electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Reaktor
MIDI in Reaktor question
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rhombus

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: MIDI in Reaktor question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could really use some help to understand how Reaktor Instruments make use of MIDI.

It appears that there's two ways for an Instrument to receive MIDI

1) From a specific External MIDI device/port and MIDI channel. That all seems to be completely settable at the instrument level.

2) From another Instrument (Internal MIDI). However, it appears to me that when receiving from another Instrument, MIDI channel is ignored and all notes are received.

I'm having difficulty with #2. I have a custom built Instrument that is retransmitting external midi to other Instruments but not all on the same channel. I call my custom instrument the MidiRouter. I have a 2-Osc in the Ensemble for testing also. I have the 2-Osc set up for Internal MIDI, receiving from MidiRouter. I have the 2-Osc set up in its properties to receive on MIDI Ch 7. My MidiRouter has 3 notes out of a possible 25 from my controller set up to retransmit on MIDI Ch 7. However, the 2-Osc is receiving all notes instead of the three that are on MIDI Ch 7. How do I fix this?
Chet

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Rhombus,

While I'm experienced in Reaktor, I've never experimented much with MID routing. Sorry. If you don't get answer here then perhaps you could try the NI forum.
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: MIDI in Reaktor question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

External MIDI is still received by all Reaktor instruments that are set to the appropriate channels.
So:

rhombus wrote:
I have the 2-Osc set up for Internal MIDI, receiving from MidiRouter.

That's good.

rhombus wrote:
I have the 2-Osc set up in its properties to receive on MIDI Ch 7.

Set it to "Off".

rhombus wrote:
My MidiRouter has 3 notes out of a possible 25 from my controller set up to retransmit on MIDI Ch 7.

You don't need that. Internal MIDI doesn't use channels, in this case you'd connect the MIDIRouter's "internal MIDI" to the 2-Osc instrument. Unless you need it elsewhere, you could set MIDIRouter's external MIDI to "Off" as well.
rhombus

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MIDI in Reaktor question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire wrote:
Internal MIDI doesn't use channels, in this case you'd connect the MIDIRouter's "internal MIDI" to the 2-Osc instrument. Unless you need it elsewhere, you could set MIDIRouter's external MIDI to "Off" as well.

Aha that's the key I was looking for. With Internal MIDI there are no channels. So the problem then is that if I'm routing MIDI to two or more Instruments then the idea breaks down entirely. I already figured out a non-ideal workaround in that case, I'm using LoopBe MIDI loopback adapter so that the other Instruments can listen on different channels.

The next problem I'm trying to solve is that instruments especially Memory Drum aren't behaving like they're polyphonic. I hit two drumpads near simultaneously and one sample in MD cuts off the other. I thought that would be as simple as increasing the voices on the MD but that seemed to make no difference. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.
electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: MIDI in Reaktor question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rhombus wrote:
Instruments especially Memory Drum aren't behaving like they're polyphonic. I hit two drumpads near simultaneously and one sample in MD cuts off the other.

Hrmm. I have Memory Drum2, version 2.07.00, date 25/04/06 and it is polyphonic.

Oh, I found it. To the right of the sample display and the Envelope A is the Out section. Here you can set "voice groups". All sounds in a voice group are played monophonically. The purpose of this is for example to set an open and closed hihat in the same group and have the open hat cut off by the closed hat sound. I think setting this option to "auto" will solve your problem.
electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chet wrote:
If you don't get answer here then perhaps you could try the NI forum.

Yes, the NI forum is an excellent resource. Also the user library is filled with loads of inspiring quality ensembles and instruments. You need to log in to have acces to these, but is totally worth getting a legal version if you can afford it.
Of course I'm not implying you respected readers don't have legal versions Wink .
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Reaktor
Jump to: