electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Shane Morris
Welcome to the Shane Morris Forum!
Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject:  Welcome to the Shane Morris Forum!
Subject description: Discussion and links to music and videos
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello and Welcome!

I am a ambient/electronic musician , radio master at electro-music.com , and moderator of the Streaming Radio Station and Field Recording forums.

I also host a live performance streaming radio program called Atmosphera Atmosphera is broadcast the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month on electro-music and weekly as a podcast on www.stillstream.com.

Please feel free to say Hi and contribute to this thread. Questions about my gear, sounds, instruments, live music, streaming, philosophy, history, art, science, or anything else for that matter are welcome here as well.

To listen to music or view videos of performances Please visit
MySpace
Virb Home

For long-play tracks for listening Please visit
Soundcloud

To listen or download Space Port Zero Nine and other performances of mine on the site Please visit
Radio Program Archives

021.JPG
 Description:
Live at Electro-Music 2008 Kingsport, TN
 Filesize:  661.07 KB
 Viewed:  890 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

021.JPG

Last edited by shanemorris on Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:18 pm; edited 18 times in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah you found a home here, enjoy it Shane!
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Ah you found a home here, enjoy it Shane!

Thanks Jan! Yes my own little corner of the world! Laughing

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, I like it! A Shane forum!

This is great news for us fans! Very Happy

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congratulations Shane! You are truly inShane my friend! Here's wishing you the very best for all of your days!

Les

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys! welcome
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there Shane,

I Really enjoyed your set(s) at EM-2009. If you don't mind, I'd like to "pick your brain" to use a cliche.

I have some questions about gear. In this instance specifically the Kaoss Pad series and the KP-2 in particular.

How do you experienced users emlpoy your Kaoss Pads? As standalone sound generators, or in line (Send / Receive) FX Units? Both? Do you use the Line ins for other Synths to sample and manipulate?

Clue us in on some of the setups and even secrets of your successes if you could be so Kind.

What are some of the things that didn't work out with this gear.

Thanks.

And if I could recommend a change...The Topic Title is very generic and might not well describe what it could morph to...How about calling it "The Shane Morris Channel..."?
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
Hi there Shane,

I Really enjoyed your set(s) at EM-2009. If you don't mind, I'd like to "pick your brain" to use a cliche.

I have some questions about gear. In this instance specifically the Kaoss Pad series and the KP-2 in particular.

How do you experienced users emlpoy your Kaoss Pads? As standalone sound generators, or in line (Send / Receive) FX Units? Both? Do you use the Line ins for other Synths to sample and manipulate?

Clue us in on some of the setups and even secrets of your successes if you could be so Kind.

What are some of the things that didn't work out with this gear.

Thanks.

And if I could recommend a change...The Topic Title is very generic and might not well describe what it could morph to...How about calling it "The Shane Morris Channel..."?

Hey Danno Gee Ray!
It was great meeting you and hanging out at the festival! Im very glad you liked my sets and thanks for listening!

As far as the kaoss pad goes...I actually do not own one. But I think I'm probably going to get one after all the great tricks I saw with it after EM09.

But... I have had a few friends that have used them. I have a friend that is a skronkie jazz player that uses the Kaoss Pad as sound generator and also an effects unit. And...I know others that just use it more for an efx unit.
I think it just depends on your needs and purposes. Experiment with it and see what you think works for you. Its quite a powerful instrument ... thats for sure.

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Shane,

So What equipment were you using on stage?

I'm trying to figure out a few basics, and put together an small but decent ensemble of gear to give the music making a try.

I'm not asking for all your secrets, just a little clue at the top level.

Thanks,
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, Shane has his own forum, sweet Very Happy
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
Thanks Shane,

So What equipment were you using on stage?

I'm trying to figure out a few basics, and put together an small but decent ensemble of gear to give the music making a try.

I'm not asking for all your secrets, just a little clue at the top level.

Thanks,

No secrets really... This is what I played at EM09.

I use a Roland Juno 106, Alesis QSR Rack with an MAudio 49 key, Boss Sampler, Roland MC909, Soundcraft Mixer, Alesis MidiVerb4, Line6Delay/Loop, and Akai Headrush looper.

I have some loops in the sampler and the 909. I also have the QSR with the Line6 and the Juno with the Headrush for live looping the synths. I slide in and out of improvisation and composition using these instruments.

I really like to have a continous mix of immersive sound when I play so I try my best to segue all of my sounds together as well. Of course , thats just my thing and my wife often jokes about how other people have more than one song (60mins Long)

I like to modulate my loops and vary the sounds, pitch, chords, breaks to keep the music fresh. I try hard to not let the loops become monotonous like a machine. This is easily done with MC909 with a wealth of ways to manipulate the sounds within. Live looping, I tend to keep the loops shorter in duration more often.

Hope that helped some. Let me know if you have any other questions. Like I think we discussed at the festival...I am still yet to use computers for making music so everything I use is hardware based.

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Shane,

I'm looking at putting together a rig without computer.

You have a lot of power in your tools. You wield them well
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very informative.

I'm rereading this and getting more each time.

Thanks.
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Danno
... you could post your experiments on the forum as you go along. Would be cool to hear what you are doing.

Just knowing all the cool toys you had at the festival... I can imagine that you would make sound pretty neat sounds! Now you can loop yourself with the Kaoss pad Smile

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:
wow, Shane has his own forum, sweet Very Happy

Thanks Jez! beer

It is Sweet! quite fun already Laughing

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My problem right now is trying to work out what I need to use for what type of elements of sound.

I have a Boss DR-202 Drum Machine
The Kaoss Pad KP-2
Alesis Air Synth and Air FX
MicroKorg
Alesis MIDI Verb and MIDI FEX (Originals)
and a Korg Electibe EA-1
A Behringer 12 channel mini mixer
Assundry other...toys

Just trying to work out how to...do something with it...
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In a MIDI timing / sync setup, would it be better to use the DR-202 as master (sync out) or the EA-1?
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
In a MIDI timing / sync setup, would it be better to use the DR-202 as master (sync out) or the EA-1?

heheh...i don't midi sync my stuff either. I use tap tempo if needed...but not often.

As far as which should be master/slave...It depends on what you plan to do with them I think.

If you plan for each composition to have the 202 as the drum machine...and say the EA1 as the chords, harmonies, bleeps, etc... then 202 would be the better master.

But If the EA1 was the foundation of your tunes...that might be a better master controller for your setup.

Nice equipment btw...sounds like you are ready to make music my friend!

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Shane,

Now to figure out what to do with it...
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
Thanks Shane,

Now to figure out what to do with it...

that's the fun part Smile

kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shane,

Just dropping by to say "hi".

Your music is amazing and you are amazing, too -- generous with your time and talent.

Was fun to see you and Teresa at EM09. Look forward to jamming with you soon.

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SWo Shane,

When composing Ambient music, what ere the elements which you use in your compositions?

The drone?
Reverbed mechanicals.
Tonal arpegiatiions?

What types of elements do you use in your compositions?
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
Shane,

Just dropping by to say "hi".

Your music is amazing and you are amazing, too -- generous with your time and talent.

Was fun to see you and Teresa at EM09. Look forward to jamming with you soon.

Thank you Kevin! Likewise as well my friend! EM festivals would not be the same without you.

It was wonderful to hang out with you in NJ too! I have some new ideas for the KC fest now as well.

Definitely want to play some music with you over the wintertime!!! Just what I need really! Very Happy

electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Shane, first of all I'm here to pay respect to your personal and musical likabillity. Ermm...that would be lovability.

Dan:

Danno Gee Ray wrote:

I have a Boss DR-202 Drum Machine
The Kaoss Pad KP-2
Alesis Air Synth and Air FX
MicroKorg
Alesis MIDI Verb and MIDI FEX (Originals)
and a Korg Electibe EA-1
A Behringer 12 channel mini mixer
Assundry other...toys

Cool assortment of gear this, Dan.
How to connect is mainly dependent on the mixer. Especially the number of FX / aux / monitor sends per channel. The more the better, so dedicate as much of these sends to function as effect send.
Then do not use effects returns exept maybe for the MIDI Verb that could also be used dirctly on the stereo output. Instead let each effect have its own channel. This way you can have any order of effect routing, eq your effects, fade them in on the fly, set up feedback paths. A compressor or distortion effect would be beneficial to limit dynamic range in your feedbackpath. Now you don't even need sound input to get all sorts of pads and modulations going, and keep the percussive elements more dry.

When lack of sends occurs I suggest the KP2 to have its own send.

The AirFX I think is somewhat feeble sounding, has some " instrument like" presets, filters and less practicle stuff (as effects in the usual sense) that you may accidentally select as it only has the numeric readout to tell you what preset you use. So this would be the perfect candidate to have it's output followed with a distortion and one of the other Alesis effects, thus saving an input channel.

Google "No-Input Mixer" to see what people are doing with mixers as an instrument.

Loads of demos at Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcPCVUhCebc&feature=related

We could be filling page after page discussing setup. Maybe you should have your own "Danno Gee Ray" channel?

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
SWo Shane,

When composing Ambient music, what ere the elements which you use in your compositions?

The drone?
Reverbed mechanicals.
Tonal arpegiatiions?

What types of elements do you use in your compositions?

hey danno

I played and studied "conventional" music for years... rock, reggae, jazz, electronica, fusion, free jazz, cuban and african drumming.
I use everything i've learned from working in these fields in my own solo music in both constructive and deconstructive ways Laughing

For the foundation of a tune, I will use a drone, bass line, a rhythm (of some kind), chord progression, or field recording, ... often a combination of 2 or 3 of these.
I also will often use loops either sequenced or live looped for my foundation...freeing up my hands, feet, brain for other things. But, sometimes I will also just play it live as well. Just depends.

Upon this... I will add chords, notes, more rhythms, sounds and noises, other field recordings, and melodies, arpeggiations, or solos.
So I use a lot of "layering" of sounds as things progress. Some sounds come in and out of the mix... others are sedentary and heard throughout the piece.

I also will use all types of chords...Major, minor, Dominant/minor 7ths, 9ths,13ths, Diminished, Half-Diminished, Augmented, Chromatic, Atonal, Random chord Clusters, and Forearm are used commonly Laughing

I do some soloing and melodies at times in my music as well...although not as often like playing "conventional" music.
For this, i will employ all kinds of scales... just as a jazz or rock player would...and often different ones in each composition.
I also enjoy doing solos free of scales...and using "intervals" instead. It gives you a kind of freedom outside of scales that I enjoy as well.

Lastly, I do still enjoy using "Dynamics" in my music as well. Highs and Lows, Tension and Release are very commonly found in my music as well. I do also enjoy creating "floating" pieces that seem to freeze you in time/space...like a lot of traditional ambient does. So...I choose to put "Dynamics" and "Floating/Suspensions" in a set. A big part of my goal is take the listener and myself on a journey with sound...so I will use these techniques to help achieve that experience.

Oh yeah ... one more thing... effects wise... I am generally most of the time very simple. 1. Volume Control 2. Delay 3. Reverb ... in that order. But I will also add other effects from time to time like flange, ring mod, etc.

I hope this is somewhere in the ballpark of what you were asking. Very Happy

Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Shane Morris
Jump to: