electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
DSP calculator
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic

Is there a need for a DSP calculator ?
Absolutely
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
Yes, maybe
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Maybe not
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Certainly not
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: DSP calculator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not easy to calculate the number of DSPs needed to be able to play a performance on the G2, e.g. whether it would fit on an unexpanded G2.

It's not easy to calculate how many voices a certain patch would give on an unexpanded G2, when creating it on an expanded G2.

Also it's not a very good idea to open up the G2 and remove the voice expansion in order to get answers on questions like this.

I think that for voice designers it would be helpfull to have a tool built into the editor to answer such questions.

Alternatively the exact allocation algorithm could be made public, so someone else could write a little calculator tool.

Jan.

Last edited by blue hell on Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:59 am; edited 2 times in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I strongly agree with this. We get lots of posts from people asking about his. Most people find this confusing. Every time I understand it I discover I don't. This little calculator or monitor should be built into the editor, IMHO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, if you include voting options on this topic, I will choose the one that resembles "Absolutely! This is a thing that we are waiting for!!" mostly.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, go ahead !

Jan.
Chet

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I voted for "absolutely". I do a significant amount of off-line editing, and have gotten some nasty surprises when I finally hooked up my G2.
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I liked it on the old NM when the module choices in the editor would show you how much dsp they used. Often that would influence my choice of modules. With the G2 you have to put the module in the patch first to see how much it uses. I thought about making my own chart of what each module uses, but I discovered that it varies too much. For example in some cases the first instance of a module uses a different amount than subsequent ones.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The G2 uses some sort of dynamic resource allocation scheme. An oscillator with 3 FM inputs that are connected uses more resources than the same module with no inputs active. So the little pop up percentages wouldn't mean anything on the G2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Jump to: