electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
peavey 1600 or Behringer knob box?
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
James Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: peavey 1600 or Behringer knob box? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone have opinions for or against either?

James
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have the Behringer, but I'm a big fan of the pc1600x.
It's nice to have 16 faders if you're using it for midi volume.
The peavey can be programmed to send sysex too.
Also, it has a very nice function where you can set up one button to send
the values of 16 faders. For example, in a performance setting, you can send program change messages on all channels, a quick and easy setup.
James Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw,

on the Peavey 1600...can the buttons be used as toggles for on/off messages?

James
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the buttons can be set to either toggle or momentary.
I wish they had an led to indicate the state.
If the state doesn't match up with the thing you're trying to turn on, then
you might have to hit the button twice.
James Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the info..sounds like the buttons would work perfectly with what I want to do..thanks for the information

James
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just sold the PC1600X for the Behringer BCF2000 and BCR2000
you should see the motorized faders at work Very Happy plus USB etc. great Exclamation I am using them with Ableton Live Cool Call the police Shocked Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
James Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Knob / Fader Box Suggestions (was peavey 1600....) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

O.K. back to the knob box possibilities. In looking at the Behringer stuff..can they transmit NRPN messages? What is the longest time of fader movement recording that you can record? I'm thinking in terms of 1/2 an hour or so of fader movements and then letting it run by itself.

Maybe it would help if I explaing what I'm doing in the studio with this equipment.

I run many individual synths (software & hardware) and have them all working at the same time in a sort of self-generating environment. Where each synth has it's own parameters being adjusted over a long period of time. All of the synths work within a designed framework (I'm an Architectural designer/planner by day) so the two relate..:)

Anyways, where was I.....

All of the synths work within a designed framework that has very open boundaries, but boundaries do exist. Together all of the equipment forms a composition. So what I'm looking for is a fader or knob box that I can either record all the movements into a sequencer OR in the Behringer faderbox case..perhaps have a couple of them simply running wild sync on their own happily adjusting parameters on their own.

The Peavey is attractive to me because I have some gear that only replies to realtime NRPN messages and I'd like to be able to work it's parameters into the mix of everything..

The Behringer Fader box seems attractive, and I've downloaded the manual and read through it, but it doesn't say anywhere about how LONG of a fader sequence you can record (if I chose to use them standalone)

I have multiple software sequencers that I COULD record everything into, but I tend to lean towrd the more tactile side of things.

any comments / suggestions for hardware fader / knob box from someone out there would be greatly appreciated.

James
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The BCF2000 doesn't record fader moves, you need to send them to a computer/sequencer for that.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You'd have to record the fader movements on a software sequencer of some type. You could use virtually any fader box to do this. A motorized fader box, BCF2000 or MotorMix move when you play back the sequence. Depending on your sequencer software, you can grab a moving fader and automatically edit the movement. The LED collared rotary faders are similar in operation, if the software supports updates.

AFIK, none of these boxes do automatic movements. You must have some software for that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
James Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha! that clears up ALOT...I was under the impression that the faders were motorized AND some form of recorder ala Yamaha 02R mixer.

thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess the Peavey box was the idea to begin with as it can send NRPN messages..
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you checked? The Behringers don't support NRPN messages? That surprises me. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
James Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Have you checked? The Behringers don't support NRPN messages? That surprises me. Shocked
ahhh just went through the manual again and YES it does support NRPN..
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In that case, I would think the 24 knob Berhringer with LED collars would be a better investment than the Peavy, which is pretty old technology. I'm thinking of getting one myself just to be able to play some of the G2 patches people are posting. Laughing

Musicians Friend has the BCR-2000 B for $169.99. Be sure to click on the Musicians Friend logo on the electro-music.com front page because if you go in that way then we get a tiny percentage.

James, check your profile - you have disabled BBCODE so the quote thing won't work...

James Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Musicians Friend has the BCR-2000 B for $169.99. Be sure to click on the Musicians Friend logo on the electro-music.com front page because if you go in that way then we get a tiny percentage

got it and heck for 169.99 you surely can't beat that..I'll be sure to go through the site link when I purchase it.
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Be sure to click on the Musicians Friend logo on the electro-music.com front page because if you go in that way then we get a tiny percentage.
Speaking of which, my four Behringer compressors arrived today. Please let me know if Musician's Friend gave you your percentage.

Cheers,

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What Behringer compressors??

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Autocom Pro MDX1400 dual-channel compressor/limiter/expander at $49.99 each. I got free shipping plus a $20 off coupon in the latest catalog.
--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
illuminated

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edited
Last edited by illuminated on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ryansupak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had that Peavey unit, and I've played on the Behringer units a few times...if you play out on a regular basis, I'd recommend the Peavey.

It is solid metal and the faders, buttons, and wheel feel terrific.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Knob / Fader Box Suggestions (was peavey 1600....) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

James Johnson wrote:
In looking at the Behringer stuff..can they transmit NRPN messages?
Yes

James

The BCR2000 can be put into learn mode to record short sysex sequences, but you cannot edit the sysex sequences once they are recorded. I don't think the manual states if it can learn NRPN sequences though.

I had a PC1600 5-6 years ago, and really liked it's programmability.
I made an editor for the Matrix 6/1000 with it, which was done all with sysex. You can edit each byte in the sysex string on a PC1600.

The BCR is neat, but is way too tedious to program.
If I remember correctly, the you could copy and edit an preset to any other preset. You can't do this on the BCR.

The PC1600 had global channel settings, but the BCR does not.
If you want to use each row of controllers for different channels, you have to edit all 32 controllers manually or with the Java app available, which is almost as tedious as the BCR itself.

The BCR gives you many controllers in a very small area, and is mor flxible at what can be controlled than the PC1600, but the PC1600 is way easier and quicker to program by hand.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you seen this one?
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Quote:
The PC-1600v is a software version of the popular MIDI controller by Peavey. It emulates the functions of the PC 1600x and acts as a remote preset editor that can dump presets to the real PC 1600(x)! Don't have a PC 1600x? Use this program as a software MIDI controller to control any MIDI device. Type in custom SysEx commands and send them to your MIDI device!

arrow http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21928

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Jump to: