electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
VCS 3 / Synthi AKS inspired synth DIY
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 7 of 7 [159 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
clarke68

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mark_olson wrote:
http://sound.westhost.com/project34.htm

That's the ticket, thanks!

Seems like this could be built with this headphone amp and a CGS Mixer, you think? Much cheaper boards.
mark_olson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clarke68 wrote:

Seems like this could be built with this headphone amp and a CGS Mixer, you think? Much cheaper boards.

Possibly but I don't know. Since the ESP circuit appears to be pretty much a sure thing, and since it's such a small circuit, when I finally get around to it I intend to just build it on perfboard.

Mark
demian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Derek Revell is taking orders for EMS style pcb's now.

http://www.phutney.com/

Quote:
Welcome to all

Thanks for your visit, I hope you find this web site easy to get around, if you have any suggestions on how I might improve it, please use the Contact Box, which should point you in the right direction.

Good news!

Robin Wood has told me my VCS3 will be ready for delivery in the Summer of 2013, can't wait..

Latest news on the cloning front.

I'm taking orders with money up front, for Phutney PCB's, 1 set of three boards for £55 to a UK address, and £60 for the rest of the world, I need a minimum of 25 people, so I will start the list as from today, I will need your name and address and your payment to be added to the list.

Please email your details and payment via Paypal to derekrevell@aol.com

Once I have 25 people on the list and made payment, I will then get the boards manufactured. The payment is refundable, if I don't receive 25 subscribers by the end of 2012.

l have started a subscribers countdown on this page which will be updated, as an when people subscribe.

The boards will be manufactured by ExpressPCB in the USA, and be RoHS compliant, tin plated finished, dual layered boards, through hole plated, silk-screened with component labels.

SUBSCRIBERS = 17

I renamed Miscellaneous page to Technical Info, as people were having trouble locating the BOM's and PCB layout pages for the Phutney construction details.
demian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Btw, I am designing a case for a Synthi-A like synthesizer..

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

More at : http://www.oengaboenga.net/diy/the-pinthy-3/
camelneck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Peake wrote:
And God forbid anyone actually liking the sounds coming out of one of these pieces,

The new Voyager- much loved by many American, is vastly overrated, especially when the same amount of lolly, can also buy you a Clavia G2!!

The Clavia G2 may be a nice software synth, but how dare you compare it to a Minimoog Voyager.

I really love my Minimoog Voyager. I think the late, great Dr. Moog did an outstanding job of creating a 21st century Minimoog. All of the old features of the Model D (minus white noise) are present on the Voyager and they are still knob controllable just like they were on the Model D.

Plus the Minimoog Voyager has a lot of features that its older Model-D brother never had. They include a keyboard with velocity & aftertouch features, a VC-Mixer, 2 VC-ADSRs, 3 VC-Waveshapers, a VC-LFO, S&H, 2 programmable modulation busses, a programmable touch surface controller, & dual 2P/4P Moog Filters which can be configured in stereo LP mode or LP/HP (BP) mode.

There are also a ton of software features (such as over 700 presets, pot-mapping, & MIDI-Controllable parameters) that most people aren't aware of unless they are an experienced user. I bet a lot of people who may have even demo'ed a Voyager weren't aware that the Voyager had a VC-Mixer, VC-ADSRs, and a VC-LFO.

If you purchase the Moog VX351 CV Expander, you add 21 CV outputs to go with the 14 CV inputs that are starndard on the Voyager. This addition also makes the Minimoog Voyager a powerful semi-modular synth that can also be used as the core of a modular synth (or at the very least a powerful modular synth control center). The keyboard, mod wheel, pitch wheel, & touch surface controllers have their own CV outputs (the keyboard and TSC also have their own gate outputs), which allow each one of these devices to be used as independent controllers for other synths & synth modules.

Last but not least, those Minimoogs with the electric blue & orange solar backlit panels really look amazing when you are up on stage.

To each his own, but I'd rather have a Voyager in my studio than a half-dozen Nord G2's.
camelneck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2thick4uni wrote:
Thanks to the miracle of SDIY its now pretty easy to get very close to Synthi A and VCS3 (or possibly even better?) without treading on anyone's toes.....

1 of JH Living VCO module gives 3 great VCO's (add tri and sin wave shapers if needed, MFOS VCO boards can be adapted for this)
1 of (newly launched!) JH Trapezoid Env / VCA, gives envelope and VCA
1 of Yusynth Diode Filter gives genuine EMS style VCF
1 of 20x20 Ghielmetti patch pin matrix

Not a lot more needed really, just ring mod, spring reverb and some buffer circuitry for patch panel but there are DIY options for these too.

As soon as I have some spare time and cash I'll be building one........

I have also thought about using them to make a VCS3ish type instrument as several other people have already done. In fact, I already have 3 of these 4 critical devices. However, I lack the most critical one of them all: the patch pin matrix. (Actually, I've never seen them sold anywhere in the USA.)

1) Does anybody know how much a 16x16 or a 20x20 Ghielmetti patch pin matrix cost?

2) Where is the best place to buy one?
derekrevell

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Ghielmetti Matrix Panels Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

16 x 16 Matrix panels are non standard, thus they are custom built, the 20 x 20 is a standard panel, but Ghielmetti do several different type of Matrix and the nearest match to EMS Selectro panel is a Type 621 I think, from memory. It is fairly easy to convert a 20 x 20 to a 16 x 16 if you so wish.

The price is pretty high at around 526 Euros, without Pins and Shipping and Import duties.

derekrevell

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Synthi Zee and Phutney
Subject description: Just stuff
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought I might just add some stuff, I've managed to supply over 350 sets of boards to cloners and DIY guys, a fact I'm very happy with, the circuits I copied were never patented or protected in any way shape or form, and due to the lack of supply from you know who, I feel I needed to end this drought of need, I see plenty of legitimate companies who are doing the same thing, without the same level of negativity being shown, I will say that the 24dB/Oct filter that is used in the Deodar synth, is a direct copy of the "Moog" filter, although done with diodes instead of transistor, it still was itself a copy, a fact that EMS covered up by renaming their filter as a 18dB/Oct, but it never was.

I hope to go on, to produce a KS board, so that fellow cloners can reproduce a sequencer that EMS can't offer. Best regard Derek Revell

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Synthi Zee and Phutney
Subject description: Just stuff
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

derekrevell wrote:

I hope to go on, to produce a KS board

Would that include the touch controller? Maybe that's the only way to enter notes?

Keep up the great work Derek, very inspiring!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 7 of 7 [159 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: