electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Rob Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Nanoloop for iPhone
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Nanoloop for iPhone
Subject description: Well, it was just a matter of time ;)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suppose it had to happen? Well done Oliver! (Shame about the price though Sad )

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/nanoloop/id322700286?mt=8

So, what next? Bhajis Loops?? Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nanoloop was great for its time (i still have the Gameboy Color and Nanoloop cartridge). But I wonder how it stands up to modern iPhone sequencers such as Beatmaker, Doppler Pad, bleep!Box, etc.

Some old stuff on VIRB
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
Nanoloop was great for its time (i still have the Gameboy Color and Nanoloop cartridge). But I wonder how it stands up to modern iPhone sequencers such as Beatmaker, Doppler Pad, bleep!Box, etc.

Incidentally, those were exactly my thoughts too. Confused

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Nanoloop for iPhone

v-un-v wrote:
(Shame about the price though Sad )

That's a very fair price. Darn cheap if you consider the salaries of today's
software engineers. Do you think all iPhone apps should be free?

There are so many good apps out there for a few bucks, noone should complain unless the quality of the software doesn't warrant the price.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Nanoloop for iPhone

cappy2112 wrote:
Do you think all iPhone apps should be free?

There are so many good apps out there for a few bucks, noone should complain unless the quality of the software doesn't warrant the price.

I never said that, did I?

Do you own an iPhone or iPod Touch? I suppose you do? But what is the point in this dig at me, when you know that there are better apps than this one, for a lot less.

The majority of application prices, especially for music-based iPhone apps is on the whole, very low. This, too in many ways, has lead to the success of the iPhone. AND, this very price model, has, I believe, also made many of the developers a little richer, because people who normally wouldn't buy, say Jasuto, have bought a copy of Jasuto. If you made Jasuto £30 to buy, do you think as many people would have bought it?

And what about the music CD/ LP industry? The same applies. Although musicians have lost out slightly, on the iTunes store allowing almost all LP's to be downloaded by individual track, although this hasn't necessarily helped some musicians, it has at least exposed a lot more people, IMO, to listening to music that they normally wouldn't have listened to.

Swings and roundabouts.

And yes, I did buy Nanoloop, but although it has a great interface, the sound engine really sucks- compared to that of say Sunvox, which is also cheaper (£2.99). Bleep!Box otoh, has just gone up to a massive £5.99!

I'd be quite happy to pay up to £15/20 for good iPad software.

cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanoloop for iPhone

v-un-v wrote:

Yes. -> (Shame about the price though Sad )

v-un-v wrote:

Do you own an iPhone or iPod Touch?

Yes, an ipod touch.

v-un-v wrote:

I suppose you do? But what is the point in this dig at me, when you know that there are better apps than this one, for a lot less.

Well, I don't know all the looping apps out there, but for the price it's
probably not bad. It's also very new and is likely to get better, and is still very cheap.

v-un-v wrote:

is on the whole, very low.

Exactly my point.
You're complaining about low priced software.
People have to eat.

v-un-v wrote:

£5.99

If you think this is a lot of money for software development, I would suggest learning how to write iPod apps and see how many days/weeks it takes to write something. You would have a lot less time to complain about low priced software.

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I somewhat perceive Nanoloop like v-un-v. The competitors of Nanoloop include SunVox and bleepBox, yet each of those has a lower price.

As he has hinted at, the challenge for Nanoloop is to prove to potential users that it has something special to offer over the competition that would justify its price.

Beatmaker for example is more expensive than most of its competition, but it also has an impressive feature set to justify its price.

Some old stuff on VIRB
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Nanoloop for iPhone

cappy2112 wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

Yes. -> (Shame about the price though Sad )

NO! Again you have misquoted me!!!

You said;

Quote:
Do you think all iPhone apps should be free?

You are making a wild assumption about me, which is wrong.

I never said >free< did I?

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Nanoloop for iPhone

cappy2112 wrote:

People have to eat.

If had a penny for every time I heard that cliche, I'd be one heck of a lot richer than I am now. Rolling Eyes

cappy2112 wrote:
If you think this is a lot of money for software development, I would suggest learning how to write iPod apps and see how many days/weeks it takes to write something. You would have a lot less time to complain about low priced software.

Do I see a massive chip sitting on your shoulder there?? I can't write code (very well), but I can write music and design parts for local factories. Distant Station took 6 years of development, and I worked on it between jobs- same actually for my second LP I released. Am I retiring on the big healthy publishing cheques, gained from many years of slaving over a 16 track? Am I f**k!! I even asked you once for a copy of some of your software, but for a Mac. You told me that you don't develop for Mac. Well there you go. You've lost out on another market there. Is that my fault or yours? Rolling Eyes

Muied Lumens
Stream Operator

Audio files: 251

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree that Tibet should be free. Razz
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

£5.49 seems pretty cheap to me!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't you start as well! Twisted Evil
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Code:

#include <iostream>

int main (int argc, char * const argv[])
{
  std::cout << "Cheapskate\n";
  return 0;
}

Thats a fiver you owe me Smile
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

Thats a fiver you owe me Smile

sigh...........

But on terms of iPhone application pricing, that is a "lot of money" compared to other iPod/phone apps in a similar market isn't it? I am not in anyway being a "cheapskate", but if you start charging £50+ for an iPhone app, less people will buy it, won't they? It's Apple's model for pricing. Look at the bloke who wrote the first i-fart app. He sold thousands in the first week, and made a mint. He charged something like 59p. If he had charged an average shareware price of £20, I think far less people would have bought it. I've got used to buying apps for +/-£3. I've also got Nanoloop for iPhone, and it is excellent- well worth the £5 (and a lot more than your piddly bit of code Shocked Laughing Laughing Wink )

FWIW, I found a £600 app on the Appstore the other day Shocked

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mobigage-ndi/id353244137?mt=8

I would be interested in how many he sells, especially as the developer also has a 'stripped down' free version;

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mobigage-free/id331838244?mt=8

A fiver eh? When the revolution comes............ Wink Laughing

Oh yes, did you walk to India in the end too??

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You hit the nail on the head there, you need to look at the number of people who might buy a piece of software and the effort of writing that software.

For instance your i-fart example would take a small amount of time and have a large number of numptys willing to pay a small amount of money for it.

If your maximum target audience is only say 1000 people and you have spent a year developing the software then obviously 59p a shot is not going to buy you many beers for your years work, and then you would have to walk to India, which I calculate would take about a year leaving no money for beer when you get there.
Muied Lumens
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Erm...

Nanoloop has had a massive price drop...

It is now £0.59 / $0.99

Special offer until the 12th of march.

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
Erm...

It is now £0.59 / $0.99

I'd try the updated Nanoloop at that price for sure. Thanks the heads up!

Some old stuff on VIRB
Alexander

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just finished my second loop! Very entertaining.. Smile
Muied Lumens
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
Erm...

It is now £0.59 / $0.99

Just realised that it is today! One day offer, so be quick!

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I missed the offer. Oh well.

At least the Palm Sound guy, as a totally new user to Nanoloop (so no fanboyish prejudices on his part), seems to like it. The price is now $6.99 US, which is a little more in line with competitors bleep!Box, Doppler Pad, etc.

Some old stuff on VIRB
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So how does this compare with the gameboy one? Is there anything else out there (for the iphone) that can make those kind of sounds? I always wanted a gameboy just for this prupose but never got round to getting one.
Alexander

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't transferred anything to my computer yet, but the sound is as lo-fa and crappy, as it would be on a gameboy!
There is an option to transfer the material to osx without degrading the signal further, as one would by recording a gameboy's headphone output.

Nice additional feature is not using the oscillators as sound source, but samples sampled by the iphone's internal mac. It has a roomy quality to it and gives wonderful results when used on a train! Samples can be cut to length and weird coughs, grunts and train noises work as very nice nanoloop soundmaterial. Smile

I recommend it for the fun element, but you could also save a bit more money and get civilization revolutions, but that's a whole different topic.

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hehe.. cheers for the review.

With regards to CIV, my mate is well addicted to it but I have enough games on my PS3 (COD MW2 in particular) without making it abosorb all of my travel time too! Although the early Final Fantasy's re-released on iphone have been calling out to me a little. Games do my head in as they take me away from making music but its hard not to love them too. Smile

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

'Tis once again for sale at $0.99 US. And this time, I bought it. Cool

Some old stuff on VIRB
perplexagon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have the iPhone version, but the Android version has been great fun. I was out of town recently and still able to produce several lovely tunes for a local beat-making competition. Have a listen.

Kibble Stew by jawashington

I'm sure we can all agree that this is fine music, similar what one might hear on one's local Top Hits station.

(I do not recommend the software's export to .OGG feature, as heard here -- but traditional audio out seems to produce satisfactory results.)
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: