electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  mosc Live music with Twyndyllyngs - Bill Fox and Howard Moscovitz
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
editor crashes, etc.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: editor crashes, etc. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My G2 editor (v 1.24) keeps mucking up. (worked fine yesterday!) I can open patches from the file menu, but they don't appear in the synth (The slot A-D and Performance buttons don't appear in the editor, like the synth is not attatched to the computer). Opening a patch from windows boots the editor, and it crashes immediately. Turning on the synth and then booting the editor gives me a lovely blank screen where the patches should be. The only mutual response I can get between the editor and the G2 is unplugging the USB cable from the synth...the editor says "lost usb connectiont" and doesn't allow me to press ok...I have to manually terminate the program. Tried re-installing the editor, didn't help anything. Tried re-installing the synth OS, and couldn't get it to work (it recognizes the synth and then freezes). I've also tried various USB cables in various ports, to no avail.

Any of the Nord doctors out there have an idea to remedy this?
If anyone knows a particular brand/length of USB cable that has proved flawless so far, I'd also like to know.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was running into this exact same problem on my laptop (though my desktop worked fine). Since I had some other USB problems with my (previously owned) Emu XL-7 and a flash card reader, I decided the laptop's USB ports were bunk, so I bought a $25 PCMCIA card. Not only does the G2 work flawlessly now, even with longer cables (12ft/4m) that never worked before (even with my desktop), I also get USB2.0, which I didn't have.

The card I got is from Adaptec.
egw

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you re-install the usb driver?
I don't know if re-installing the editor does that.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
Did you re-install the usb driver?
I don't know if re-installing the editor does that.

No it doesn't. Remove the G2 driver in the control panel -> Add remove hardware. Then you can reinstall the USB driver.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 147
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been having this as well, but it just disappeared after a few days ...

Do you have an engine or do you have a key ?

In the past there have been connection problems due to corrupted patch storage in the synth. This should not be possible anymore but who can tell ...

For the keyboard version there are some 'secret' key combinations to boot 'clean', which might work maybe. I'd have to do a mail search to find info about those key combinations. For the engine I do not know of any such trick. So .. engine or keyboard ?

Jan.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the keys and experienced this. My very first sight of it was the first day I bought it...rather than install the 1.10 editor & drivers that it came with, the first thing I did was do the upgrade. And that's when it crashed! The detection had happened, but 1/2 way into the upload, it stopped. Power cycling the keyboard cleared this out, and subsequent "detection" failed (windows wouldn't recognize the device, so it couldn't connect it to a driver). Once I changed to shorter cables, it worked. Since then I've used my laptop, and had to get the PC card to make it work with my cables (worked once with a friend's very short 1.5' USB2 certified cable before I got the PC card). The two cables I have used came with other gear...1 is a 12' USB1 cable, the other a 3' USB2 certification cable.

Jan - if you find the clean-boot sequence, I think it'd be good to place that in the FAQ.
steampump

G2 patch files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Editor problem 1.24 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had same problems with release 1.24 and G2 Engine. But now it works fine.
A short usb cable is a good advice but not the full solution. First step check if it works with release 1.10 . If ok,it means drivers is installed correctly.
I tried to load the 1.24 after but it won't work right. .... It hang on demo Perf. and i had problems with connection lose . The update was no complete, or buggy. So go a step back . Use the 1.1 editore first before updating and replace Perf 1-1 with a very simple Perf . Create one with juste a simple sound patch. Leave the editor plug out the midi connections. Now midi data cannot interfere with the Engine. (other usb midi device have this problem). Start the 1.24 updater , if Engine not present wait a few second or switch off the Engine and switch on again. You will maybe have to start the updater twice before it is uploaded correctly. Now start the editor, it should work.
But if the Engine is not present, you will receive a "fatal error message " . Don't panic now, don't touch the screen simple switch the Engine off and on and close the error message after the patch is loaded from the Engine. This problem can also happen after the editor has worked fine. The reason seems to be a slow detection thru the ubs on the Engine or computer interface. If the Engine is swished on after the computer, he is maybe no detected. Just switch off and on as above... Hope it will help you to . Wink

zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry, i've been too busy to check this thread or really toy with the G2 the past few days. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. The drivers/os/editor reinstallations didn't seem to make a difference. It works fine now, don't know for certain why. I am wondering if it can be correlated to a MIDI - USB issue since it worked coincidentally after I did some re-wiring...I don't understand how no alterations in a functional MIDI - USB system could have caused the problem in the first place though. I don't think this was related to the corrupted patch issue either. overall, its been kind of uncomforting since this seems to occur on both engines and keyboards (mine is a keyboard). Hopefully there is a cause to eventually deduce and it does not actually occur randomly Shocked
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: