ideas?
Subject description: noise coming out of all the outputs

Hi I recently got a TR707 and after about a week of using it a really weird noise randomly comes out of all the outputs. I replaced the Volume master pot slider and no change. We put a new board with all new sliders and nothing change which leads me to believe its the bigger board below the sliders board. I really have no idea where to begin. I had planned on modding it from these notes but theres really no point until its at least sounding normal to start. it is not a pleasant (good bad?) sound. and its not "the analog" nature of the machine that a few people suggested. its way to loud to be that. anyways I really appreciate any help anyone can offer, love this forum, love this site.

thanx
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Pitch mod problems Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ricoloverde wrote:
I replaced the Volume master pot slider and no change.

Hi,
maybe it is a intermittent contact, short circuit in the main board...

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Pitch mod problems Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Attention!

I have to advise that I have a lot of problems to fing a good "clock osc system" to controll the gate array!!!

look at this thread

Anyway
I delate my previous post, I'm sorry... so:

On IC30(gate Array) the relevant pins are:
Pin 56: Bass Drum
Pin 57: Snare Drum

Pin 59:Low Toms
Pin 60:Mid Toms
Pin 61:High Toms
Pin 62:High Hat
Pin 63:Rimshot/Cowbell
Pin64:Handclap/Tamborine