electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
It's... the iPad!
Page 5 of 8 [185 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/fcabc720-10fb-11df-9a9e-00144feab49a.html?nclick_check=1

Interesting article about how platforms and the internet are closing up, written by a Harvard law professor.

/Stefan

Edit: hadn't read the whole article and assumed stuff that wasn't there Embarassed

jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems to be about how Apple is closing up.
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, so who pre-ordered an iPad this morning?

I'm getting a 3G unit so I will be waiting longer, but it's pre-ordered at least.

I'm excited about it, and looking forward to seeing some good electro type apps for it. I find the synth and 303 stuff I have no to be too many buttons in a tiny space for my fat fingers so it's hard to use.

iPad, hooooo!

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would if I could.

Europe will probably get em in 2011!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, and by that time the rev B versions would have appeared, with a camera fitted too!

I'm dumping my iPhone for an iPad. Or maybe I'll just go on holiday instead? Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah can't wait for the ipad to arive in europe.

And one thing which always never get mentions in those crappy atricles about the apple software not being open is that it protects the users from all kind off crap like addware,viruses,worms and whatever.
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I totally forgot that this was a international forum and that only the US has the iPad pre-orders so far.

Well, good news is, we will find the problems and complain about them so you guys can laugh and then get the 2nd gen with the camera, USB ports, etc later Very Happy

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

According to this blog, iSyn and technoBox are being ported to iPad, as well as Reason.

The blog cites Computer Music magazine, a UK publication that I have no access to.

bleep!Box appears to be the first iPhone app fully ported to iPad.

Some old stuff on VIRB
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno about Reason. It may be a little too much for the iPad/iPhone CPUs, but I guess we will see.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alienmeatsack wrote:
I dunno about Reason. It may be a little too much for the iPad/iPhone CPUs, but I guess we will see.

iIPad's CPU runs at 1GHz - it's quite a bit faster than the iPhone's:
http://www.maclife.com/article/feature/ipad_cpu_all_you_need_know_about_apple_a4

The article note it also has an integrated GPU and an unknown number of cores. The fastest iPhone (3GS) has a 600Mhz CPU.

I have not heard of Reason being a CPU hog, at least not to the extent that Native Instruments', Applied Acoustics, etc. software can be.

Have you ever tried a music app on an iPhone? The current state of the art music apps for iPhone are pretty impressive performers, imo. There is no reason in the world that, well, Reason can't perform just as well.

Some old stuff on VIRB
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We'll see I guess eh? Smile

I mean, I certainly wouldn't mind if it did come. But, based on the complaining people do about pricing of apps on iPhone (people are cheap) it would have to be priced pretty low to sell.

I just think that, even if the iPad has a 1ghz CPU, that is still a lot of real time stuff to be happening at once on it. And a LOT of controls and such to put on screen. But, if they do it and pull it off, awesome!

I personally find most of the music apps to be difficult to use due to the tiny screen on the iPhone. I have technoBox and never use it because my fat thumbs and poor eyes can't handle the tiny controls.

I'd like to see some form of audio in, a nice recorder, and basic filters for playing in the field. Especially for recording environmental sounds and then messing with them. I've used my iPhone's memo app to record before but it's quality is severely lacking.

Speaking of audio apps... I'd personally love to see ReBirth resurrected in iPad format and reconfigured so it's easy to use for fat fingers.

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alienmeatsack wrote:

I just think that, even if the iPad has a 1ghz CPU, that is still a lot of real time stuff to be happening at once on it. And a LOT of controls and such to put on screen. But, if they do it and pull it off, awesome!

Jasuto Pro is a fairly demanding app with onscreen controls and sound events going at once, yet my iPhone 3GS doesn't break a sweat running it. There's also RjDj, which is really a platform for running Pure Data music apps on iPhone - several RjDj scenes are pretty sophisticated.

The iPad CPU is really a multi-core CPU, and as I passed on, the actual number of cores is unknown. We do know there is an integrated GPU, and GPUs have more processing potential than general purpose CPUs.

I do sympathize with the finger size problem, though. I believe that is what led to the introduction of styluses for iPhones.

Some old stuff on VIRB
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:

I do sympathize with the finger size problem, though. I believe that is what led to the introduction of styluses for iPhones.

Perhaps Mr Jobs expects us all to have liver transplants?? Shocked Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

Perhaps Mr Jobs expects us all to have liver transplants?? Shocked Laughing

That is one bit of British humor that flew right past me. Laughing

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And me, maybe it is Northern English humour?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

Except that I was raised in Lewes, which is only a few miles away from Bexhill! Shocked

Okay Andy. What major change happens to the body after a liver transplant? Hmm?? Rolling Eyes Wink Very Happy Laughing

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:

Except that I was raised in Lewes, which is only a few miles away from Bexhill! Shocked

Okay Andy. What major change happens to the body after a liver transplant? Hmm?? Rolling Eyes Wink Very Happy Laughing

So you're saying alienmeatstack had a liver transplant just because he has big fingers? Shocked

Some old stuff on VIRB
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

It has a new liver?
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I decided to wake up and realize that I cannot afford an iPad, nor do I need one at this time. I am concentrating on hardware development and constantly distracted by radio show preparation and posting. So this Star Trek toy is not for me at this time...

Les

nobody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hm.

“You don’t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn’t work any more.”

Excuse me, Mr. Jobs, but that is MY decision to make about something I bought with MY money.

"I Am Rich, which for $999.99 displayed a picture of a gem, just to show that the iPhone owner could afford the software."

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

"But the App Store has a catch: app developers and their software must be approved by Apple. If Apple does not like the app, for any reason, it is gone."

mad, short circuit

"Another app, Freedom Time, never made it in. It counted down the days to the end of George W. Bush’s US presidency, and that was deemed too politically sensitive."

Oh, I would have LOVED that!

"An e-mail reader was denied because it competed with Apple’s own Mail app."

Cluuuuuck, buck buck buck! Afraid of a little competition, losers?

"George Orwell’s 1984 was retroactively zapped from Kindles", thus proving Georgie dead-on.

After reading this article, I say screw the iPhone, iPad and Apple. Evil or Very Mad
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
I decided to wake up and realize that I cannot afford an iPad, nor do I need one at this time. I am concentrating on hardware development and constantly distracted by radio show preparation and posting. So this Star Trek toy is not for me at this time...

Les

Wise descision Les. I will be holding back too, not least because I already have an iPod, but also because there will hopefully be viable alternatives coming as well.

Give it a few years and you'll get a free multi touch tablet when you buy a biro. Wink

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ian-s wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

It has a new liver?

Well if you are fortunate enough to get one I suppose? Shocked

Liver disease is something that runs in my family (my father's side). My father almost died from jaundice at the age of 27. I've done my fair bit of drinking in the past, but I don't want to die from a diseased liver. Shocked

As for liver to eat, unfortunately, my wife doesn't like liver, but I love it! Very Happy

pyrosonic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
After reading this article, I say screw the iPhone, iPad and Apple. Evil or Very Mad

Well,you can always go with Apple's competitors...
except that they're behavior is worse than that.

Don't read TOO much into that article because it's kinda...um...
bullshit.

Read the first few comments on it,they put it in perspective.

Yeah,news flash:Apple is a corporation not Mother Theresa.And they behave pretty much like most the other corporations

only better.

Sorta.

Rolling Eyes

But,in fairness,I DO see where you're coming from...
I'd like to be able to expect better from the companies that I buy my tools from,but it doesn't always work out that way.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:

smaller fingers?
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

smaller fingers?

longer nails (on smaller fingers) to use as styluses?

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Page 5 of 8 [185 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: