electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Variable clock divider any ideas?
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Variable clock divider any ideas? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i would like to have a clockdivider with modulation input..
any ides how to patch that?
3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

treid it with tims up down counter. not sur e yet if it does the wright thing..

i try to simulate this module...
http://www.schneidersbuero.de/forums.html?sect=products&lang=de&product=4ms%20pedals%20-%20Rotating%20Clock%20Divider%20&hersteller=Modular%203%20HE&kategorie=kategorie&currency=EURO_BRUTTO

anybody owns it and the G2 and might check if its similar?..
however.. the good ol pattern generator seems to be a cheaper choice for similar things...

Rotate Clock 1.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Rotate Clock 1.pch2
 Filesize:  4.06 KB
 Downloaded:  1804 Time(s)

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a DIY clock divider, where the division count can be set (or modulated) by a control signal. It's a full replica of the Clavia clock divider module, meaning that the behaviour of the clock and reset inputs is 1:1.

The only caveat is divider settings lower than 1. This could be prevented with extra circuitry.

The patch can be simplified and thus economised a bit if you do not need the exact behaviour like the ClkDiv module (eg. the barred reset input).

DIYClockDivideTK.pch2
 Description:
DIY replica of the ClkDiv module

Download
 Filename:  DIYClockDivideTK.pch2
 Filesize:  1.56 KB
 Downloaded:  1782 Time(s)

3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Smile you are realy the master patcher on the G2 Wink

i think i need your help with another issue aswell.. but i wil start another thread for that..i would like to have a pitch transposer based on a ram table so one can reverse the readout while running.. sounds impossible on the G2.. but ..looking at your patches its probably not.. have you done such a thing allready by chance?

greets from a finaly sunny berlin,
sven
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
i would like to have a pitch transposer based on a ram table so one can reverse the readout while running..

Do you mean simply a sequencer which can run backwards?
3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no.. a diy pitch transposer with variabel readout.. or a granualr sampler if you want.. pretty much the same.... but defenetly not easy.. the better ones on the market like the old publison even looks for trasients ad trys to let them pass.. i just started to experment with the pitch transposer module but it seems to be very limited sound wise.. just theese 3 settings for the delay lenght, this should be variable and modulateable aswell
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
no.. a diy pitch transposer with variabel readout.. or a granualr sampler if you want.. pretty much the same.... but defenetly not easy.. the better ones on the market like the old publison even looks for trasients ad trys to let them pass.. i just started to experment with the pitch transposer module but it seems to be very limited sound wise.. just theese 3 settings for the delay lenght, this should be variable and modulateable aswell

Ah, you mean a pitch shifter. Smile

A DIY pitch shifter with variable delay length is possible. I can do it. But what do you mean by "variable readout"?
3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looking at your revious patches i am sure that you have the necessarry technology allready.. Smile so when one can do it its probably you..

variable read out.. i would like to have a very veratile readout... the szise of the grain should be variable..not like now 3 fixed szises.

the read outrate that defines the amount of pitch shifting should be
modulatble to add some jittering vibrato...

the read out direction should have different selctable directions.. forward...backwards..

maybe alternating.. but that is maybe not necessary

in adition to that core grain cell some analoge modeling..saturated feed back aso. is needed to get it at least a bit sounding like the old style pitch shifters... but thats a point where i might chime in... actually i had the idea to try to modefy one of your patches.. but i dnt really understand how they work.. Smile

i like theese science fiction sounds that are nice and fat shimmering but not realy a shift pitched signal as we know it today..

the internal pichshifter is not too far from that direction because its a rather primitiv one.. but dont think that it works with a variable readout rate and the mixture of the lofi by design with the hi fi 96 k processing dont sounds too nice.. i hope from a diy modue that it really can create some intersting glitched sounds..

at least it would be nice to have such fx available on the nord..

at least no sample storing is issed with this kind of realtime sample manipulations..
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What you are looking for is a delay line which is read out by a grain engine. This is not 100% the same as the classic pitch shifter design. With the pitch shifter design, the crossfading speed (which, OK, can be thought of as a sort of grain frequency) changes with the amount of shift. So, if you would want to add pitch jitter functionality, the crossfading speed would have to jitter accordingly. Same with delay line size, which will also affect the crossfading speed reciprocally.

With the granular approach, the grain frequency (=size, reciprocally) will be constant, even when pitch shifting amount is zero. So the artefacts will be present regardless of pitch shifting amount. This design would basically be my polyphonic granular synth reduced to 2 grains and minus the "pseudo-sampling". (Or you can have 4 grains after all if you want). Reverse grain playback isn't possible, as it would require a complete second bank of expo-tracking readout pointer calculations, which would go over 100% DSP very fast.

But is this what you are looking for?
3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

maybe..sounds interesting.. i ve to hear it to see ..but the old style pitchshifters are defently not sounding neutral on zero shift but why isnt it possible to have forward and backward read out?..
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
maybe..sounds interesting.. i ve to hear it to see ..but the old style pitchshifters are defently not sounding neutral on zero shift but why isnt it possible to have forward and backward read out?..

Technically it is possible (obviously). But on the G2 it wouldn't fit on a DSP anymore, as calculation of precise expo-tracking readouts is the hardest part of this kind of patch.
3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok.. ..you say you have done his allready as part of a polyphonic grnular synth? do you have a simpler version of this patch one might be able to access?
Akum420

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
i would like to have a clockdivider with modulation input..
any ides how to patch that?

You can assign a #cc to the divider parameter on the Parameter Overview page and use a MIDI control send module and set the same #cc. This module have a modulation input.
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
ok.. ..you say you have done his allready as part of a polyphonic grnular synth?

Yes. It's the exact same principle. However, it has to be modified in order to work with a "normal" delay line (as opposed to the looped "pseudo sample memory" delay).
Quote:
do you have a simpler version of this patch one might be able to access?

No. Smile It has to be taken apart quite a bit because some things work quite differently when implemented this way. Actually I had the idea to do this for quite a while. I'll see if I can get a shot at it.
3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh please..go along.. have the first shot.. i do it later than Very Happy

good luck..
Moody33

G2 patch files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A DIY clock divider as wrote in the manual.

Cycle :2
Memory: 16,4.

clockdividerG2.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  clockdividerG2.pch2
 Filesize:  885 Bytes
 Downloaded:  1531 Time(s)

gb

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Rotating Clock Divider Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use my hardware rotatingclockdivider from "4ms pedals" constantly and love it!

here's my emulation patched on the g2-demo.
Should exactly do, what the original does...try it out.

you can use it either with a constant value or with a random/lfo/seq.line to get some polyrhythmical stuff. (switch 1/2)

cheers

gb
zurich

Rotating_Clockdivider.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Rotating_Clockdivider.pch2
 Filesize:  2.73 KB
 Downloaded:  3678 Time(s)

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rotating Clock Divider Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gb wrote:
I use my hardware rotatingclockdivider from "4ms pedals" constantly and love it!

here's my emulation patched on the g2-demo.
Should exactly do, what the original does...try it out.

you can use it either with a constant value or with a random/lfo/seq.line to get some polyrhythmical stuff. (switch 1/2)

cheers

gb
zurich

Nice. Smile Like it.

gb

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotating Clock Divider Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice. Smile Like it.

Thanks!
Maybeeeee i'll have to buy a real g2...Wink

Cheers
Gb
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: