electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cwejman Sound
Anyone bought a Cwejman rack recently?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
hogberto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Anyone bought a Cwejman rack recently? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

goodness me, it's quiet around here. Crying or Very sad

i sold my S1 mk2 a year ago and i kind of miss it.

time to make another trip to cwejman land i think.

but this time i think that i may go down the modular route.

i kind of like the look of the cwejman rack. but no-one seems to be selling them. not in europe anyway. analogue haven in california look as though they may have them, though i haven't asked yet.

has anyone bought one of these new in the last 6 months or so? any idea if wowa is still producing them? or has he stopped making them in favour of concentrating on new modules?

any info anyone? Cool
monads

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is pretty dead around here Crying or Very sad I figure the users that were here migrated over to the forums at http://www.muffwiggler.com/

I don't think the rack is even in stock at analogue haven right now. Wowa has been concentrating on module design/production. New releases are slow, and FAR between. I'm sure the rack hasn't been discontinued. I would send Wowa an email, explain you'd like to buy a rack but can't find anywhere.
hogberto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Monads.

yeah, i hang around at Muffwiggler too.

shame not to use a Cwejman-specific forum though. Sad

i'm leaning more in favour of the S1 MkII again though.

meh. maybe i'll just wait until i've actually got some cash together and then make a decision. Cool
monads

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know, I wish cwejman users would post here more. Which ever way you go/decide, I'm sure you'll be having fun again Wink

Let us know what you decide. Man you should've kept your S1, then you could be thinking modular right now. I love the modular, but those modules add up!
<eof>

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I'm new here, not sure if this thread is even still of use...

I recently stocked up my cwejman rack - I did some outboard processing on a jazz production with it so the setup is a bit special but there are more modules at home, if you are still interested in anything regarding the modules, just let me know...

PA220424.jpg
 Description:
3 19" panels of cwejman modules in a custom case, the top panel levels down for easy transportation
 Filesize:  218.99 KB
 Viewed:  964 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

PA220424.jpg

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome <eof>
monads

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

looks nice! what modules were housed in that boat? I can make out:

2 ADSR-VC2s
MMF-1
FSH-1 x 2? or one of them an SPH-2
AI-2
PH-4
D-LFO
<eof>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: The System Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Monads,

Thank's for your interest, as already said, the main purpose of this setup was live effects for piano and some acoustic toys, the decision for going analog in the first place was dictated by the need to blend in and out (wet/dry) without any combfiltering (which is something you don't want with a SteinwayD in a concerthall with a PA tuned to be "inaudible")
The setup consisted (meanwhile I changed it ) of the following modules:

TOP BOAT:
AP-1: external sound processor a nice input module for external (acoustic sound sources - the input signal generates a program dependent CV envelope as well as a very nice working compressor. The input has a huge gain range. What I was missing was some visual feedback on what the envelope actually did (a LED woud have been nice) - I used it to trigger the 2 ADSRs, but I'm sure it can be used directly as well, depending on the source.

ADSR-VC2 x2 very nice ADSRs super fast if needed and have large VC range.

PH-4 - I love it - nothing more to be said other than my favorite apps: the 4 stages as pans/gains for the MX-4s, frequencies on the RES-4, also for FM for 4VCOs

D-LFO sraightforward module with the SYNC TRIP option that I haven't used extensively yet.

CENTER BOAT:
MMF-1 &
DMF-2 two nice filtersets, even when overridden (clip LEDs on) it's hard to make them not sounding nice (which sometimes can be a real disadvantage)
there is such a thing as the 'Cwejman sound' - either you like it or you don't.

RES-4 cool thing for what it does, personally I like it a lot, but due to missing seperate ins and outs for the resonators a kind of a one trick pony ... Would have been great to use 2 resonators per channel for stereo processing.

NS-4 Noise - who doesn't need it? Good working S/H

VCA-2P was my first VCA, I like VC panning so this is the cure for all mono modules.

ATT-4 I'd recommend at leas one for every setup

BOTTOM BOAT:
VCO2-RM good VCOs for the bucks, sync and a good ringmodulation

FSH-1 the shifter sounds nice but has (like almost all analog designs) a significant crosstalk (which varies from module to module and can be tweaked, I was told by Wowa on the phone, who is, btw a really nice guy)

SPH-2 two thumbs up for this one

mult - I just built it myself - of course there has to be a reason why people should buy Wowa's PSU/mult/output rack... Wink

MX-4S sounds great , almost no crosstalk an lots of headroom - because of the pricetag was thinking hard about buying this one but havent regret it ever since.

AI-2 - a must when working in a live pro environment

All the 19" boats were housed in a wooden rack with the top boat could be "submerged" between the side panels mini moog style so I could carry it fully patched in a suitcase. Below the third panel is one Doepfer PSU and power cable during transport. We did 20+ shows with this patch, almost every day in and out of the truck, carried by stagehands (!) and it hasn't let me down once. (not even the minijacks - which I hate btw).
For me these were the main points to get this system:

It sounds awesome (with it's distinct cwejman color), has tons of headroom
and is built like a tank, PCBS,Pots,SMDs, and all super compact.

Originally my idea was to get my 4 panel 82' Serge rig on tour (with a gentle electric pitch and envelope follower) but after talking to Rex Probe who talked me out of it and considering the footprint on the FOH, the size of a case for a pre patched 4 panel system I just thought, 'what the heck I just extend my cwejman system as a no-headache solution' - and I am glad that I did it.
Of couse the Serge has much more capabilities, and is IMHO a far superior system in terms of flexibility than almost any other system out there, but I am not gonna get started about this now, if you like the sound and are willing to deal with minijacks Cwejman is choice for solid HIFI processing and synthesis. I will not sell any of my modules, that's for sure.

Hmm, this about is the story - and I'm going to bed now Cool

Best

Klaus

PA250445.jpg
 Description:
Digital and Analog - They do get well together :-)
 Filesize:  185.96 KB
 Viewed:  968 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

PA250445.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cwejman Sound
Jump to: