electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Appendage Ribbon Controller PC Board Orders for 2020
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [57 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject:  Appendage Ribbon Controller PC Board Orders for 2020
Subject description: Prcie reduction !!!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

STOCK QUANTITY: 48 Updated March 20, 2020

sMs Audio Electronics is now taking orders for the Appendage Touch Ribbon Controller PC board. This board has not been available since 2011. There is a limited run of 20 PCB's. Stock quantities will always be posted here so please check before you order

BUILD & TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-49650.html

Want to see what the Appendage can do? Take a peek at Scott Stites videos on his YouTube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/ScottStites

Great controller project by The Electronic Peasant

http://www.electronicpeasant.com/projects/synthbend/synthbend.html

Printed Circuit Board (2 Layer, Silkscreened, Green Soldermask) ---- $20.00

Shipping to US/CAN _________ $8.50
Shipping all other destinations _________ $14.00
Shipping is FLAT rate .... buy 1, buy 10, it don't matter, same price ...

Link to Eurorack Adapter PCB:
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-437835.html#437835

Please Send Payments via Paypal to: billnrob@optonline.net

Thank You
Bill
sMs Audio Electronics

dragon_sm_1.jpg
 Description:
A BEAUTIFUL EXAMPLE OF THE TOUCH RIBBON CONTROLLER RIBBON ASSEMBLY BY SCOTT STITES
 Filesize:  45.97 KB
 Viewed:  1347 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

dragon_sm_1.jpg

Appendage_Rev_J_PCB.jpg
 Description:
REV "J" PCB
 Filesize:  4.01 MB
 Viewed:  877 Time(s)

Appendage_Rev_J_PCB.jpg

SYNTH_BEND_ELECTRONIC_PEASANT.JPG
 Description:
SynthBend Controller showing an assembled Appendage PCB
 Filesize:  195.55 KB
 Viewed:  842 Time(s)

SYNTH_BEND_ELECTRONIC_PEASANT.JPG

SYNTH_BEND_ELECTRONIC_PEASANT_COMPLETE.JPG
 Description:
the SynthBend Controller constructed by The Electronic Peasant.
 Filesize:  138.3 KB
 Viewed:  831 Time(s)

SYNTH_BEND_ELECTRONIC_PEASANT_COMPLETE.JPG

Last edited by State Machine on Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:56 pm; edited 28 times in total
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Started well sort of
finally decided on euro format I really needed the small format for this.
It will be a beast
6 x SN voice , 6 x living memory VCO's and 6 x braids under construction Drew up a panel design in euro for my appendage boards 46 HP each

appendage euro panel.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  appendage euro panel.pdf
 Filesize:  90.7 KB
 Downloaded:  1665 Time(s)

as good an answer as any
loydb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you finished your Appendage euro yet? I like that panel, do you have it in FPD?

Thanks!

MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi loyd
haha no not yet too busy with work at the moment
FPD no problem

APPENDAGE EURO.fpd
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  APPENDAGE EURO.fpd
 Filesize:  2.37 KB
 Downloaded:  1422 Time(s)

as good an answer as any
loydb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, that looks great!
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Hi. I had not planned on any new runs but most likely could take a poll to see who would be interested.

I have to dig up the Appendage links.

The boards are big and became very expensive to get manufactured.

Let me see what I can do about an interest poll.

Bill

Hey Bill, if you're still around ....

Someone created a new thread begging for new Appendages, wondering if a new layout using, say SMT parts might not be a solution to the size issue?

I'm interested in taking a shot at such a thing, but of course, only if you & Scott are OK with it.

Before anyone else gets all hot & bothered, the last major "laying out someone else's project" I did was a Benjolin run that took me about 6 months to layout and run. And that was all through hole. So.... Right now this is in the "thought experiment" and "asking permission" stage, not remotely in the "gonna do it" or "ready to deliver" stage Very Happy
flab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aaah nice here is the correct thread Embarassed ,
i think the smt idea,is a good idea, is the new black, will compress the boards to half.
This is a great and versatile project, much better than any ribbon controllers in diy/ and in non diy market. I can offer my help, if designers needs my help of course, with a panel design for euro or /and other formats.

Best
elmegil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NO reason to be embarrassed, I only went back to this one because I expect it to actually send notification to Bill Smile
flab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i was speaking with Bill himself through pm's for the project Very Happy .

elmegil, i made three benjolins , but i was using the other man's pcb for euro, You did a great job at the pcb, and supporting with building instructions.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HI Guys

Quote:
Someone created a new thread begging for new Appendages, wondering if a new layout using, say SMT parts might not be a solution to the size issue?

I'm interested in taking a shot at such a thing, but of course, only if you & Scott are OK with it.

I have no problem with you taking a shot at developing an SMT version of the Appendage Ribbon Controller. You have my blessings and I am sure Scott's as well. An SMT version will beg the development of a new build and calibration document as the present document is based on my through hole board design.

I have attached the REV. J schematic for you to work from. This is the latest incarnation of the Appendage that adds 4 protection diodes.

I will probably resurrect the through hole version myself for anyone that still wants that. I will probably redraw the schematic in Proteus and generate new Gerber files. The schematic is BUSY and will take lots of time to redraw and check !! Rolling Eyes

On the subject of front panels, I see that someone has already gotten a good head start on a Euro panel in Front Panel Express format one page back in this thread. Either a new version can be made from scratch or use the one posted and edit to your liking. FPE can be a bit expensive though for one or two off though.

Bill

Appendage Rev J.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Appendage Rev J.zip
 Filesize:  398.14 KB
 Downloaded:  884 Time(s)

elmegil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Bill!

We shall see how it goes, I do have some other stuff ahead of it in my hopper as well.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure, thanks !! I understand that the majority of us do this in our spare time Smile Thank you for offering to perform the work. Afterwards, we can work on a manual for your SMT version.

Bill
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If there is another run of Appendage boards (whether Elmegil's SMD work or Bill's thru-hole), I would be keen for one Smile
sixbyseven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
HI Guys

I will probably resurrect the through hole version myself for anyone that still wants that. "
Bill

I would totally be in for one or two of these. I tried making one from a resistive ladder keyboard PCB in combination with a voltage quantitizer.. Somewhat worked, but nowhere near the quality of what Scott had demoed in his videos.

So, please add me to any order list for through hole Appendage PCBs that may be made again. This has been on my dream list for years.

Thank you.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I would totally be in for one or two of these. I tried making one from a resistive ladder keyboard PCB in combination with a voltage quantitizer.. Somewhat worked, but nowhere near the quality of what Scott had demoed in his videos.

So, please add me to any order list for through hole Appendage PCBs that may be made again. This has been on my dream list for years.

Thank you.

Great to hear. I am working out the details now for the through hole Appendage board. Have not done a run in years and really want to get this fantastic design in the hands of artists. Since the last ribbon controller run there has been a explosion of analog modular systems and users out there that gets bigger every year. This is evidenced by the numbers of manufacturers & attendees at meet ups and expos each passing year.

The Appendage though hole board can be designed into a desktop unit, which are also so popular today, and will interface to any form factor modular system. It has several power connectivity options also.

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Thanks Bill!

We shall see how it goes, I do have some other stuff ahead of it in my hopper as well.

Ideally, this is just my opinion folks, if an SMT design were done, it would more practical to make it Eurorack compatible and mount all components, including the front panel stuff, into one PC board.

How do others feel about this? Are there any specific requests about the SMT board design from anyone? Euro, MOTM, Frac, no specific format at all?

Bill
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd say design for Euro, but make the power connector one of those universal type things, like the one on Random*Source's Living VCO 2015 release, that can take both Eurorack pin header power, and also 4 pin MOTM power.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Bill!

Ideally, this is just my opinion folks, if an SMT design were done, it would more practical to make it Eurorack compatible and mount all components, including the front panel stuff, into one PC board.

How do others feel about this? Are there any specific requests about the SMT board design from anyone? Euro, MOTM, Frac, no specific format at all?

Bill

My thought was to do like a few others of this sort, and do a sandwich arrangement. Panel parts and immediately relevant bits on the panel PCB, and the rest through straight headers to a second, rear PCB.

Edit: Also, yes, I always do a joint Euro/MOTM power header and mounting holes to allow for other formats.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
My thought was to do like a few others of this sort, and do a sandwich arrangement. Panel parts and immediately relevant bits on the panel PCB, and the rest through straight headers to a second, rear PCB.

Yes indeed, another popular method also. Perfect. Maybe this will motivate me to continue with the expansion (Located on the 20 pin header) that adds a MIDI note quantizer among a few other things. This allowed me to control my software and hardware synths via MIDI using the Appendage. Originally implemented on an Arduino UNO but easily done on a NANO. I have to resurrect the code and clean it up.

Quote:
Edit: Also, yes, I always do a joint Euro/MOTM power header and mounting holes to allow for other formats.

Yes I have been adding that to all my boards also. The through hole Appendage includes footprints for EURO/DOEPFER, DOT COM, MOTM, and a general purpose terminal block for power input options.

Bill
sixbyseven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="State Machine"]
Quote:

Bill

I can certainly see the need to fit Euro, but as a person who plans live performances, I would want it as a "formatless" add-on. That way I can use it with any of the commercial, DIY or any modular synths I was using at the time.

Since the artworks are all ready done for through hole, and these boards were built and tested, someone would just need to layout the SMT version, build and test it. Both could be offered if there was enough interest. I just think it is one of the most unique controllers, that has so much potential for the maker/artist/builder to reflect any kind of whacky or cool controller you would want.

I hope this can happen either way

flab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have to say that is a bit odd to see 2 boards at the same time for the same reason, why not one solution that suits both of you. I am not criticising, i am just thinking out loud
elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm comparing the Euro panel to the panel signal connections, and there are two things that confuse me....

1) there is "octave", "semitone" and "fine" on the panel, but I only see "coarse" and "fine" in the schematic.

2) there's a "slide" pot on the panel, but I see a "glide" and a "slide amount" pot on the schematic. Am I missing one somewhere?

Any clarification appreciated.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
i have to say that is a bit odd to see 2 boards at the same time for the same reason, why not one solution that suits both of you. I am not criticising, i am just thinking out loud

Appreciate the feedback Very Happy ! No problem. Actually my through hole board has been sold to many customers and all the hard work put into the documentation is based on this board version so I really did not want to tamper with a good thing. However, Elmegil would like to design an SMT version of the PCB allowing a more compact version than mine for Eurorack format users. This will allow more choices for our DIY community Cool
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
) there's a "slide" pot on the panel, but I see a "glide" and a "slide amount" pot on the schematic. Am I missing one somewhere?

The SLIDE pot maps to the GLIDE in the schematic. The SLIDE AMOUNT maps to the potentiometer in the MIX section on the right of the panel. Yes, it seems confusing but I believe that's it.
elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, the "Mix" column are the various amounts. Got it.

So the only outstanding question is what the heck the octave/semitone/fine pots map to Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [57 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: