electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
The Liquid High Hat - Back from the dead! [PCB's]
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 12 [284 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
rosch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm in!
2 Bentleys Cool
HexInverter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, Rosch! Smile

Update: I have the updated schematic from Rich for the final version with all of the optional changes worked into it as well as the protection circuitry!

The final board revision will be done, soon!
jojjelito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gearlust!

The vids cracked me up. What's with Canadians and YouTube? First I saw some Epic Mealtime, now this!

Needless to say, I want one. Badly Twisted Evil

-J
telbonic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Epic vid old boy, fnar fnar.

Is there anything out there to show what this thing does on it's own?

With all the this's and that's plugged in here there and everywhere a noob like myself is having a little trouble working out what I need to get a little tiss-tit-tit-tiss-tiss out of this beast.

From what I can see I'll need a vca and some logic modules in addition to the noise source itself, or will this all be boiled down into a single module in the end?
HexInverter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

telbonic wrote:
Epic vid old boy, fnar fnar.

Is there anything out there to show what this thing does on it's own?

With all the this's and that's plugged in here there and everywhere a noob like myself is having a little trouble working out what I need to get a little tiss-tit-tit-tiss-tiss out of this beast.

From what I can see I'll need a vca and some logic modules in addition to the noise source itself, or will this all be boiled down into a single module in the end?

Putting words in Rich's mouth here...but so far as I know, there is no AR/EG on board - so if you want that functionality you will have to route it through those. There aren't plans to add one.

To trigger it you would need a voltage control source. There is no logic needed - unless you are referring to a trigger pulse? I think you might mean the XOR stuff he was talking about in the latest video - that's all on board already, he was just talking about the mods to the XOR's for patching it around Smile

Also, check the link to the original thread I posted in the very first post here, there are more videos posted by him in that old thread that show different things it can do, as well as a sound clip of the more strange stuff the module can do posted by someone else.
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

telbonic wrote:

The LHH is a voltage controlled, kind of metalic sounding noise source -lots of different frequency noise doing all manner of ungodly things. Smile
To get a hi-hat type sound you'll need some sort of envelope generator and a VCA.

There are some very simple EG/VCA circuits - an op-amp, a couple pots and a few other bits that will work great with it...

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
telbonic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HexInverter wrote:

Putting words in Rich's mouth here...but so far as I know, there is no AR/EG on board - so if you want that functionality you will have to route it through those. There aren't plans to add one.

Fair enough, just so I know.

HexInverter wrote:

To trigger it you would need a voltage control source. There is no logic needed - unless you are referring to a trigger pulse? I think you might mean the XOR stuff he was talking about in the latest video - that's all on board already, he was just talking about the mods to the XOR's for patching it around Smile

Yup, I was indeed talking about the XOR's Smile Sounds great, can't wait to try this bad boy out.

HexInverter wrote:

Also, check the link to the original thread I posted in the very first post here, there are more videos posted by him in that old thread that show different things it can do, as well as a sound clip of the more strange stuff the module can do posted by someone else.

I'll have a dig around, but I'm sold anyway - I just wanted a little clarification is all - thanks for that Smile

Put me down for two thanks Wink
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought the panel space was a bit excessive for just a simple analog hi hat module...then I went through the original post and heard the various other things people did with the prototypes and realized this is a very deep noise maker. Of course you can reduce the panel density if you wish, but I always think "more is more". Very Happy
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emdot_ambient wrote:
I thought the panel space was a bit excessive for just a simple analog hi hat module...then I went through the original post and heard the various other things people did with the prototypes and realized this is a very deep noise maker. Of course you can reduce the panel density if you wish, but I always think "more is more". Very Happy

The simplest way to build it, would make it only a little more complex than Ken Stone's 'Shimmer' section of his Cynare. (The shimmer was 6 x 40106 clocks, with no manual pitch controls, unless you chose so.)

The Liquid HiHat V1.00 in it's simplest configuration would have:

4 x 40106 oscillators at fixed frequencies
2 x 4046 VCOs with a frequency control for each
1 x CV input for each 4046 swith no attentuators
1 x single output

Now that would still be capable of a fair bit of different sounds, but nowhere NEAR, what the normal V1.00 unit would be, with a manual frequency control for each of the 4 x 40106 oscillators, as well as 2 x attentuateable CV inputs for each of the VCOs; an External Input and 2 x Outputs. (Which can be sent to separate processing units to come up with different sounds from each.)

And then - the full blown V3.00 - 'Bentley' - everything, completely patchable, and capable of interfacing with the outside world for every portion as well as feeding back on itself ...

Well, that's another story. Very Happy
telbonic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can make room for a big panel...

Very Happy

Just re-read the first post by the way, I'm an eejit.
philpeery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great video's Ryk! I am gonna need to have 4 or 5 of these boards when they are released. Sounds like an awesome little circuit!

Phil
textual

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

put me down for 1!
www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HexInverter wrote:

The answer is yes, absolutely! I will be releasing the artwork for people to use after the design has been tested and approved, and I have made my time I put into the project back Smile Shouldn't be too long until you can have it Razz

I'd post it right after testing, but you never know...there ARE some bad people out there that might steal my artwork for profit. And as much as most people on this forum are fantastic, I seem to remember hearing of some bad stuff happening around here.

I believe you can Copyright your artwork. That wouldn't be much of a deterrent, but it would give you legal recourse should you discover someone using your work for commercial gain.

IANAL

HexInverter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the pointer, c64!!! I think this is a bit too petty to take legal action over if that were the case, though Sad

Okay people!!! Major update:

Speaking with Rich, and others on the forums, we have decided that adding all of the mods shown in the video is taking it a bit far. We can just keep adding features and improving on the design - we don't want feature creep to kill the project, so it is going to be left to the builder to add the Bentley mods themselves. Rich will be providing a guide on how to do that that will be incorporated in the manual, for those that have the panel space for all those patch points! Very Happy

Also, I have received a lot of pre-orders for these boards. Well, not a huge amount by any stretch, but definitely more than the handful I had originally anticipated needing to make.

So, we're going to be doing an actual board run. There are still nowhere near the number of orders to fulfill a double layer/"pro" board and make it cost effective - so it will still be single sided, and need some jumpers installed!

This will bring the cost per board down a bit, though - which is a big plus Smile I think the final board price will be $17 per board, so we'll all save a couple bucks over me doing them myself.

I just can't see myself drilling ~10,000 holes and keeping my sanity. I could have done up to 10 boards or so no problem, but there is demand for closer to 20 now!

Thankfully, my financial situation has gotten a little bit better - so I can cover the vast majority of the cost once I am paid from another board order I am working on for someone here on the forums Smile The financial details will be worked out in private since I do not want to ask you kind folks for money up front for the board run.

The final board layout is just about done, and only needs tweaking and some minor changes before being sent off to the manufacturer.

Also, in the spirit of true Do it Yourself - I have been requested to offer my handmade boards as a limited run for those of you that cannot wait for the pro run (as it will take a little while longer to get them than if I did it), or who would simply like to support my homemade boards.

The homebrew boards (not the pro ones) will NOT be drilled. You will have to drill them yourself! - they are for those of us with the capabilities of doing so that would like to support my board making abilities. My boards are nice and easy to drill, because there is an area of no copper where the drill bit needs to go, in the middle of the pad being drilled. This means you don't have to punch guides or anything like that. These boards will be $15, since you have to drill them yourself instead.

Call me crazy for offering this...I think it sort of is, but someone asked for it - so I am offering! Wink

I will add this information to the original post, as well.
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Single sided fabricated boards with jumpers is thumb up thumb up by me!
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Should we pay for these now?
HexInverter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LektroiD wrote:
Should we pay for these now?

Nope! Not quite yet. The final board is still being completed. I've been super sick the last 1.5 weeks or so, and working/going to school non stop Sad Haven't been able to get to the couple changes left needed before I can call it done. Well, actually - it is basically done, I just need to add some extra optional pads for the Bentley mods/customization.

That, and if you are planning for a pro board I still need to acquire the funding for it. It's going to be about $400 for all the boards we need. I don't want to ask for it up front, so it could be a little while. (basically, until I am done this board order for someone else and get paid from that)

I will keep everyone posted!!! Smile
HexInverter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update:

Final board layout is finished! Very Happy

I have completed the board layout and will now just be waiting on the funds to send off for the boards to be made! I will keep everyone posted on that matter, of course.

Rich and myself are working together to make a nice PDF assembly/usage/mod guide for the project, next!

The bill of materials has changed slightly (a few more diodes, some resistor values have been changed...nothing too major) - I will update that over the next few days.

The Bentley mods (patch panel) are optional, and there will be instructions on how to perform them on your LHH board should you wish to do so.

Extra pads have been added specifically for doing this mod which you can choose to use, or not.

I will be making a batch of homebrew PCB's over the weekend for those interested in those. They should be ready by Saturday. I can ship them as early as Monday if payments are received by Sunday evening! Homebrew ***NON DRILLED*** boards are $15CAD each. Shipping is $2.50 to Canada, $3.00 to the States, and $5.00 to Worldwide, for 1-3 boards.

I will take a picture of the homebrew boards and update the original thread with it as soon as I have made the first couple boards Smile

If you are interested in HOMEBREW boards, let me know how many you like here or via PM (note: people who have already requested these, don't worry - I have you on a list and will contact you when your requested boards are ready - probably Saturday!), so I know how many to cook up!
HexInverter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

olga42 wrote:
What's with Canadians and YouTube?

I reckon it probably has something to do with being cooped up inside all winter 'cause it's -40C outside!!! Very Happy

We're a wacky bunch, yup!
HexInverter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wheewwweee!

Been a while since an update - I have been busy like crazy!

The good news is that I am very near making the board order. I would guess I will be placing the order early next week, and then it's just a waiting game.

Me and Rich still have not finished the manual in it's entirety, but the homebrew boards should be arriving for all the people who ordered them any time now (if they haven't already) - so here is the top side component layout until the complete manual is done and published!!!

LHHv1.1_parts_web.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  412.53 KB
 Viewed:  322 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

LHHv1.1_parts_web.jpg

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lookin' good!
mattias

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want a board too!
Thanks.

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mattias wrote:
I want a board too!
Thanks.

The big wait so far is on myself getting the 1st manual written. I'm hoping to have more time tomorrow to work with my LHH V3.00-Bentley to jot down notes applicable to the V1.1 and V3.00 units. It shall be finished soon. That's the biggest thing that Hex is waiting for.
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hope i am not too late for the party Shocked
2 please if possible Smile
julianw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please could you put me down for two boards, I posted interest in the original thread in the layout section, ages ago - not sure if that was added to the tally.

Great to see this coming together.

Thanks to Rich & HexInverter for the hard work they have put into this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 12 [284 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: