electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Roland issues budget Fantom model
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Roland issues budget Fantom model Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Press Release

Roland's Fantom-X series continues to grow, now with the Fantom-Xa, a more affordable way to get your hands on the company's new generation of sampling workstation.

Many of the most popular features from the flagship Fantom-X line have been ported to the Fantom-Xa, including 128-voice polyphony, major memory expansion, high-resolution built-in sequencing, realtime audio time-stretching, COSM modeling effects, mastering processor, Skip Back Sampling, USB port, WAV/AIF compatibility, and an SRX expansion slot. The onboard PC Card slot allows up to a gigabyte of patch and sample data storage.

Under the Fantom-Xa's hood is a powerful synth engines loaded with raw waveforms, semi-modular structures, multiple filter types, and up to eight syncable LFOs per patch, including the expressive programmable Step LFO. The Fantom-Xa's patchs cover the classic keyboard and orchestral instruments plus modern electronic textures and more. The 1,000-plus internal patches are categorized by family (Electric Guitars, Soft Pads, Organs, etc.) so it's easy to find your sound quickly.

Whether you're sequencing MIDI tracks, triggering samples, or even recording audio directly to RAM, the Fantom-Xa makes combining these elements a simple process. Lay down a drum track by combining the internal drum sounds with audio loops, which can automatically sync to tempo via realtime timestretching. Then record some keyboard parts via MIDI and finish your song by tracking a guitar or vocal as audio. The high-resolution sequencer holds up to 400,000 events, and supports Standard MIDI Files.

The Fantom-Xa also includes COSM effects. There are three MFX processors onboard, plus dedicated reverb, chorus, and even a mastering processor with multiband compression. Export your mixes to a PC or Mac via USB for CD burning.

http://www.rolandus.com

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.[/url]

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... I might be wrong.. but this looks damned too much like just another mean polka machine and no performance oriented synth. When will those guys learn? The Jupiter 6 was great.. one of my favorite Roland synths ever. Hmm.. they should issue some modern take on that one.. and they could call it Roland KamaSutra... Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is this Roland's answer to the Korg Triton LE? Is the Fantom Roland's answer to the Korg Triton in general? They look very similar and will probably get a lot of use in pop production studios (like the triton already does)...live performace issues are not terribly necessary in these departments Rolling Eyes
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think, like a lot of roland gear, it is a polka machine on the surface, and you really have to dig to get control of the beast. If I'm not mistaken, the fantom has the new sampling engine (formant, etc), and the "everything in a box" synth/sequencer/drum pads. But I agree, the interface is 1/2 way between a "real" synthesizer, and a Casio "band-in-a-box". It was roland that tought me that I could identify electronic gear in not only the sounds of music, but they *way* that particular music piece was made. Very identifiable (as I think akai MPC's are...especially now that I own one)
oXo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep another product, another product to make money, more money.
I'll not buy Roland new gear, because they don't lesson the user's need Crying or Very sad
They prefer to make new product than take some time to upgrade a gear to fit exactly what we want...
On the Mc909 board, we ask them to add some simple stuff on the 909's software and they do nothing... They just correct bug, and only bug.. No new features, no change... And we ask them really simple stuff, may be 3 or 4 days of coding ... nothing more...
I think Japan manufacturer must take example on manufacturer like Clavia, I think it's a best idea to have less product but product evolving with the user's need.
My dream : Roland give us the source code of the Mc 909 , so we can make what we want on a good hardware platform...
But it's just a dream Crying or Very sad
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
I think, like a lot of roland gear, it is a polka machine on the surface, and you really have to dig to get control of the beast.

Yeah, you are right. But if sex had been so difficult I guess the human race had been extinct by now. The Nord Modular is a different thingie and it is far more hands on and it is deep. I really donĀ“t think a musical instrument should have a space invaders interface. man, this new Fantom has a lot.. even audio export and a sequencer.. you can master songs on it. It is a damned studio. It seems like all the polka machine vendors are putting hybrid digital studios into everything these days. They will probably fit 8 track studios into guitar tuners soon. When I think of it, they already did.. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Jump to: