electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
A Couple of my Recent Projects
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: A Couple of my Recent Projects
Subject description: An APC and an Amp hell bent on world domination. Good times.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually finished this one up a few weeks ago, but never got around to posting it. It's a pretty straight forward Atari Punk Console with the usual output, speaker, power toggle, wave/pitch pots, and a photo resistor.

I nicknamed it "sklnbones":
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

The other project I just finished up this weekend. It's not actually done, as I reeeally wanted to add in a feedback loop but I ran out of room.

Forum peeps, meet Destructifier. It's a LM386 based amp with distortion, overdrive, noise filter, input/output, a speaker, and a whole lot of attitude. I meant to take some videos of it in action this weekend but spaced on that. So pics will have to do.

(Sorry for the blurry pics, I had to use my phone since I dropped my damn camera and it won't work now.)

FWIW, the boxes (which I totally <3) are from Really Useful Boxes based in the UK. They sell them here in the US at Staples and Office Depot. And they rock for projects of all sizes.

droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your stuff looks great! I'm also jealous of your labelmaker. Smile

Edit: Spelling mistakes.

Last edited by droffset on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love it too! I abuse it at times, but hey, I can do that cause I wanna. Very Happy

I had to hit all the local office places to find it. There are 340934820392 brands/makes and models of the digital label printers but the old emboss style ones are hard to find. The quality is pretty low, flimsy, but it works!

My next project is a delay unit. If all the parts will freaking arrive! I finally got my PT2399 chips. Still waiting for some of the other stuff due this week.

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha, you have a great sense of humor. I also like the use of organizer boxes for enclosures, I'll have to look into that.

Les

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a quick video showing the Destructifier in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef8p5-uaHFY

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alienmeatsack wrote:
Here's a quick video showing the Destructifier in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef8p5-uaHFY

ooh it sounds very good... If it wuold be mine I will put a micro near the speaker and connect it to an ouput... so I could use it with mixer for live performances... Wink

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, I plan on building another one soon and want to add a mic, feedback loop, and some other bits. Very Happy

I am kind of obsessed with the idea of cramming as much crap as I can into one of these things.

And what I think is funniest... its like a $.20 USD chip that makes it all go. Very Happy

telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anything that makes farting sounds is Grade A equipment as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for posting. got a schematic?
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's based off the Sonodrome distortion unit... schematic and such here:
http://www.sonodrome.co.uk/instructions/DISTinstructions.zip

I followed the schematic except... I did -not- jump pins 2 and 4, instead I jumped 1 and 4 with a small pot (10k) for overdrive of the gain. The squeal switch is a connection between the input negative and the middle stud of the volume pot... I think a pot here would also work nicely. I didn't try that as I ran out of room in the enclosure. I know that with the squeal on, you can adjust it (and get some sweet gating) with the overdrive control... I am sure there are probably lots of more things y0u can do with it too.

I am going to do another and plan it a little more in advance and add a feedback loop and the pot from the previously mentioned 2 points I think too.

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A few better quality pics of the amp... The others were from my iPhone.

I'm working on a new one that I hope to have a variable feedback loop, and another gain/overdrive pot or something yummy to really crush it up.

stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just finished this guy up a few weeks ago, this is a photo of my set up at my last recording jam.

mesynth2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.13 KB
 Viewed:  264 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

mesynth2.jpg

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stolenfat wrote:
i just finished this guy up a few weeks ago, this is a photo of my set up at my last recording jam.

I Love you Very Happy

telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got a recording of that amazing setup? I love the energy drink with it all. Get fired up to tear the place down!
stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am working on the jams we recorded from that session, they are purrdy chill. It will take me some time to get it to a point where i can let it loose upon the universe.

i also have some other really amazing recordings of that orange machine solo i recorded directly onto cassette tape then transferred over to my machine. Those recordings are amazing but last 45 min each (a whole side of a cassette)

i will do my best to finish em up, but cant promise anything anytime soon :/

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FWIW, I am working on a new distortion box for a friend...

It's identical for the most part to the one above. However, I've changed location of some of the bits, added a feedback loop with a pot to control it, and am adding a power and activity LED. THen it's going to get decorated beyond my usual labels. Something I've not done so far.

It was going great until I broke a pin off the 386. Oops. Normally I would have added leads off the pins, zip tied and covered the 386 so it couldnt do that but I didnt. I spent last night replacing the chip, then got to working on it. Just waiting for parts now so I can finish it up.

electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alienmeatsack: What amazes me most about those cool looking plastic containers is the clean look of the holes you made for the speaker, as the material looks like it's the sort of plastic that's sort of flexible, rubbery like. That stuff looks like it leaves fibre like edges after drilling or cutting that are not easily deburred.
Did you use a reamer?
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, actually, the containers themselves are very sturdy and the plastic is thick and quite rigid. Not too rigid, but just rigid enough... if that makes sense. It takes drilling very well. They are probably my fave containers ever at this point. I use them for everything from projects to organizing stuff, etc.

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/

With that said, I use a step bit. It eats thru metal tins and plastic without leaving a mess. If you go slowly, it will not melt the plastic and leaves a very clean hole. I was very pleased with this when I did my first project with these containers and the new step bit. (the step bit was $15 USD, but worth every penny!)

slugger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, those step bits are indeed handy. I got one from Harbor Freight for $7.
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: