electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
It's... the iPad!
Page 6 of 8 [185 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think nails work...

/Stefan

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
I don't think nails work...

Iron ... actually it would I think ... for a while at least Wink

But maybe nails would be too pointy, the thing seems to need some minimal contact area.

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whether nails would work depends on the touch interface they use.

On the iPhone/iPod Touch, nails don't work. But, on the Magic Mouse, they do if your nails are the right thickness or less and allow whatever conductive mumbojumbo they use thru.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, especially effective if you also hammer those nails through! Wink
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, the Pad is with us, and we alreday have a (small?) problem - the wifi signal...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8606727.stm

Having to rely on wifi is one major reason why I'm left cold by this somewhat interesting toy, but I am surprised it is an issue, even for a small minority after countless pod- and phone updates.

Oh well...

Antimon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm, constantly having problems with wifi on all my gadgets everywhere. iPod Touch, MacBook Pro, a Windows laptop, an Android phone, at home, at my parent's or at work - all the freaking time. I'm probably a bit of a moron when it comes to this stuff, but it really seems to be an imperfect technology. My Nintendo Wii seems to work ok though...

/Stefan

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
So, the Pad is with us, and we alreday have a (small?) problem - the wifi signal...

Yes, but if you read the article, it states that "hundreds" have had problems, not "thousands", which so far is the amount that the iPad has sold (http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/03/12/apple-sells-50000-ipads-in-two-hours/).

This is usual, as the amount of people who will buy this product, there will always be a small amount of customers who will have done something wrong- like confusing a 3G signal with a Wi-Fi signal, or haven't set up the router properly etc etc.

Stefan, I sometimes get problems with my Wi-Fi on my iPhone or Rosie's iPod, if a PC (my HP) is sharing the same router, in the house. This has been fixed in the past by a software update to XP, where the problem, then, just 'disappeared'. Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The charging issues seem pretty widespread, especially with PCs. It seems to be with any USB port that delivers 5V (the standard), new macs provide up to 10V so are not an issue.

Apparently putting the iPad into sleep mode enables it to charge from a 5V port, so it will not charge when syncing, nice design!

Still looking every day on the apple store to see if I can buy one though!

Andy
Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Stefan, I sometimes get problems with my Wi-Fi on my iPhone or Rosie's iPod, if a PC (my HP) is sharing the same router, in the house. This has been fixed in the past by a software update to XP, where the problem, then, just 'disappeared'. Very Happy

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind. So I guess one thing to try could be to have a gadget dedicated to wireless instead of using the router/wireless combo thingie I have?

/Stefan

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Muied Lumens wrote:

Yes, but if you read the article, it states that "hundreds" have had problems, not "thousands", which so far is the amount that the iPad has sold (http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/03/12/apple-sells-50000-ipads-in-two-hours/).

I agree v-un-v. It's probably only being reported because of the hype around the ipad itself.

And well spotted on the spam! Mr. Green

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
The charging issues seem pretty widespread, especially with PCs. It seems to be with any USB port that delivers 5V (the standard), new macs provide up to 10V so are not an issue.

Apparently putting the iPad into sleep mode enables it to charge from a 5V port, so it will not charge when syncing, nice design!

The iPad has got one f**k-off sized battery inside, and the actual 'motherboard' is tiny (indicated in red)! Hopefully we should expect some really long battery use times- way greater than that of the iPhone/ Touch of course Smile

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

More here

Quote:
Still looking every day on the apple store to see if I can buy one though!

Me too! Cool

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Definitely some Wi Fi devices are much worse than others.

The Wi Fi on my 1st Gen iTouch is terrible, also the PS3 is just plain slow.

The iPhone 3GS is pretty good though, I would have thought they would have used the same hardware.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's odd, because the reception on Rosie's 1st gen touch is pretty good. Perhaps it's a build revision abnormality?

I do know one thing for sure, and that I often have to turn my router off and on again, because it sometimes looses the signal. Also my O2 email addresses many times over, loose the password, yet I rarely have any problems with my MobileMe address Confused Confused

O2- they're SHITE! I want to switch to Vodaphone!!!

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was with vodaphone for years until they pissed my off.

My contract had come to an end and I wanted a new phone, with the same contract on their website it was £70 or something, they wanted to charge me £350 as the £70 was only for new customers, they would not sway from this even when I said I would leave them for another carrier.

I had been a vodaphone customer for 15 years and thats how they treat you!

Only after I cancelled did someone get in touch and apologise for what had happened.

TMobile are much nicer.
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I gather it is the case that one must buy one's apps directly from Apple.

This practice of allowing the hardware vendor to have absolute power over what apps one can or cannot run on the hardware one owns is very disturbing to me. Seems like the ultimate triumph of an annal retentive proprietary corporate culture and a big step in the wrong direction.

Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:

This practice of allowing the hardware vendor to have absolute power over what apps one can or cannot run on the hardware one owns is very disturbing to me. Seems like the ultimate triumph of an annal retentive proprietary corporate culture and a big step in the wrong direction.

Indeed. Big stuff is happening in many fields where the big players want to affect how we consume software and data. I'm not sure that Apple's is a winning concept though. Give Android (where apps live freely more like we're used to on PCs) a couple more years to grow mature and I think Apple and others will have to respond to that business model.

/Stefan

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
Seems like the ultimate triumph of an annal retentive proprietary corporate culture and a big step in the wrong direction.

Yes, it should be illegal .. if it isn't already (under EU laws).

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:

I disagree. Apple already have their fair share of hackers ready to bring the Apple empire crashing to its feet- just look at (now ex?) employees from Adobe!

I think this is more about protection of Apple and the 'less enlightened' owners of its products from attack (you know the type of person who would happily open an attachment without knowing why it had been sent to them).

Protection from trojans, viruses and the like, and for good reason too.

Would I be tempted to jailbreak an 3G iPad too? Moi?? Probably! Embarassed Laughing

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny that with all the crap over Microsoft bundling a browser with their operating systems that nothing is ever done about Apple.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, but was that because windows explorer was internet explorer and vice versa? If you don't like Safari, you can always bin it. I seem to be fucked when I bin IE. Shocked

It also seems that if you want to download a service pack from Microsoft, this window always appears insisting that one must be using Internet Explorer, and not any old browser (like Google's excellent "Chrome", which I really like instead of Firefox or Safari in Windows)?

Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Though I don't have any positive thoughts about Microsoft and the destructive effect that they've had on the progress of computing in general, I do think the lawsuit against bundling IE with the operating system was kind of strange. Especially since, to my knowledge, we haven't seen a similar thing again. What about bundling a file explorer - shouldn't everyone get to choose their own file explorer (I use FreeCommander on Windows)?

Of course, Windows stands out as usual with its crappy modularization, probably making it impossible to take out and/or replace parts like you do in Unix-based OSs without bringing the whole house of cards down.

Oops, getting into an OS rant again... Embarassed

/Stefan

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What you need is something like this:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm ... we never have hammer wars Shocked .. how come?
Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need a little question mark box? Wink Laughing

(the image is 404 in my browser)

/Stefan

Page 6 of 8 [185 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: