electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Help with stripboard layout...
Page 5 of 5 [109 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
wizardsofzen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah ha! there in lies the problem, i reside in the land of zen.

thanks for the new info, i've just wanted to board this for about 6 months now.

now i have an issue of where to find TL072P IC's or an equivalent replacement...

i do see some things that look close on mouser, but unsure, anyone have the culprit?

i do enjoy a good foray out of the land of zen once in a while, just not outside of eyesight of the doorway back in....

currently, this is my best guess - http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=TL072ACPvirtualkey59500000virtualkey595-TL072ACP

Ben.H

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but for future reference it should be noted I found the error that was causing the oscillator to not resonate correctly. The junction of R12, T2, R11 & C4 was being grounded, the track needs to be cut between C4 & R26 on the 13th line.

Hope this helps someone, took me freakin ages to find!
I've built the same circuit using the original eric archer layout and found they were sounding quite different previously
Stripboard is now working correctly!

LektroiD wrote:
Further use and I no longer think the problem lies in the click being too loud, but more a problem with the sine being too quiet. The click should be there, and seems to cut through the mix as it should, the body (sinewave) of the kick on the other hand doesn't, and is way too low.

I'm now wondering if there's a resistor somewhere on one of the op amps restricting the output of the sine. Looking at the schematic, it appears IC1B takes care of amplifying this part of the circuit, now to find which resistor is restricting the level of the sine..
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome and well done Ben.H! I'll have to look at this stripboard again. I managed to get reasonable sound out of it by triggering it from some other spot but it's still not quite right. I forget what I did... I probably posted about it Confused Laughing .

I knew someone would solve this riddle before I died!
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm making the other voices now on stripboard. Just linking...

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-368380.html#368380
gerbster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject:  A little help.. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey All,

The last couple of weeks I've tried to get this strip board up and running but I'm afraid I'm stuck.. I was wondering if somebody who has finished this board successfully can give me some voltage values at some points on the board so I can track down the problem.

First, my setup:

- I've build a +/- 12V power supply and connected it to the stripboard with an extra +12V going into the accent
- the trigger is connected to a Highly Liquid MD24 board output (which gives +5V pulses, i've checked that)
- I've plugged in the output into my mixer

I've measured the voltages on the TL072, and they read + and -12 on pin 4 & 8, so that is getting power. However, I don't see anything coming out of T3. There is +12V on the collector but the base isn't getting anything from the trigger (I think.. Smile )

Anyway, I was wondering, in this thread I've read something about supplying voltages to some points to manually trigger this circuit, but what points should that be?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1588.JPG
 Description:
stripboard
 Filesize:  2.05 MB
 Viewed:  81 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_1588.JPG

RotomotioN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Gerbster
You need a momentary switch between +V and the normal trigger input point
elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know that I'd agree on a momentary...

There has to be positive voltage on both of the inputs for there to be a trigger. How much positive voltage can have a significant impact on how loud / hard a hit you get out of it.

Some people hook the accent (the "northern" input) to +V all the time. Others hook the two inputs together. In the original there wasn't any trigger conditioning (the diode and cap arrangement on the input) and you had the "common clock" (a combination of the clock and variable accent on steps when it was active, ranging from 4 to 14V) gated by the instrument step (5V).

I've found though, attempting to do it "the right way", something must be different about the modern components, because even with no instrument gate, I will get a trigger from a sufficiently high accent + clock. What I've done is tie those two together, and I'm generating the 1ms pulse from an Arduino so I don't have to worry about conditioning the input. If I were to make this a module, I'd use the conditioner though (I've got it on the stripboard, I just bypass it with the gate input).
elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW there's a lot more discussion of the 808 stripboard Bass Drum over on this thread, after the first page or two of talking about the high hats and cymbals.

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-54826.html&postorder=asc
gerbster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: I'm an idiot Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it turned out i'm an idiot. After building a complete new 808 BD pcb from scratch that DID work i found that... I connected the output wire to the wrong pin of my output socket.

so now i have 2 fully working 808 BD's Wink But thanks for your replies.
Page 5 of 5 [109 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: