electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
<on air> Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Patches to the List
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 138

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Patches to the List Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,
I am pretty unhappy with the development on the NM mailinglist...
This was a place where lots of good patches was shared and ideas and inspirations exchanged by that way.
The nature of a list is that these patches end on your harddisk automatically...you can access them later with one click...
Nothing you have to search for...
This was fun.
Looking for new patches in the forum pages is allways an act by intention and it needs really time to look thru all the cattegories...

Could we please use the list again for exchanging patches? The might be later show up in an archive like in older days...
I really would prefer that rather seeing the mailinglist dieing...
People that are new to the list dont get inspired to post own patches when there is nothing happening anymore...

My opinion...
Sven

Last edited by 3phase on Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 147
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Patches to the List Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
Hello,
I am pretty unhappy with the development on the NM mailinglist...

Indeed not much is happening over there, but not too much seems to be happening here either. Maybe people locked themselves up to do patching.
Quote:

Looking for new patches in the forum pages is allways an act by intention and it needs really time to look thru all the cattegories...

Using http://electro-music.com/g2patches.php it's not too hard now either I think, but yes you do have to go out now looking.
Quote:

Could we please use the list again for exchanging patches? The might be later show up in an archive like in older days...

That is the problem ... maybe later. For me it is especially the way patches get archived along with the information exchanged about them that makes me prefer the forum over the mailing list.
Quote:

I really would prefer that rather seeing the mailinglist dieing...

I would not like to see that happen either, we've been having good times on the list. On the other hand I think the Clavia forum here can potentially grow into a place with the same spirit, or did the times change ?
Quote:

People that are new to the list dont get inspired to post own patches when there is nothing happening anymore...

But some people new to the forum seem to be pretty inspired now.
Quote:

My opinion...

I, and I'm sure others as well, appreciate your concerns. Things seem to be shifting though, and for myself I can see some advantages in it. Some disadvantages as well And it's always sad to loose something that was nice and good.

Jan.
egw

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's too late to put that genie back in the bottle.
There are pros and cons to mailing lists and forums, and they've been discussed. Your best bet is to post your patches on the list and ask others to do the same. But I fear that unless someone wants to make the effort to create a comprehensive archive or database, the patches are not all going to be in one place and easy to access.
Personally I rarely use other people's patches. Maybe I'll check them once in a while if there's an interesting new concept. But there are too many to sort through - it's often faster, and a lot more fun, to make your own.
3phase

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also very rarly use other peoples patches..
And that is the reason why i dont like to search a forum page for new patches...
On the list you just gave it a try because it was so easy accesible...and 3 times it happened that i really was overwhelmed by a posted patch.. I would have missed this inspiration if the things would have been organised as they are now...
I think the reduced list activity has to do with the lack of patch postings...
Most patches are posted to the forum now...
And it looks more silent than it actually is because everything is so hidden here... especially the patches that somehow get lost in all theire subcattegories

Sven
3phase

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And its not about to put something back in the bottle...
Its about encouraging people to share theire patches on the list...especially the experimental and not finished ones...
The major release can be done here than..
Anyway..sharing is not very modern this days Wink
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. perhaps an interface to patches.. like the current media/mp3 listing is called for?

http://electro-music.com/mp3media.php

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Hmm.. perhaps an interface to patches.. like the current media/mp3 listing is called for?

http://electro-music.com/mp3media.php

It is there already. Jan mentioned it. http://electro-music.com/g2patches.php

3phase, please give G2 patch archive a try. It will go a long way towards making the forum easier for you to deal with. Patches by default show up sorted from most recent down. You don't have to even go to the forum to download the patches. There is no need to look around. Nothing is hidden.

As you will see, the patches are organized in ways to make it easier to find what you are interested in. With a click of the mouse you can get them sorted by author, title, forum, and topic.

When I get a little time, I'm going to put a few more search capabilities. Higher on my list of priorities is the ability to provide zip files of several patches.

Also, think of the new comers. Compared to a mailing list the forum provides a huge and growing resource. There is a treasure trove of information heer. Try using the forums seach mechanism.

I have been a member of the list for many years myself. I much prefer the forum, but I still participate in the list. People can certainly post to both. Lots of people post a patch on the forum where it is archived and accessable in the searchable archives, and then also post a message pointing to it on the list. Discussions can happen in either place. Everyone is free to do what they want.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: