electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Sun Ra - LP recommendations?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Sun Ra - LP recommendations? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hadn't actually heard much of Sun Ra's music, but I just bought The Solar-Myth Approach Vol 1 & 2, and I'm really loving it. I want to try a few more albums, but there's so many I don't know where to start.
I'm not really into traditional jazz, I prefer the stuff that goes into darker, more experimental territory.

Is there anybody here into Sun Ra? Any suggestions as to what to get next?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember listening to Sun Ra back in the late 60s because a friend was really into it. I can't suggest any particular albums, but I can see why it interests you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I owned these 2 LPs by Sun Ra (a long time ago)
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
The Heliocentric Worlds Of Sun Ra, Vol. 1
the artcover I remember of The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra vol.1 is the following one:
The Heliocentric Worlds Of Sun Ra, Vol. 2
I also saw the Arkestra in Florence, Italy July 7th 1979 Shocked It was amazing Very Happy
http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~moudry/tape_b.htm wrote:
T79.7.7. Florence concert
Florence, Italy, 7/7/79. 120 min. [Webber]

unidentified title (Allen-oboe; perc)
Pleiades (Ra) (fl duet)
unidentified title (ensemble)
Tapestry from an Asteroid (Ra)
The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise (Ra)
Discipline 27-II (Ra)
Shadow World (Ra)
Springtime Again (Ra)
Big John's Special (H. Henderson)
Yeah Man! (Sissle, Henderson)
Love in Outer Space (Ra)
unidentified keyboard solo
Space Is the Place (Ra)
We Travel the Spaceways (Ra)
Over the Rainbow (Arlen, Harburg)
unidentified blues (Ra)
unidentified piano solo
Queer Notions (Hawkins)
Destination Unknown / Greetings from the 21st Century / Rocket Number Nine (Ra)

Arkestra: personnel similar to Moers, T79.6.4.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

outstanding story at http://www.espdisk.com/esp1014.html
Quote:
The first ESP album by the Sun Ra Arkestra was recorded at RLA Studios by Richard L. Alderson on April 20, 1965. It marked the beginning of a cordial association between B and the prolific genius, prophet, poet, cosmic voyager, teacher and spiritual guide. His influence on contemporary music is pervasive. He was a good friend to B and to ESP. B recalls that the phone rang at about 10:30 on a summer evening. It was RA, and he was at Kennedy International Airport with his Arkestra, and they needed transportation and funds to be able to return to New York City from their just completed tour to Egypt. B then owned a large old Chrysler station wagon. He drove to the airport, and collected as many people and instruments as the wagon could hold, and they drove back to Manhattan.

When they stopped at Bs apartment for refreshments, Ra regaled B with great glee with the story of how they had been stopped at the Egyptian border by a customs official who refused to believe that a mere mortal carried a U.S. Passport bearing the name of the Pharoaic deity. RA asked the official to call the curator of the National Museum of Antiquities. The curator rushed to the scene and had a spirited discussion with RA on the subject of Egyptology and hieroglyphics, which RA had studied. The curator certified RA as authentic, and RA was invited to perform with the Arkestra on Egyptian television, which he accepted.

When ESP staged a free concert on a huge pier in the East River, a site where the South Street Seaport now stands, RA agreed to perform with his Arkestra. The macrobiotic restaurant on 7th Street in the East Village went out of business that day, so they agreed to brig all of their remaining food to the pier, and, at modest cost, ESP was able to feed the entire Arkestra sumptuously that afternoon. Moored along the pier was a magnificent, full masted sailing ship, the official training ship of the Portuguese Navy. It had just arrived in port, and the cadets were disconsolate because they would not be allowed shore leave. They thronged the rail as the Arkestra set up and began to play. Soon, the Captain relented and allowed them to debark. Within minutes, hundreds of cadets were dancing joyously with local girls to the music of the Arkestra. When word got back to Lisbon, the local press and radio made much of the event, and ESP won special status with the people of Portugal, for what was considered to be a warm gesture toward their nation.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Michael Chocholak

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got Angels & Demons which is a jazz 'big' band kinda premise with charts, etc, but warped heavily around the edges in that tilting Sun Ra way.

Also have Space is the Place which I love. Lots of Sun on organ with more of a 'pop' approach including chickie backup singers 'n all ("Zoom, zoom, up in the air zoom"). Very Happy It's a fun one.

Got some 'live' stuff too which sounds like it might have been fun to be there, but the zany pirotechnic energy didn't translate well to the recording.

Basically I think you either like Sun or you don't. It tends to be too wierd for most folks. If you dig what you've got, which means you're probably fairly open minded, you probably can't go too wrong. Cool

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a great little story, and the Heliocentric Worlds artwork looks fantastic, it certainly whet my appetite. I'm going to check out some of the samples at espdisk.com.

I'll think I'll have to check out Space is the Place aswell. I'm not just into dark/experimental, I'm always up for some "zoom, zoom, up in the air zoom" music. bounce

I'm still a bit overwhelmed by the huge Ra discography, but I'll give some of these titles a listen and see what tickles my fancy.
jbenzola

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha...I have not seen this post before!!! I have been a HUGE Sun Ra fan for nearly 30 years and I have seen him perform many times in the 1970's and 1980's. Indeed, his discography is tremendous and many of his releases are not very good because they were taped rehersals that many of the musicians never thought would be released for public consumption! IMHO, my favorite (and I think best) albums are:

Heliocentric Worlds I & II
Angels and Demons at Play
The Magic City
Atlantis
Live at Montreux
My Brother the Wind (This contains some VERY early solo mini moog pieces)
Mayan Temples
Monorail and Satellites/St. Louis Blues/Solo Piano-These 3 releases are for solo piano and are fantastic! They really reveal the methods to his musical madness
Visions (A Duet for vibist Walt Dickerson)
Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy/Art Forms of Dimensions Tomorrow-Probably his most out and abstract and inparts messy
Sun Songs
The Singels Collection-This is an amazing collection of pieces that were and/0r going to be released as singles by the Arkestra and artist that Sun Ra was producing including an a cappella vocal group singing Doo Wop!!!

In 1996, I started a group of pieces called Portraits of the Dead which is a series of pieces dedicated to my musical/philosophical influences. One of the pieces I did was for Sun Ra which is a duet for piano and Nord Lead!

Happy listening!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the recommendations jbenzola.
I recently bought "Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy/Art Forms of Dimensions Tomorrow" and "Space is the Place", and they're both great albums. I'll definitely by getting a few more albums in the next few weeks. Sun Ra is fast becoming a major influence on my own music.
The "Space is the Place" film has just come out on dvd aswell, so I'm looking forward to seeing that pretty soon.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: