electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
synthesizers.com
Page 2 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

q116? I think it is nice to have it in the cab.
I´m a big fan of using outboard and external stuff, but for something like a ring modulator less clutter of cables on the floor is probably a good thing and the module takes up just one slot. scratch

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
XCenter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

phesago wrote:
What do you guys think about q116?

Haven´t heard it yet, but AFAIK the design is nothing special. If you already have the Moogerfooger, keep it! It´s great IMHO!!

Four VCAs is far from being enough I´d say. Skip the 7th VCO for two additional VCAs, or a VCA and another ADSR. That would make a better balance I think.

Music for conscious listening @ http://www.fmdelight.de/
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agreed.. do keep the Moogerfooger no matter what. It´s a good device.

And the Q116 is of course as basic as it gets. True.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are products like:

http://steamsynth.com/m_QuadLFO.aspx
http://www.megaohmaudio.com/LFO.html

Less real estate and basic LFO stuff.

A very cool but possibly not so obvious is this one:
http://www.kl-module.de/K311_en.htm
It is a logic module.. and addictive.. depends on how deranged your mind is. Owning a dotcom system for a year usually turns you into an easy victim.. wait and see.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
phesago

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Owning a dotcom system for a year usually turns you into an easy victim.. wait and see.

LOL Very Happy Owning any analog synth makes you a victim I think. I have had mine for about 6-7 months now, and the urge for more power and options is taking over!

Quote:
Four VCAs is far from being enough I´d say. Skip the 7th VCO for two additional VCAs, or a VCA and another ADSR. That would make a better balance I think.

The studio 66 comes with 5 envelpe generators, so I think that's enough, right? I think I may opt to keep the 7th oscillator and not have the Ring Modulator(q116), the Normalizer(q146) and the Connector Interface(q120). These three not being there gives me room for the additional q161 OscMixers and the Q141 OscAid.

I could possibly not have the 7th OSC and just keep the Normalizer(q146) and the Connector Interface(q120), but to be honest I doubt I would ever actually use the Connector Interface(q120). What do you guys think? Or should I just have another Instrument Interface(q118)? For some reason I am inclined to just keep the 7th OSC anyway, as I can just add on more stuff later.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMO: The normy is probably not for you right now.. if ever.
And I doubt the connector interface will be of any use to you right now either.
You are probably not going to add banana or minijack modules any time soon.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
XCenter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
And I doubt the connector interface will be of any use to you right now either.
You are probably not going to add banana or minijack modules any time soon.

Yep, second that. The Connector Interface is nothing more then a jack adapter. It doesn´t feature any electronics, it´s just jacks and wires. Go and get a couple of this adapters:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

And save the place and money for s.th. more useful.

Music for conscious listening @ http://www.fmdelight.de/
CatchAce

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ive skimmed about on the site, and their prices seem reasonable for the components.

http://www.synthesizers.com/prices.html

i would buy it one part at a time, and assemble it as it comes in, starting with a QKB15S keyboard and a box or 2 made to fit QCR8 frame racks, or a QCP22 travel box ..... and then go from there.
Bryan B

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
I own thousands of dollars worth of Dotcom modules both new and used. I love the build quality and the modules are all very well designed. They have good customer service and decent/great lead times. You can order the VCO with the CRS installed. The only module I have disliked so far is the variable state filter. I got rid of that one as fast as I could because it lacked any personality (which is everything in a filter).

You would do well to research some of the smaller 5MU manufacturers before going all Dotcom. The units offered surpass the Dotcom standard but cost more usually as well.

www.stgsoundlabs.com
Everything Suit and Tie Guy makes is above average. I have owned half of his modules and they are fantastic and very well built. My favorite filters are the SeaDevils (VCS3 clone) and the Post Lawsuit (Arp Clone). I also use his Trigger Mini Store all the time!

http://www.steamsynth.com/Modules.aspx
Doug and his wife makes some really cool modules. My favorite is the Tap Tempo LFO because it has CV over every parameter and includes a VCA to control the LFO output amount. He also just announced a run of Double Decka VCO's with lighted sliders.

www.megaohmaudio.com Phil makes the Delta Filter Clone and I really love how crazy that filter can get. He also makes a 1-space Dual LFO module and a lowpass gate module.

www.groveaudio.com John makes a Dual LFO/VCA combo and has a polymoog resonator clone that is pretty cool. He has top-notch build quality as well.

http://www.oakleysound.com/ Krisp1 builds and sells Oakley modules and just recently started to convert the Oakley designs into the 5MU format (previously MOTM format).
Eric G

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

phesago wrote:
q104, q105, q107, q108, q109, q110, q11, q113, q115, q116, q117, q118, q119, q120, q123, q124, q125, q127, q128,q130, q140, q141, q143, q147, q171, q172, q150, q161, q162, q146

On the "studio 66" it comes with 7 oscillators, is that too many? or not enough?

Sorry if I sound a bit sarcastic now, but given you are obviously totally new with modulars, should you really buy all them modules??

My advice is you get a small starter set, (2 VCO, mixer, VCF, VCA, ADSR, Noise), learn everything from that, and then go get the modules you really need.
Page 2 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: