electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Trapezoid VCA anybody?
Page 7 of 7 [161 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Would you buy a Jh Trapezoid VCA PCB?
no - only interested in the original EMS circuit (this is not goint to happen - sorry)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
yes - if it emulates the behaviour of the EMS circuit, and doesn't need component selecting
97%
 97%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 41

Harry_W

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emdot_ambient wrote:
I haven't seen anything lately on what's happening with JH's estate. I suspect it will take a while before they figure out what to do with his electronics stuff.

The Haible family recently had to clear the apartment where Jurgen had been living for the last 6-7 months before he died. By agreement with the family, I helped a bit and took all of the unpopulated PCBs to my home (about several hundred pieces). Now I am going to take a kind of inventory, for legal reasons and for giving an overview to the family about Jurgen's "heritage".

Unfortunately, no sales of PCBs or any other modular stuff (there is still the PolyKorg PS-3200 clone left...) will take place until all legal questions are answered. This may take some time. I will see, but I cannot tell you right now if there are Trapezoid PCBs left or not. It's so much stuff...

Regards,
Harry
Davedatt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please let us know when they are available again. Jurgen did an amazing job of emulation without copying the VCS3. A true genius. BTW folks. The VCA is amazing sounding.

Dave
MR-808

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Davedatt wrote:
Little bit concerned about the soft off time, after about 3:00 o'clock I am in a manual time mode. Or at least I got tired of waiting for a re-trigger.

I was able to adjust one of mine to turn on at about 9.75 (out of 10), but the trim was really sensitive around the sweet spot. The other one is about the same as yours, but I think it's due to not having a good 10-turn pot installed. I bet I'll be able to get them to go into manual mode @ 10 once I get some better tweak pots.

Last edited by MR-808 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
MR-808

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, BTW, here's a pic of the panel Dave & I cooked up, with some MOTM panels for comparison. The alignment of the bottom jacks is a little off, the "VCA IN 2" should be "VCA CV", the "TG SHIFT" should be scaled -5 to +5, and the "AUDIO TRIGGER" should be "SWITCH TRIGGER". Oh, and the black paint isn't quite as black as the MOTM paint. It ain't perfect, but I'm pretty darned happy with it. Please cut us some slack - it's our very first custom panel! ;)

TZG.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  785.99 KB
 Viewed:  976 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

TZG.JPG

vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks really nice!
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, it looks pretty awesome!

Do you have an electronic version of the front panel design of it you could share? It looks like a good jumping off point for the ones I'll eventually build (I've got 2 in my inventory).

MR-808

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! Here's an FPD with the legends fixed - hope it's useful!

Trapezoid Generator revised.fpd
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Trapezoid Generator revised.fpd
 Filesize:  6.65 KB
 Downloaded:  832 Time(s)

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, thanks! I'll end up messing around with it to suit my needs but this'll really help. Cheers!
chrisp

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

could someone help me with this project.....?

the trapezoid don't do anything.

the led is always on, and only the trapezoid pot working

have anyone the same symptoms?

chrisp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK finally I found the problem!!! The main problem it was a bad soldering at D5 but on the way i found also and on other parts the same problems.

now I 'm on trimming stage

Many thanks to Dave Brown for his help and the mathematical description !!
mrml

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Panel for JH Trapezoid Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anybody still following this topic? I'm wondering if any of you who actually put this together and used it for a while have advice on what worked well on the front panel? There are so many options with the PCB, did some of them turn out to be more useful than others?
Page 7 of 7 [161 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: