electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Buying used Andromeda
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jeffgibbstc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Buying used Andromeda
Subject description: what would you recommend?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the chance to purchase a used Andromeda in another state. I might travel there to look at it. Would any of you buy one that you had only a little while to test? Sounds like a dream synth, but I do read of a lot of problems. What would you check for if you have never touched one before? I currently own a moog voyager and a number of digital synths like the Ion.
jeffgibbstc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe I should introduce myself, I am a film composer who has mostly used workstations like the Oasys and Motif, digital synths, VST's etc. for theatrically released feature doc films. I am thinking of moving toward analogue like the Andromeda to compliment my nice library of virtual instruments. This electro-music board is a nice discovery and I look forward to great discussions and music.
Jeff Gibbs
Traverse City, MI
Symatic Star

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: purchase advise Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi jeffgibbstc,
Nice to meet you, the Andromeda is a fantastic analogue synth, like any second hand purchase I would advise an intuitive and logical approach to your trust of the seller, asking them if they have had any issue/problems, what its history is , if its stayed in one place in a studio or been gigging......as many questions as you can come up with, maybe other forum members can add here...

Like most other gear, I think it makes sense you'll read online different peoples stories of their problems as online communities are where users will turn asking in a forum etc for a solution/ help from other owners. It's also likely a large percentage of the positive experiences don't get shared online for most equipment/instruments.

There seems to be a huge number of positive stories about the A6 online ( from my limited experience in forums ) also including in this forum.( I bought mine from USA and I live in Aus - "it's great" transformer )

"You" will be able to try every function you can think of, you can't go wrong for the seller if you don't press the red button"save" try everything else.

After powering on you would first go to the autotune button on the left hand side of the panel , press it 2x to initiate the autotune and check everything tunes straight away should look something like this
T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T ( 2 rows of 16 Ts for tune )
The manual says to tune it when powering on then again 15 mins later after its warmed up.( different to digital here hey! but cool )

Yes this is a great little forum as is the electro-music radio and chat room, look forward to more discussions and music also.

welcome

CQ Very Happy
AlexZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't forget to test each of the voice chips.
To do this select a program.
Click the "Global" button.
Hit the "VOXMON" softbutton.
Using the "1/9" - "8/16" buttons and the "shift" button, turn all the voices off (you will see "OFF" on the screen under the voice number).
Now turn on a single voice and play a note.
Turn it off and turn the next one on.
Do this for every voice.
As you've probably guessed, the voices should all sound practically the same.
If they don't, then the Andromeda you're testing has a defective voice chip.
Before doing this test, give the Andromeda about 5 minutes to warm-up and do an autotune.
The Andromeda also has a self-test. To launch, it hold softbutton 2 while turning on the synth.
Also, I would recommend installing the latest OS after buying the A6.
jeffgibbstc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the input, I got a good deal on one and drove home my new (to me) Andromeda. I drove ten hours to get it and it looks and sounds like its in great shape. Sort of like an adoption, he hate to let it go, and since I had no case for it carefully wrapped it in a couple of blankets for the ride home.
Now that it appears they won't be making any more it feels like a responsibility. I recently got 1956 B3 and it reminds you that sometimes they just stop making the good stuff. Looking forward to learning my way around the Andromeda.
SynthasaurusRex

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congratulations!! The Andromeda is a lot of fun.

- Stephen
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: