electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
It's... the iPad!
Page 4 of 8 [185 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:

o How much does an unlimited 3G plan cost?
o Is there an app for streaming to our radio server?
o Will a music programming language app such as Puredata run on it?

I may have to wait until the end of the year to get one, in which time the apps I want may become available. In the mean time I can save up for it (I hope)...

Les

1. (btw, I'd be more interested in just the WiFi version - don't really need the 3G but that's my personal preference)

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

2. There are several streaming radio apps for iPhone/iPod Touch.

3. RjDj is coded in PureData, I believe. It is still one of the best ever iPhone music apps.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks man! Wow, I'm going to start saving right now!

Les

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:

are there apps for streaming out rather than in i.e transmitting rather than just receiving, like edcast?

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

are there apps for streaming out rather than in i.e transmitting rather than just receiving, like edcast?

I have not tried it, but Ustream might be worth a look:
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/12/09/stream-audio-and-video-live-from-your-iphone-with-ustream-live-b/

I do not know if there are competing apps to Ustream.

Some old stuff on VIRB
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
modulator_esp wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

I have not tried it, but Ustream might be worth a look:
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/12/09/stream-audio-and-video-live-from-your-iphone-with-ustream-live-b/

I do not know if there are competing apps to Ustream.

interesting, but not exactly what Les wanted, but I guess this at least means there's the possibility of live streaming

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now, THIS is an interesting development on the touchy side of things!

"Argos is a drag-and-drop GUI builder built in openFrameworks, dealing specifically with creating musically-oriented interfaces for multi-touch interaction. Argos is currently in active development and is maintained by Dimitri Diakopoulos. Argos was initially a 2009 student project for the Google Summer of Code."

CDM entry: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/02/12/touch-argos-builds-interfaces-for-windows-mac-and-soon-iphone-ipad-beyond/

Can't wait to see what more the future brings! Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exclamation http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-39952.html
Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Exclamation http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-39952.html
Very Happy

Doh! I even looked at that post earlier today! Rolling Eyes

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:

interesting, but not exactly what Les wanted, but I guess this at least means there's the possibility of live streaming

Dunno, Les seemed pretty satisfied with what was posted so far.

Some old stuff on VIRB
pyrosonic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm,very interesting indeed,I might be tempted to not wait for the 2nd generation after all.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
modulator_esp wrote:

Dunno, Les seemed pretty satisfied with what was posted so far.

I see great potential for this little tablet computer. Most notably there are some music programming languages emerging for it. The ability to stay in touch with EM, receive mail, etc. at such a low cost with such portability is impressive to me.

Unfortunately I may have to wait for my next patent check to afford one, but it will be worth the wait.

Oh, regarding modulator_esp's comment, he's right that there is no radio streaming app yet but that's ok, if there is a market for such an app, it will emerge.

Les

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
if there is a market for such an app, it will emerge.

Les

...I'd change that to "if there is a market for such an app, and Apple doesn't feel threatened by it, it will emerge".

While you can technically call this a computer, it isn't more of a computer than an iPod. It's still a single-app-at-a-time simpleton box. Doesn't have to be a bad thing, but I think there may be disappointment lurking if you think you'll be getting a netbook tablet.

/Stefan

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with you Stefan, this thing is limited, but like any properly designed piece of gear, it is streamlined so well to do it's tasks optimally. That's why I feel it would take over some email and browsing that I do on my Mac mini, leaving the mini to do other stuff.

Also I see the device as a portable radio station and a music platform that I can program with stuff that I've created in music. I can play my albums and chat and probably voice chat, etc. So a lot of what I do is represented by the iPad.

When the iThingies first started hitting the market, I said "I'm waiting for the 8.5"x11" iThingie". Now it's here so I guess I've been waiting a while for this thing...

Les

robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Also I see the device as a portable radio station and a music platform that I can program with stuff that I've created in music. I can play my albums and chat and probably voice chat, etc. So a lot of what I do is represented by the iPad.

When the iThingies first started hitting the market, I said "I'm waiting for the 8.5"x11" iThingie". Now it's here so I guess I've been waiting a while for this thing...

Les

Portable radio station? How would that work?

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les, if you used Ustream without a camera, wouldn't it be effectively a radio streaming (from your iThing, not to your iThing) app?

Some old stuff on VIRB
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
Les, if you used Ustream without a camera, wouldn't it be effectively a radio streaming (from your iThing, not to your iThing) app?

Yes I believe so, however what I would find useful would be a program that works with the electro-music streaming server. Then I could do radio shows on location anywhere in town with Sunshine. I figure there will eventually be such an app.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
Inventor wrote:

Les

Portable radio station? How would that work?

I should have said portable streaming client...

Les

robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
I should have said portable streaming client...

Yeah, I understand that part, but would it replace edcast or nicecast, to use on the electro-muisc radio?

I had a look at Ustream, and it is not available... Apart from the free version which looks like a simple broadcast viewer to me.

Very interesting, but has anyone tried it and broadcast from their iphone or pod?

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would replace Nicecast on the Mac, including recording, mp3 playlist, and external audio input - plus mic of course.

Les

droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to admit I'm pretty tempted by this gadget. I wonder what I'd do with it... Here's the thing though, if there was a music sequencing app for it would you be able to load your own samples to it? Would there be some kind of softsynth support?

disclaimer: I don't know what's available for existing iStuff, so it might already be out there.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset wrote:
I don't know what's available for existing iStuff, so it might already be out there.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

You're in for a nice big surprise!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about lusting over Jasuto for starters?
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh my...
Hmmm...How can I make a few hundred buckeroos before this thing comes out......

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
pyrosonic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah,It'll run pretty much anything an Iphone or Ipod Touch will,so you can do lots.(you'll need to set up a wireless network to get your own samples into it,but you can do it)
I'm almost beginning to rethink my intentions to wait for the 2nd generation before buying it now. Confused

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset wrote:

disclaimer: I don't know what's available for existing iStuff, so it might already be out there.

Check out the iPhone - iPod Touch forum:
http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-176.html

Some old stuff on VIRB
Page 4 of 8 [185 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: