electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Microkorg
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bobmusic555

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Microkorg Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi I'm new to synthesizers and am thinking of buying a microKorg along with a cheap home keyboard. I am part of a band and the sound range is quite broad from strong synthesized sounds to basic piano. I'm just wondering if there are any accesiries for the microkorg or keyboard I might need. Thanks
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The microKorgs are pretty self-contained, I think you even get a gooseneck microphone in the box. If you want to control it with pedals or something you'll have to buy that extra.

Are you planning to play the Korg from the cheap home keyboard using MIDI? If not, it could be a good idea to try it out in a shop first - not everyone takes to those small keys. Also, there are two variants, the plain microKorg and the microKorg XL. The XL has nicer keys (same as the microSampler), but I've heard complaints about it not being as tweakable as the original microKorg.

When I've tried out the microKorgs in shops, I've felt like it's a nice little synth.

A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I realize this is an old post but in case anyone else runs across it I have something to say on the topic.

I love my MicroKorg. It has a whole lot of power in a very portable container. It's tricky to learn how to program patches with the knobs but a breeze with the free computer sound editor you can download from Korg. And the more I use the editor the better I understand the knobs.

The MK has multiple layers of sounds and multiple LFOs assignable to control multiple parameters. It would take many thousands of dollars worth of analog synth equipment to do what you can do with the MK. And I got my truly like-new MK for two hundred bucks.

The mini-keys are actually good for some kinds of playing because the reach is easy and the key travel is short and therefore quick. When the keys seem too small for what I'm doing I just connect one of my full-size keyboards with a MIDI cable. The octave shift buttons are so convenient that having only 37 keys is usually not a problem.

The pitch and mod wheels are great and their range and functions are programmable. The knobs are substantial and knob position detenting is solid. The instrument feels well made to me.

Some people prefer the sound of true analog synthesizers but I prefer the boingier 80s type sound of "Virtual Analog" synth engines. And I love having the polyphony, easy patch storage and trouble-free pitch stability that VA synths provide.

The MK gets a bad rap in some circles because it's popular. Others criticize it for being toy-like. Analog purists aren't too thrilled with any VA instruments. On the other hand, 100,000+ of us love our MicroKorgs.

I also have a Casio CZ-101, another very powerful "toy." The keys are crap but MIDI takes care of that. When I slave the CZ to the MK I call the combo my "Korgio."

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: