electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Advice: what to do with 40's jukebox controller
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rich decibels

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Advice: what to do with 40's jukebox controller
Subject description: Outputs a slow train of pulses - what would you use it to drive?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone, I picked up one of these this week - a Seeburg Wall-O-Matic 100 3W-1. It's a kind of remote control for a jukebox from the late 40's. It's too banged up to be a collectors' piece, so I'm sacrificing it on the Lunetta altar.

The selector switches on the front panel become active after a coin is deposited. When a selection has been made, a little motor starts up and drags two arms across a matrix of contacts, which outputs a signal that the jukebox interprets as a song selection. The train of pulses changes depending on the combination of buttons pressed.

As you can see in the schematic, the pulses are created by repeatedly grounding the blue wire. This is a pretty convenient signal for me to work with, so I'm looking for suggestions for how you would use such a signal.

From the manual:
"Two series of pulses are required ... the number of pulses in each series is determined by which Wall-O-Matic selection switches are pressed. There will be from 2 to 21 in the first series and from 1 to 5 in the second series. The rate of the pulses and the time interval between them is determined by the design of the Wall-O-Matic and the motor speed. This interval between individual pulses in both series is approximately 1/25 second and and an interval of approximately 1/5 second occurs between the last pulse of the first series and the first pulse of the second series."

What would you drive with such a signal?

seebug wall-o-matic 100 3w-1 schematic.jpg
 Description:
Simplified schematic for Seeburg Wall-O-Matic 100 3W-1 jukebox controller.
 Filesize:  96.75 KB
 Viewed:  336 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

seebug wall-o-matic 100 3w-1 schematic.jpg

tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very cool looking piece of history you've got there. But, and a big but, be very carefull around old appliances. If it plugs into the wall, don't even think about messing with it. If you can find a way to safely convert this to let's say 5v then there is some cool stuff you can do with the pulses. A squarewave is nothing more than a on/off signal so you could use it just like you would with a clock, I think...
noise
rich decibels

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm qualified to work with mains power, though I appreciate your warning tjookum. What I'm looking for from this forum is advice on what I could do with specifically this kind of Morse-like signal.
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suppose this device is intended to press just ONE A-K and One 1-10 pushbuttons.

Muliple buttons CAN be pressed? This would enable you to determine your own train of pulses. This is a serial temporary pulsetrain. The serial can be used like any clock signal. With for instance a 4017 the output selected to be High would remain that way until the next clock pulse comes in. In other situations, to retain the data a Data Latch could be used.To make parallel outputs you can have a serial in shift register with parallel outputs. These (when held with a Latch) could be used as an address to control IC's with binary select inputs like the 4051 and others.
The mind boggles with possibilities. Control of the jukebox is probably derived from some more logic IC's (inside the jukebox itself?) that can be used in Lunetta context, so what does it connect to? May well be some stuff I mentioned here. If you have schematics of the jukebox itself, check out the datasheets.
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh my, late fourties right? Never mind the datasheets then Laughing .
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: