electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
S&H/Noise module - S&H not so functional anymore
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
haricots

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject:  S&H/Noise module - S&H not so functional anymore Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sometime last year I completed the S&H/Noise module (Bridechamber kit). It's been working great up until now. The S&H output seems really 'low' - as in I'm not getting much modulation out of it. It's outputting but very weakly. Everything else works fine (like the noise outputs, random). Any ideas where I should start looking? I can build kits but can't troubleshoot worth a damn. Confused
yusynth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it clocking normally ?
Try to replace U2, the TL074, one of its AOP may have died.

haricots

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Upon further inspection, I think the cv out is ok 'strength'-wise, but the range is in the low end of the spectrum which makes the modulation pretty rumbly. Does this make sense?
yusynth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dont understand your explainations can you develop ?
Can you describe the patch your are using and the potentiometer settings ?

haricots

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for my horrible explanation. What I have noticed is that if i invert the signal it is at least in the usable range. When the S&H output is used without inversion the range of the modulations is too low to be usable (like it is pitched very low). Even inverted it doesn't give that nice syncopated change that you would expect with a clocked S&H. Maybe the glide circuit is somehow messed up? It is so hard to tell let alone explain what is going on here.

Here is my patch > vco with standard cv in, outputted to a vca. s&h module with clock in from a pulse divider (/2). s&h output to the vco expo cv in. nothing but low register rumbles. If I invert the signal it is within a usable range but still sounds 'off' to my ears. Strange as it has worked flawlessly up until now.
yusynth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

haricots wrote:
Sorry for my horrible explanation. What I have noticed is that if i invert the signal it is at least in the usable range. When the S&H output is used without inversion the range of the modulations is too low to be usable (like it is pitched very low). Even inverted it doesn't give that nice syncopated change that you would expect with a clocked S&H. Maybe the glide circuit is somehow messed up? It is so hard to tell let alone explain what is going on here.

Here is my patch > vco with standard cv in, outputted to a vca. s&h module with clock in from a pulse divider (/2). s&h output to the vco expo cv in. nothing but low register rumbles. If I invert the signal it is within a usable range but still sounds 'off' to my ears. Strange as it has worked flawlessly up until now.

What do you input in the S&H input ?

haricots

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nothing in this case - it being hardwired to white noise. I've also tried manually patching in white and pink - same result.
Argitoth

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, I now have Haricot's damaged yusynth module, now it's my turn to attempt to figure out the problem! hehe.

So, looks like there's a problem with the module... now I'm not even sure if I simply didn't notice it before or it suddenly stopped working. All I know is that the "output" is supposed to be a S&H out, but what comes out of it sounds as if it's AC-coupled. I get random-ampitude spikes instead up/down DC behavior that S&H is known for.

Should I replace TL074 or might you have a better idea with my new description of the problem? Thanks Yves!
Argitoth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking at the PCB there are some cold solder joints. Also, I see flux all over the place as if the board was never washed. Isn't it supposed to be washed?

Audio demo of "output" going into a VCO FM and directly into audio path. http://www.elanhickler.com/misc/random-problem.flac

Is Flac OK?
yusynth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Argitoth

I am on leave now and stuck in an airport because of a strike.
I'll get back to to you tomorrow when I will be returned home.

Cheers

Argitoth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I fixed all the cold solder joints I could see, no improvement of behavior, but that's expected. Even a horrible soldering job is still good enough for a synth module to work.
yusynth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
I fixed all the cold solder joints I could see, no improvement of behavior, but that's expected. Even a horrible soldering job is still good enough for a synth module to work.

Heve you checked that the jumper (which makes it possible to select between linear or log mod) is present ?

Are the noise sources (white pink) working ? What is the output level (as sen with a scope, peak to peak ?).

From the audio file, either nothing is actually fed into the S&H either a component is dead, with the most probable suspect the BF245 JFET (preferably a BC245C), the S&H capacitor.

Have you an oscilloscope to check the signals : before the diode that drives the JFET grid, on the JFET grid, on the JFET source.

Argitoth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have a scope. I want to at least get a multimeter soon...

Everything works. The nosie level outputs are good, the internal clock is solid.
yusynth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Without measurements it's difficult to figure out what's happening.
The simple things to try out are :

replace the TL074 of the S&H, if it does not solve the problem...
    check that the diode D3 is healthy, (replace it if not)...
    change the JFET Q5 (BF245C)...
    change the C5 (100nF) capacitor
    you may also increase the value of C4 up to 4.7nF as well.

Argitoth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't find anything documents that tell me where C5 and other parts are. I just see values.
drapdap

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
I can't find anything documents that tell me where C5 and other parts are. I just see values.

http://yusynth.net/Modular/Commun/NOISE/NoiseSH-sch.jpg

So C5 is Drain of the Fet...

Odd, i built 3 of these, 1 not working with the same synthomps. no, pun intended. Smile so thanks to Yves for the leads, i thought it's a grounding issue...
Argitoth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Drapdad, are you saying you fixed it?

Sorry, I have a very hard time reading a schematic. Could you tell me what part the C5 capacitor and D3 is near?
yusynth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

C5 is the 100n cap located midway from the SLEW POT connector and the S&H IN connector

NoiseSH-LAYOUT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.69 KB
 Viewed:  12526 Time(s)

NoiseSH-LAYOUT.jpg

Argitoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way, is the lin/log on the board for slew type or is it something else?
yusynth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
By the way, is the lin/log on the board for slew type or is it something else?

Yes it concerns the slew type.

Argitoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah shoot, one question per post sorry...

Is it possible the access the slew limiter outside the S&H circuit by deriving some wires to sockets or something?
yusynth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You would have to cut a track
Argitoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, so there's an input and an output. So either there's two traces I need to cut to derive input and output from or maybe one or the other is derived from a wire already.

Could you show me!? Smile
Argitoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WHAT THE F...

Oh great, now my other Yusynth Random S&H half stopped working. The clock is dead. There's nothing coming out of "out."

So this is what happened. I plugged it in. I check outputs. "Oh good everythings working on my module that never had problems before." After a few minutes, the LED stops blinking "what the ****." I re-check outputs.

Now nothing. Noise still functions like it does on the other one.
yusynth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you plug something special in it ?
If the clock stopped working you may have to replace the TL071 ?

Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: