electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
the absolute beginners thread
Page 5 of 6 [145 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Top Top

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:
a new sample, just some edited segments of a larger session pasted together. It's mainly a 4077 XNOR driven by 4 oscillators to make the snare-ish sounds and a melodygen later on in the tune. As always there is a lot more going on then I can possibly explain. Oh and yes, full springreverb on this one.

Is that a home made spring reverb? Sounds like a thick spring!

tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

really wish it was, but just a preset in ableton live Sad. It sounds great to my ears though and if it works, why not?
noise
Top Top

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:
really wish it was, but just a preset in ableton live Sad. It sounds great to my ears though and if it works, why not?

It is sort of funny that they call it spring reverb because it sounds a lot like a spring reverb built with a slinky or other heavy spring. Not typical guitar amp style spring reverb.

Sounds good anyway!

tjookum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah, I was wondering if it was close to a slinky reverb. I was planning on building one, but with my backlist growing every day and this one working very well I just might keep it like this. Im very much a "use what I have" kind of guy.
noise
tjookum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2 more adventures on the lunetta, now starring a 4052.

17-09-2010 shifty sessions4, TeKno Logic by Tropical Benny
A Tekno-ish track using just a 4052, a divider, VCO and 4 oscillators. little bit of spring reverb.

17-09-2010 Shifty Sessions 3, Lemon Juice by Tropical Benny
A Looong noise track, just messing with high freq. oscillators and messing with clocks.

noise
stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum, i've read you like the sound of your 555 vcos... and so do i! could you post your 555 vco schematic?

I tried to build one up from the forrest mimm's book and got very little results with the lunetta voltages- the output sounded nearly exactly the same as the input.

thanks in advanced! and...awesome tracks!

tjookum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi stolenfat,

It's actually 4x 556 oscillators/clocks Im very pleased about because they have a huge range and you can get into those ultra high freq. wich work very well with cmos.
My VCO is a 4046 on my breadboard, from this schematic:http://deathlehem.com/php/download/file.php?id=176&t=1

never build a 555 VCO, the single 4046 on my breadboard has worked so far.

noise
stolenfat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'll peep that schematic as soon as i as my account over there gets authorized Razz
Ajax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm putting together a 555 VCO at the moment, and it's not too bad. It sounds... just like a square wave should hahaha.
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HELLO electro-music People/Lunetta-ers! I've been lurking on these forums several months, learning lots of things... I've built a couple of boxes based on 555's and 4093's, and then fell in love with the Lunetta style.

So now I am starting to mess around with more of the 40XX's, familiarizing myself with their workings whilst I decide if I want to go with a perfboard or panel design, and finding the right parts for it.

This thread was for tjookum's beginnings, but he seems to be quite the master now, so hopefully it's ok to post my beginnings here... (I didn't feel this was substantial enough for the "Let's see your Lunetta" thread.)

This is just a breadboarded "melody generator" with the 4017 & 4051 and driven by a 40106. Probably the trick of clocking the 4017's reset pin has been done, but I really like what it does.

If my attempt at embedding a video doesn't work, here's the URL : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opx1ULPxcAI

EDIT: NOTE: I made a mistake in the video's text! At around 1m02s, it's actually the Disable pin (13), not the Reset pin I meant.

RingMad-Lunetta-ThunderBleep-v0.1sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  195.39 KB
 Viewed:  2295 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

RingMad-Lunetta-ThunderBleep-v0.1sm.jpg

Last edited by RingMad on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wonderful stuff! Appreciate you posting - you are getting some great sounds. See how much better you feel after sharing it with us?
Smile

Keep on!
bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
tjookum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
This thread was for tjookum's beginnings, but he seems to be quite the master now, so hopefully it's ok to post my beginnings here... (I didn't feel this was substantial enough for the "Let's see your Lunetta" thread.)

Ofcourse it is! I really love seeing what people come up with and those first few bleeps are what got us all started in the first place.

Really nice work on the breadboard, that is a great setup you have there with the pots and leds. Try out all kinds of different IC's and schematics, see what you like best and then decide how you are going to tackle your build.

And thanks for the video, it's always a lot clearer to have visuals with the sound. And I've never seen someone put led's on all the 4017 outputs, that actually made it a lot clearer for me how it functions, thanks Smile .

noise
RingMad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks all.

@ tjookum : LEDs on the 4017 just seemed logical to me, since the first circuit I learned with it is the classic LED chaser. Plus, to me, the lunettas are all about the blinking lights, so I just kept them in. I'm also looking for an excuse to put in a VU or 2 that I have lying around Smile

As for my pot setup... i got tired of having them all over the place, so I quickly built that thing out of a side of a clementine box. But it's trouble in other ways... a mess of alligator clips that one has to be careful with so they don't touch and short. I'm still looking for a clean solution for breadboarding use.

Last night I fried a 40106. Maybe it was my fault... it's pretty dry in my house, but I don't know... I've had a few problems with these... then I started using 4093's instead. And then 555's. But the 4093's are easier to gate on & off, which might be handy. Hmmm, OK, back to the work table...!

- James.
tjookum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Plus, to me, the lunettas are all about the blinking lights, so I just kept them in.

I agree, leds are great when working with logic signals.

Quote:
As for my pot setup... i got tired of having them all over the place, so I quickly built that thing out of a side of a clementine box. But it's trouble in other ways... a mess of alligator clips that one has to be careful with so they don't touch and short. I'm still looking for a clean solution for breadboarding use.

You're not the only one there, I've tried all kinds of trimpots and pcb pots. The models with 3 pins on one side tend to slip out really easily so now I use these:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
They are Piher pt15 trimmer potentiometers with seperate plastic shaft. Cheap and they fit great on a breadboard.

Quote:
Last night I fried a 40106. Maybe it was my fault... it's pretty dry in my house, but I don't know... I've had a few problems with these... then I started using 4093's instead. And then 555's. But the 4093's are easier to gate on & off, which might be handy. Hmmm, OK, back to the work table...!

A jolt of static electricity can fry an IC, try not to work on carpet or use a electrostatic wristband.
Good idea to start with the basic oscillators. Try making some drones, they will keep you busy for hours Rolling Eyes

noise
RingMad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:

They are Piher pt15 trimmer potentiometers with seperate plastic shaft. Cheap and they fit great on a breadboard.

Interesting. Except that I tend to use a lot of pots and I don't have a lot of breadboard space. I was thinking of some kind of ribbon cable, but I can't find the right stuff in local stores.

ALSO: I apologize... there's an error in my video!... I mention about switching on a clock for the Reset pin, but it was actually the Disable pin I meant.

And I spent all evening trying to get a 4029 to count properly. I can't get it to work. Arrgh, no new sounds tonight....
RingMad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Running out of breadboard space... I have 2 new additions to the board, learning a bit about more chips...

1. 4029 up/down counter driving a 4046 PLL VCO, with possible resetting via 4040 outputs. I had a lot of trouble getting the 4029 to work. Was following drOffset's amazing sequencer diagrams, not sure what happened, but finally got it going, then almost burned it!

2. an arpeggiator thing, from the "fun with sea moss" site. 4 oscillators on a 40106 into a 4051 and a resistor ladder.

Kindof noisy things, not sure they are "keepers", but anyway, here's a little demo...

RingMad-Lunetta-explorations2sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.05 KB
 Viewed:  2150 Time(s)

RingMad-Lunetta-explorations2sm.jpg

rich decibels

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey tjookum those trim pots look ideal - do you have a part number for the plastic shaft?
tjookum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Running out of breadboard space... I have 2 new additions to the board, learning a bit about more chips...

Great! thanks for posting these videos, I think you're doing great. It will really pay off in the long run to do a lot of testing on the breadboard so you don't end up with some useless modules on your shiny new machine.

And good sounds so far. My suggestion would be to start messing with NAND, EXOR and NEXOR gates, they will make a huge difference to the sound. And although it is basically cheating a software reverb or delay can bring some nice variation to the squarewave sound.

@rich decibels:
Here is the official datasheet of the pt-15 trimpot line from piher.
http://www.piher-nacesa.com/pdf/14-PT15v03.pdf
And mouser is the only international online store I could find wich stocks them, I normally get them from a dutch supplier.
http://nl.mouser.com/Piher/Electromechanical/Knobs-Dials/_/N-5g22Z1z13vv8/

Here is a picture of how I used them in a 4069 dual lfo module:
http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/hpim1715_120.jpg

noise
RingMad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:
My suggestion would be to start messing with NAND, EXOR and NEXOR gates, they will make a huge difference to the sound.

Yeah, exploring those and the Mickey Mouse Logic stuff are on my (long, and getting longer!) list of things to try. I haven't had a lot of time, but definitely I want to try the 4011 "ring mod". And a 4070 on something....

But I also need to fix the mixer section, because when I turn one sound down all the way, it's still quite audible in the mix.

Also noticed something strange... an oscillator on a 40106 affecting the sound of of my arpeggiator section, even when they are not connected (except by a common ground, I guess).

Anyway, I'll search the forum and recheck my circuits before asking explicitly for help on those things....
RingMad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Continuing explorations... the mixer section and the 4015, 4027, 4029 have come and gone to make room on the breadboard for other things... here are 2 recent videos involving 2 different random generators...

One is the 4006/4077 circuit that kept freezing and which is under a bit of discussion in another thread...

The other is one I got from deathlehem/soundoflogic... an interesting XOR chain... at high clock frequencies, one gets shifting whitish noise with some tones buried therein, and at lower frequencies, more like random patterns...

It seems my list of chips to get is never empty... and I don't have enough time to explore what I have already. While trying out things, I get more ideas but then I need more chips! Fascinating place this Planet CMOS....
RingMad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two recent videos. I'm still on the breadboards. However, in these videos, we don't actually see them. I modified an old CRT TV to respond to audio signals (I call it a fauxscilloscope, because it does not accurately display waveforms... e.g. a square wave isn't. but anyway, it looks cool to me).

For approx the first minute of each video, I don't touch anything, then after, I start tweaking some clock speeds.

Video 1:
WHEREIN: 4006+4077 random 4-bit generator feeds some inputs of an R/2R DAC which feeds a 555-based VCO, which is further mangled by a quad clocked 4066 which switches different caps in & out.

Video 2:
WHEREIN: Same as above, but the DAC simultaneously feeds a triple-voice 40106-based VCO, so we hear both VCOs going.

Here is a photo of the current mess/state:

RingMad-breadboards-20110320ssm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.29 KB
 Viewed:  2165 Time(s)

RingMad-breadboards-20110320ssm.jpg

Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most excellent Very Happy ! I like the visuals too. Very lo fi-sci fi Cool .
attdestroyers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah hi...

I'm new to this forum and haven't posted anything cool yet, but I just wanted to let everyone here know that I'm really into this Lunetta thing right now. This site has been more than good help... it's been inspirational.

Tjookum - Your patchable sequencer is just what I've been looking for. Awesome!

I'll be sure to post some pictures of my Lunetta once I get some of the modules in the box. Thanks again everyone.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome attdestroyers
schmelfhelp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's a couple of things i have made recently. I've been making some simple things on stripboard for a while but I'm still wrapping my head around how to make things modular. This thread is really helpful, it's great to see people's videos with explanations about how things connect.

8 step sequencer

going to add a rotary knob to this. and I'm also wondering if I could use the leds as gates, I guess they are all pretty slow apart from the main clock.

I'm working on building a wearable lunetta, so that separate modules will be built into separate costumes and a few people play it together.

Here is 555 tone generator with a 567 ring modulator/noise maker built into a costume. I've knitted the potentiometer for the 567 - it changes restistance when stretched. There are soft buttons made with conductive fabric in the bottom scales of the mask.

I think i'm going to start making something modular by building the slacker melody generator. If you have any suggestions for modules to build i'd love to hear them.

Smile
Page 5 of 6 [145 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: