electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Cacophonator Strip Board
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 7 of 7 [159 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Snaper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, almost forget. Yes, the starve pot is a 10K linear pot, should work. Don't know why not...maybe the IC has damaged during testing?
If I unplug the device, I can hear the starve effect during the "discharge" of the large cap, which is yes, a big 2200 uF elco...
Snaper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tried it with a 9V PSU, just in case, still, the starve is a bit odd.
I'll open in anyway, for the cap-mod, but, checked the Youtube vid posted here, and mine works just like that Very Happy
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That starve pot should definitely work. If it isn't working for you then either the pot is faulty, the big capacitor is faulty, or there is something shorting out that section somewhere. Most of the fun can be had with the starve pot. You mentioned it seems to work when you power the device off. This suggests the pot might be the issue.
Snaper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
That starve pot should definitely work. If it isn't working for you then either the pot is faulty, the big capacitor is faulty, or there is something shorting out that section somewhere. Most of the fun can be had with the starve pot. You mentioned it seems to work when you power the device off. This suggests the pot might be the issue.

Measured the pot, works, or...it should.
But, weirdly...if I measure the voltages :

- pot all the way up : ~9.2 Volt, OK
- pot all the way down : ~4.5 Volt, it should be around 0 right?
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I would imagine it will not be 0V. The (+) V coming into the board is travelling through that pot. At maximum resistance it is 10K. (It would only be 0V if the pot were wired differently and one of the outer legs went to GROUND). Is your pot 10K Linear taper (B)?

I do not have my Cacophonator handy right now. I do remember that the starve pot was the one which gave the most pleasure. I am not sure what else to suggest. I suspect the issue is to do with the top right of your board and the components associated with that area. The pot, the large capacitor and the placement of them on the board. Is the pot wired correctly and soldered to the correct area on the board? Is that capacitor good? Maybe change the cap for a new one? And that pot too.

Just check that large cap and how it is attached to the board. It goes between the top two rails. The lower rail is going to GROUND (if you follow the jumpers to the left of the chip they end up at the bottom of the board). Also, if you are using a polarised capacitor which is likely, is it attached the correct way around? The (+) symbol has supposed to go to the top rail.

ALSO... I wired a momentary OFF push button switch just before my power enters the board. By pushing and holding that button, you hear the capacitor slowly discharge. Well worth the cost of a cheap switch.
Snaper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
No, I would imagine it will not be 0V. The (+) V coming into the board is travelling through that pot. At maximum resistance it is 10K. (It would only be 0V if the pot were wired differently and one of the outer legs went to GROUND). Is your pot 10K Linear taper (B)?

I do not have my Cacophonator handy right now. I do remember that the starve pot was the one which gave the most pleasure. I am not sure what else to suggest. I suspect the issue is to do with the top right of your board and the components associated with that area. The pot, the large capacitor and the placement of them on the board. Is the pot wired correctly and soldered to the correct area on the board? Is that capacitor good? Maybe change the cap for a new one? And that pot too.

Just check that large cap and how it is attached to the board. It goes between the top two rails. The lower rail is going to GROUND (if you follow the jumpers to the left of the chip they end up at the bottom of the board). Also, if you are using a polarised capacitor which is likely, is it attached the correct way around? The (+) symbol has supposed to go to the top rail.

ALSO... I wired a momentary OFF push button switch just before my power enters the board. By pushing and holding that button, you hear the capacitor slowly discharge. Well worth the cost of a cheap switch.

I see.
I'll check it again as soon as I have time. Minus, right now it is amazing, again, thank you for it!
bamboombaps

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Familiar wrote:
From Befaco's page you can download the eagle file:

www.befaco.org/es/modulos-autonomos/

It's in spanish, sorry. Link says "Descargar archivos CAD"

Any questions, doubts, etc are welcome on mail: befacosynth@gmail.com

Keep the noise!

By the way.... We made a new version of our circuit. Still based in cacophonator but with slight changes: Frequency modulation and Mute for each oscillator. And looks GORGEROUS Rolling Eyes

does anyone have these files? they no longer seem to be on the befaco site
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think your best bet is to email them.

There's a lot of noise going on in the community with a handful taking "open source" and naively chosen licenses to mean open season to make money from other people's work. My bet is they took them offline in an effort to protect themselves. But that's just a guess. Email and ask if you can get the files seems to be the best course. (If I had them I'd share privately, but I don't).
bamboombaps

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have done, theyre on holidays so just pinging it out to all channels while the fancy is still with me Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 7 of 7 [159 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: