electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Building The Appendage. Share your Experiences
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 6 [147 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Sound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject:  Building The Appendage. Share your Experiences
Subject description: A place to ask questions or just show off
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello I open this thread for share the building process of our appendages.

So ill start with a question... Laughing

I would like to add a switch in the front panel for length ribbon selection. I mean instead the internal jumper JMP1.
In order to use different ribbons.
Looking at the schematics -page D-2- I wonder if VR12 trimmer resistor should be adjusted depending on the ribbon length. I mean if a ribbon of for example 50cm will need same VR12 adjustment than other ribbon, say 100cm.

Anyone?

Last edited by Sound on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The whole setup and calibration would need to be re-done for a different ribbon. AFAIK.
Funky40

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
The whole setup and calibration would need to be re-done for a different ribbon. AFAIK.

how much trimmers to set up ?
if not too much one could bring them to the frontpanel.

i also like to connect the appendige to ribbons from differenth lenght
( have not studied any docs yet )
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky

Andy is correct. There would be several trimmers that would need to be adjusted to account for the different ribbon lengths and thus resistance. It would not be a matter of just bringing out the trimmers to a front panel but also several "test points" to measure voltages. Although the Appendage has a vast amount of strong attributes, this is one of it's weaknesses, the lack of having a ribbon "length" selection that would NOT require any recalibration. So, it's the 500 mm ribbon, or a smaller one, exclusively.

Hmmm, maybe version 2.0 will have an autocalibrate function. Wink

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Funky, I would like to make this topic Sticky and rename it:

SUBJECT: "APPENDAGE BUILDS, Share your Experiences" ....
SUBJECT DESCRIPTION: "A place to ask questions or just show off"

OK to do that?

Bill
Sound

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Hey Funky, I would like to make this topic Sticky and rename it:

SUBJECT: "APPENDAGE BUILDS, Share your Experiences" ....
SUBJECT DESCRIPTION: "A place to ask questions or just show off"

OK to do that?

Bill

Done.
Sound

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:

Thanks Uncle.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Done.

Awesome !

Thanks
Bill
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nothing beats having a Sticky Appendage......thread.
mark_olson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
a Sticky Appendage......

Agreed. But I think it isn't actually yet. We need to flag down one of the mods.

Mark
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Agreed. But I think it isn't actually yet. We need to flag down one of the mods.

OK, I just made it stick ..... lol ... now we can truly say the Appendage is sticky !!
Laughing

Bill
Sound

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello , working around the idea attached, 1U rack.

How do you see it? Any opinion will be welcome.

About the INPUT MODE switch, I would like to know if it affects to both, the ribbon input and sample input, or only to the sample input?

101.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.17 KB
 Viewed:  1411 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

101.JPG

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
About the INPUT MODE switch, I would like to know if it affects to both, the ribbon input and sample input, or only to the sample input?

The "INPUT MODE" only applies to an INPUT "SAMPLE". The "UNIVERSAL" processes external inputs that change smoothly. The "STEPPED" input processing is good for, well, stepped inputs like those from external CV keyboards like my IKC or ones from Doepfer, MOOG, etc ...

This is reason why I designed the graphics on my panel to indicate the "INPUT MODE" function is exclusive to the "SAMPLE" inputs by drawing a line between them.

Hope this helps Sound Very Happy

The panel looks nice and compact, nice job so far man !

Bill

sample_mode.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.61 KB
 Viewed:  68418 Time(s)

sample_mode.JPG

Sound

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Bill this helps a lot, Ill modify a little the design accordingly.
oldmanfury

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: my panel design Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's what I ended up doing. Pretty happy with the results, nothing was too cramped. I did end up grouping knobs / switches / I/O separately, which has its pros and cons.

-gerald

appendage front panel.jpg
 Description:
I used FPD for layout - and hand drilled the panel myself, so the text and etchings are not in perfect locations.
 Filesize:  58.02 KB
 Viewed:  1251 Time(s)

appendage front panel.jpg

Appendage.fpd
 Description:
Front Panel Express panel

Download
 Filename:  Appendage.fpd
 Filesize:  1.88 KB
 Downloaded:  1125 Time(s)

Photon

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I noticed this morning that Jameco sells Softpots. The 500mm (item 2082708) is $21.95 and the 200mm (item 2082679) is $14.95.
slo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Appendage preliminary design, 17" panel to go in custom controller
Think I've got everything there, as you can see I did attempt to split it into the 3 sections. Made in Front Designer 3.0.

George

appendage19.JPG
 Description:
Appendage front panel
 Filesize:  36.14 KB
 Viewed:  1327 Time(s)

appendage19.JPG

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Appendage preliminary design, 17" panel to go in custom controller
Think I've got everything there, as you can see I did attempt to split it into the 3 sections. Made in Front Designer 3.0.

George

Nice so far George Very Happy The layout is very logical. I would like to make a suggestion. Since you had added multis to the TRIG and GATE signals, you might want to add some for all the CV outputs. You will definitely find that you will want to control more then one thing off a single output.

Nice work !
Bill
slo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Since you had added multis to the TRIG and GATE signals, you might want to add some for all the CV outputs.

Thanks for the input Bill, I'm a bit contricted in the design as I want to have all jacks at the top so as not to interfere with the ribbon below the panel, (cords sticking out) but I will think about it...........multis are good!

George
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Thanks for the input Bill, I'm a bit contricted in the design as I want to have all jacks at the top so as not to interfere with the ribbon below the panel, (cords sticking out) but I will think about it...........multis are good!

Sure George, your welcome. Another approach is to just make a few "Y" cables and use those as your multis thus no panel space required.

Have fun with it ... it's looking great. I am loving the keyboard/ribbon controller rig your building.

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I noticed this morning that Jameco sells Softpots. The 500mm (item 2082708) is $21.95 and the 200mm (item 2082679) is $14.95.

Dam Pete, your right. Just now looked at the Jameco catalog and there they are Wink Thanks for giving everyone a heads up Very Happy

Bill
slo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any of you fine folks know where I can get a 3.5mm isolated TRS jack from, I've searched Mouser hi and low and come up with nothing. I would like to stay with that size for the Appendage ribbon connection.

George
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try Mouser PN. 161-3402-E

Kobicon 3.5mm Stereo
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
161-3402-E

Hmm, be careful Dan. There is no indication on the data sheet that it is isolated. The ribbon TRS jack must be isolated. Just double check me on this guys Wink

I did find this which may fit the bill quite nicely:

https://www.3dhdsupply.com/ProductDetails.Asp?ProductCode=30-711

Bill
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roger that. The Kobicons do have a ground lug that is connected to the panel / frame. My bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 6 [147 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: