electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
I propose a challenge!
Page 6 of 6 [143 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
sndbyte

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

neat sounds (especially that drum sound you've got). thanks for posting
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sndbyte wrote:
neat sounds (especially that drum sound you've got). thanks for posting

yvw, sndbyte. A word on the drums. I wanted to make a rock and roll -ish sort of guitar or percussion thingie in Lunetta form, and I was tired from building another part of the Lunetta Challenge circuit so I slept on it. As I drifted off to sleep it occurred to me that I could use a NAND or NOR gate and linear CMOS to make like a super simple Karplus Strong sort of circuit, believe it or not. Here's the hookup:

Take a NAND gate with two inputs. Put a 100k resistor in feedback and a 0.1u cap to ground (shunt) from the input, or in other words an RC feedback. This functions as the filter and delay line of the Karplus Strong -ish circuit. Then put a feedback 100k resistor on the other side and an input 100k resistor on the other side. Complete with a 0.1u cap in series with the input resistor. This functions as the summing amp and stim input of the Karplus Strong -ish circuit.

Feed it a low frequency square wave and you get a resonance that follows, making a sort of a percussion-like type of sound. Playing around with R and C values will give deeper or higher tones or change it into a beeeooop or alarm kind of sound, so there are lots of possibilities.

Neato, huh?

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK I'm done. Here is my contest entry song, complete with lyrics spoken by myself.

Les

LunettaChallenge.mp3
 Description:
Digital Insanity, about 4 minutes duration.

Download
 Filename:  LunettaChallenge.mp3
 Filesize:  3.53 MB
 Downloaded:  1211 Time(s)

Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your tune elicited a "The Hell?" response from my wife. Hideing

Job well done!

I myself am at the initial soldering stage; choosing 6 ics for far and seeing what comes out of it. It has officially begun for me and I hope to finish within a week - depending on my schedule.

ezekiel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor, thanks for the feedback-NAND karplus-strong-ish idea. I think I duplicated what you are talking about and it seems to have much potential. I didn't have any sharp "ping" sound but cool nonetheless. I tried 4093, 4011, and 4030, each a little different.

Perhaps you can start a new thread about the idea, with schematic and sound samples. Then, we can experiment with variations.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ezekiel, probably this one belongs in the Linear CMOS thread, I will post there and we can take that discussion to that thread. It's in the Lunetta subforum also.

Les

Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool stuff chaps!

Not really got started yet, need to do a ton of reading.

Sounds like ive got plenty of cool things to try. Dont think ill get anything done in any short timeframe but more for fun and learning.

Cheers
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, fully inspired with this, what a great idea!

Ive got my 3 oscillators working now based on sndbyte's very helpful notes. Onwards and upwards, damn work in the way Evil or Very Mad Laughing

One query, are transistors allowed, im not sure how you'd define 'passive' ? Are they considered an early opamp and hence not allowed? Sorry, bit of a noob in this respect.

No problem if not.

Many thanks.
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And also a quicky query if i may;

If i want to mix all three osc. outputs either via 3xdiodes, or 3x resistors; what kind of a switch do i need to do all 3 at once (save money and space). I thinks its a 3pdt? Although it does sound better with individual options for each osc.

Switches always confuse the bejesus out of me for some reason.

Cheers
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paradigm X wrote:
And also a quicky query if i may;

If i want to mix all three osc. outputs either via 3xdiodes, or 3x resistors; what kind of a switch do i need to do all 3 at once (save money and space). I thinks its a 3pdt? Although it does sound better with individual options for each osc.

Switches always confuse the bejesus out of me for some reason.

Cheers

Why do you feel you need a switch?

Paradigm X

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well im p'd off with unplugging and plugging stuff on the breadboard Laughing

But yeah, thinking about it ive got a ton of cmos stuff to make a mixer out of i suppose. That might be cool. But i really liked sndbyte's modular aspect of his build, loads of options on switches and bananas, a mini modular with $5 of chips. Amazing, plugging stuff all over the place, and pretty easy to do too Smile

And your drum thing above, altho not quite sure i quite get that yet. Could just add it in. Beyond the scope of this tho but some pt2399s arrived today too! But musnt get distracted.

Cheers
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Hideing Laughing

Was curious if there would be audible results already?

This is a really great project, but not much seems to be happening - would be nice to hear some intermediate results too I think.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm .. could use a candle smiley - howard?
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, ive been massively sidetracked/busy, not really got anywhere, built an oscillator...

sndbyte and inventor both posted some audio/video, and someone (?) made a 12 bar blues thing which sounded very interesting, but not seen or heard...

Revive for 2012!
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, ditto. Been busy on many a sidetracking job. I actually had a stand alone unit using my bag o chips but wasn't happy with it as a standalone. Snip, snip time to wire it up as a patchable critter.

I have made a few tracks utilizing the 4512 paired with outs from a 4040 and 4020. Most likely in the See/Hear your lunetta thread....

I'm rehousing my lunetta as I speak, so I aim to add the 'challenge' machine to my current lunetta. How long will it take? I take it day by day, baby.

brock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paradigm X wrote:
Yeah, ive been massively sidetracked/busy, not really got anywhere, built an oscillator...

sndbyte and inventor both posted some audio/video, and someone (?) made a 12 bar blues thing which sounded very interesting, but not seen or heard...

Revive for 2012!

I guess I'm someone (?), and yes I've been away and busy but hope to get back to this and either finish the 12 Bar Blues Thing, or something similar but more usable.
SugarRatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Draal"]Your tune elicited a "The Hell?" response from my wife. Hideing

Job well done!

it illicited that response from me too!!
Awesome job sir

Psyingo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a little cross post here.
finally, here is my addition to the challenge. a modular cmos drum machine!
i am really quite happy and proud with it. it has provided me with a lot of experience.

i hope my contribution spurs on more people to take up this challenge!
Page 6 of 6 [143 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: