electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Heterodyne Space Explorer
Page 2 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
adambee7

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

STOP man. Take a break. Go for a beer and come back to it later with a fresh head. I've done this more than once and i've gone as far as throwing the f@:@ker against the wall. Very Happy Very Happy
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok...panic over. New breadboard. Seems to be working. Need to do some research into the resistor before the volume pot theory... ladies before gents... shovel before shit... The original way seems to have the one volume pot to rule them all thing going on.

I really don't know why I feel compelled to solder crap together. More trouble than what it's worth most of the time. No good for your nerves.

Oh look, if I want to chew up valuable informative forum space with this sort of rant, I should go and do it in the chat room! I'll post some results when I have something valid to say....
-minus-

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ouch! just tried the white noise generator section.... Q2 got really hot! This cannot be right! I am using BC 547 transistors. The only noise I hear is the obscene language coming from my mouth after I touch the smoldering transistor Exclamation
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
ouch! just tried the white noise generator section.... Q2 got really hot! This cannot be right! I am using BC 547 transistors.

Are you sure you didn't put it in with the same orientation as Q1, which is supposed to be "backwards"?

-minus-

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought that myself.... Tried it again but got same result. Thanks for your comment. No doubt I'll get back to this soon.... Just gone off on a huge 'research' tangent in terms of methods of controlling the oscillations. Wink

I shall report findings soon!
Top Top

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has anyone successfully gotten the white noise section of this circuit to work?

I tried bread-boarding just that (for another project), but didn't get anything from it.

I tried it with 2N3904 and 2N2222 transistors and same result - nothing. I tried tearing it all out and starting over, and still nothing.
sndbyte

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I couldn't get the white noise to work. No sound at all.
adambee7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

try a different noise circuit? Very Happy Very Happy
Top Top

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adambee7 wrote:
try a different noise circuit? Very Happy Very Happy

Strangely enough, on the breadboard right now...

I have another noise generator circuit...

WHICH ALSO WON'T WORK!

Laughing
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another simple one, at the Experimentalist Anonymous's site:

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Oscillators%20LFOs%20and%20Signal%20Generators/Simple%20White%20Noise%20Generator%202.jpg
Top Top

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Rich. I will give it a shot!

Fourth time's a charm! (?)
sndbyte

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally put together the Heterodyne Space Explorer and boxed it up this weekend.

First I want to thank Beavis for posting this and his excellent tutorial. Also, thanks to electri-fire and Uncle Krunkus for their suggestion on how to deal with individual volume control (using a resistor and reversing the pot as electri-fire illustrated in his modified schematic).

I only made some minor changes to Beavis's schematic. First I left out the Sag pot. I then reversed the individual volume pots and added a 22k resistor before the wiper. This allows me to turn off individual oscillators without muting all of them. I also changed the values of the oscillator pots and used what I had on hand. For oscillator 1 & 2 I used a 1M pot with a 10k limiting resistor and a 104 capacitor. For oscillator 3 & 4 I used a 1M pot with a 10k limiting resistor and a 103 capacitor. I also added an Led to indicate when the power was on.

Here is a photo of it:

IMG_2508_1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.81 KB
 Viewed:  548 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_2508_1.JPG

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good on ya sndbyte!
Looks great.
Give us some samples?

sndbyte

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I originally started to breadboard this I wanted to modify it so that each oscillator could put out either a square or triangle wave.

I was able to get a triangle wave out of each 40106 inverter by adding a 100k resistor and 10 uf cap at the input of each inverter. (I got this idea from a schematic in Nicolas Collins Handmade Electronic Music, page 162). The triangle wave worked and I could select either the square or triangle output using a switch. I verified each on my oscilloscope.

But unfortunately when I attached the triangle wave output to the wiper of a volume pot, the triangle wave would stop working. I tried inserting a preamp using CD4049 between the triangle output and the volume pot but could never get it to work.

I eventually gave up and just stuck with the 4 square waves.

Anyhow, here is a photo with labels added (I just typed them over the picture in MS paint).

with labels.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.62 KB
 Viewed:  485 Time(s)

with labels.jpg

Gordon Charlton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sinister dexterity
megalodon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've built the space explorer with a WSG filter and I'm getting no sound out of it. Does this look right to you guys?

drone.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.5 KB
 Viewed:  2848 Time(s)

drone.png

-minus-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm just looking at the original diagram at the top of page one and comparing it to your diagram...

If you look at say pin 1 of your 40106, you have it going to a 1.5K resistor then to a 2.2uF capacitor going to GROUND. You are then taking that ground connection and running the green wire to your pot.

If you compare it to the original diagram you will see the difference. The 1.5K resistor goes from pin 1 to the pot. Pin one also goes through the capacitor and then to GROUND.

I would de-solder the resistor and put a link on your board where the cut is. Mount a 1.5K resistor upright at pin 1 and take the other leg to the green wire. Alternatively you could run the green pot wire to pin 1 and solder the 1.5K resistor to the pot leg and attach the green wire to the other leg. Same thing.

I think the reason you are getting no sound is that you are taking the pot wires from ground and not from pin 1, pin 3, pin 5 etc. You should be able to check each oscillator at pin 2, pin 4, pin 6, and pin 12 in your case.

I assume the other side of the battery is connected to ground?
megalodon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That got it working! Thanks a lot, this thing is mental, I'll post some soundclips when I've boxed it up.
Mikmo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you please post a "corrected" perf board layout.

Thanks

megalodon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here you go, it's a bit messy, but it works. PDF, PNG and DIY Layout Creator files, in case you want to poke around and improve it, and some other bits that helped me out.

Heterodyne.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Heterodyne.rar
 Filesize:  4.21 MB
 Downloaded:  2649 Time(s)

Mikmo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool.

Thanks

TheOutsider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Birth of a beast... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all... I've been reading this thread for a few weeks now. I stumbled across it during my search for info about building a HSE or a WSG, and let me give a giant thank you to the contributors to this thread because without finding this, I would not have been able to build my own monster of a cross-breed drone box.

Details:
Neon yellow/green clear acrylic faceplate
4 X OSC
2 X LFO
Resonant filter (taken from WSG)
Panic button (taken from Cacophonator)
Voltage sag
Switchable capacitors for each OSC (for a bit of variety with OSC range)
LEDs for each OSC (no idea how I figured this out, probably from Beavis)

Let's see if I can manage to attach some photos and a link to a video of the monster on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dVXLBbwK4Q

For some info about who the Outsider is..
http://soundcloud.com/the_outsider

IMG_1102.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.96 MB
 Viewed:  2128 Time(s)

IMG_1102.JPG

sndbyte

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice. The WSG filter is a great addition.
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice work! I like it a lot, good combination of circuits and nice enclosure.
noise
TheOutsider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: The latest creation... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello again.

I've built another monster. Hopefully I'll be able to make up my mind about an enclosure and get it finished completely before too long....

(I'll post pics when it's finally done)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNIbjbZS2g8
Page 2 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: