electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
G2 Editor as VST Plugin that Transmits MIDI (and Audio)
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic

Make editor work as a VST instrument ("Total Integration" ala Access Virus) ...
With just MIDI in/out via USB (or handled entirely within editor, if possible)
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
With both MIDI and audio in/out via USB
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Not worth the effort
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

huffcw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: G2 Editor as VST Plugin that Transmits MIDI (and Audio) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I would like to see Clavia do in software is update the patch editor so that it can be inserted as a VST plugin that can transmit and receive MIDI over the USB connection. That way the G2 can be used to control things inside a computer (e.g., soft synths) and receive MIDI from a software sequencer without having to have a separate MIDI interface connected to the computer. That would streamline things a little bit and would be a great addition.

If Clavia could also find a way to use the USB for 2-channel audio in/out - that would be really awesome - but I would be happy with just MIDI in/out.

For MIDI, it may not even require that the USB driver change. If Clavia could program the editor program to transmit and receive MIDI from inside the program itself, then the same communication between the G2 and editor that already exists may be all that is required??? The editor program would translate the communication between the G2 and the editor into MIDI inside the computer - as well as the output back to the G2. It seems like it may be relatively simply - since the USB driver would not need to be modified - just the editor program. Or, am I missing something?

The audio thing is obviously harder - but it would be great if they could find a way to work it out - especially considering the new Access Virus and all it can do (Midi, audio, etc.).
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm happy with the G2. I really think Clavia has a great design philosophy, and I hope they stick to it.
huffcw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Me too - I am very happy with the G2. There is no question that it has the best user interface available. The idea here is just for an improvement on an already excellent product - especially if it doesn't take too much effort to do (it seems like the MIDI part would be simply - audio probably not simple).

The big question is really how much effort it would take to implement (and how much it would take away from other development that may be more desired).

It would be nice if there was one list of wishes with every feature people have an interest in Clavia implementing that could be ranked in priority by users - the most important feature users want to the least important feature that may be nice to have but may not really be necessary.
This would be helpful to Clavia if they monitor it and are making decisions on what to focus their effort on.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

huffcw wrote:
It would be nice if there was one list of wishes with every feature people have an interest in Clavia implementing that could be ranked in priority by users - the most important feature users want to the least important feature that may be nice to have but may not really be necessary. This would be helpful to Clavia if they monitor it and are making decisions on what to focus their effort on.

There are at present less than 25 wish list topics - not too hard for Clavia or any other manufacturer to read over. Only a very small percentage of the people that read these topics choose to vote. A rank ordered list would not be all that meaningful statistically.

Clavia is pretty smart at coming up with innovative instrument designs. I'm pretty sure they read these forums and they hear from their customers in other ways. If you consider feedback they got on the original NM1, the G2 has pretty much what the users wanted and more - things that nobody thought of.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm choosing to put the limited development time I have to devote to this site in other areas. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
huffcw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey - no problem. I was really thinking of it as something that would be helpful more down the road if there ended up being a lot of varied requests.

The fact that there are not that many requests is a real statement to how great the G2 already is.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

There are at present less than 25 wish list topics

Just for the record : nearly 50 over here, but still not many :-)

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oppps. I stand corrected. I thought there were no more than 25 topics per page on the forum listing. It's 50. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Jump to: