electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
What do you want in new equipment?
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: What do you want in new equipment? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From another topic, Dr. Justice said:

DrJustice wrote:
Just out of interest then, what sort of concepts do you folks hope to see in the next generations of hardware instruments (synths) and studio gear?

DJ
--

Let's have that discussion here...

Well, I'll start by rephrasing what Dr. Justice was talking about elsewhere...

The IO on current equipment is a mess. We need some open protocol to merge audio, midi, and anything else we might need down the line. MLAN is a good idea but it is proprietary and tied to the Firewire interface which from a technical point of view (networking that is) is brain dead. I'd say I'd like to see Gigabit networking and OSC.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Firewire does support networking, and so does MLAN to a certain extent. MLAN can also be used over say GIGIABIT ethernet, but Yamaha has not published any on this yet.

Firewire/MLAN is good enough for most purposes and far better than any alternatves right now. Steinberg did have some DAW sync ( VST Link ) tech over ethernet though, and I reckon Yamaha will study that closely.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it would seem if you want to network musical equipment, you should use IP so you can stand on all the hubs and routers that are already out there and working so well. Firewire is not really suitable for this. It was designed to connect audio and video devices to each other and computers.

If I'm going to have the gear in my studio networked together, then why wouldn't I want to tunnel out over the internet and link to your studio? We aren't going to do that with Firewire.

I want to network and play with people all over the world simultaniously.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, IP over Firewire is working great. Apple is into this bigtime.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey elektro80, you really do believe in Firewire, dont'you Smile Not to worry, thats' cool. I'm sure MLAN works very nicely within an MLAN environment. And Firewire is an OK local interface. But whichever way you look at it, it is not and will not become anything like ethernet in many important aspects.

Some points about of Ethernet are:
- open and free to use, as in no secrets an no licences
- well developed and stable, will 'never' go away or change much
- supports all the internet potocols out of the box
- supports OSC out of the box
- well known, cheap and easy to implement
- global plug&play infrastructure already in place
- local latency less than a milli second
- bandwidth of 1GB/sec
- cheap and cheerful equipment and global feeds

The fact that ethernet is a collision detection protocol by design, was an issue once, but now everything is switched. Appropriate synchronization is defined in OSC. I think ethernet is more than fit for the fight.

As for transporting IP over Firewire; back in the olden days I actually made an IP over MIDI transport that was being used for internet access - Which goes to prove nothing really... Razz

DJ
--
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
... back in the olden days I actually made an IP over MIDI transport that was being used for internet access - Which goes to prove nothing really... Razz

Wow, IP over MIDI. I'm sure the thought of that would never have corssed my mind. Shocked

I guess you used SYSEX a bit... Laughing

Last edited by mosc on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would prefer ethernet. I find local 100-T just fine for moving/syncing MIDI with other laptops. I can't comment on audio latencies, though (ie- what total latencies are there, realistically, from one PC to another and back again? faster or slower than typical FireWire audio interface cards? (10ms))

I've been experimenting with midi-yoke and netmidid/c from "midi-utilities-for-windows". Not much to report yet, but once it's running, it's pretty nice. I use a switch on my network, which is VERY much worth the $25 they cost nowadays.

It seems, for once, that Linux is ahead of Windows in the Midi over Lan department in terms of tools available and the quality of those tools. I've had some difficulties getting my MIDI interface to work on Linux, so I started playing with NetMIDI protocols instead as a quick solution. (Need to get my arms around OSC still, since I haven't found a simple MIDI-over-OSC-over-LAN server that runs on windows)
DrJustice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I haven't found a simple MIDI-over-OSC-over-LAN server that runs on windows

That's a shame, innit. An OSC server that uses the MIDI ports and the ethernet port of a PC or Mac is not a big piece of software, maybe only a few afternoons for something basic. A small multiplatform Ethernet/MIDI bridge freeware package would helpl 'the cause'. I've been thinking the thought... Any takers or collaborators out there?

Sorry, to keep going with the OSC argument, it's just that I care about the issue. Anyway, I'd be surprised if users would not welcome a standard single wire universal studio interface of some sort, if it were to happen. Interesting to see the Virus TI BTW, ...they could've used ethernet and OSC <ok, I'm done for now!:>

DJ
--
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would be interesting to see OSC become a standardized similar to MIDI. I have seen OSC incorporated similarily to MIDI in Reaktor or Max msp, and a few very neat OSC controllers. The thing I'd like to see most in future gear though is new features AND retaining of backwards compatibility (such as MIDI and CV) so old gear can still be utilized in new ways.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, and nobody has mentioned wireless. There are many very good low cost wireless network components. 50 Mbs may not be enough for audio (it isn't) but it's pretty fine for MIDI.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zynthetix:
Yes, it's essential to keep the traditional interfaces, like you mention. A future with just the one digital wire is a bleak one indeed.

And mosc:
Of course! Wireless! Hadn't really thought of that. What's the price of a bluethooth chip now? - Probably a couple of dollars or something. You could be online MIDI jamming through your cellphone with no wires attached Very Happy

We (who are we...? They?) ought to work on this I guess.

So when we're finally well connected, what's next - Tought control? Or are knobs and wooden end panels eternal? GUIs, knobs, blinking lights and the feel of a an instrument truly merged? Do we want racks, keyboards, tabletops or? Do we want new synthesis methods or instrument types? Will anyone ever bother to read an LCD again? Hmm.... the questions are many.

DJ
--
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Telepathic links to equipment would be very nice, but if we could get thought links to the equipment, we could interconnect directly with the audience.

Here I think we'd be in a funny place. You'd have to be a musician that can think music. I personally enjoy interacting with the instrument to make sounds I can't think of. If I could think music that was as interesting as I can play on a good synth, then I'd probably give up music and just spend my time thinking. Shocked

zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Yes, and nobody has mentioned wireless.

Best thing mentioned so far. but it shouldn't stop with MIDI, how about wireless power and audio cables? Rolling Eyes
I await a world without wires (and electro-magnetic interference).
DrJustice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just some quick numbers:

Take wireless ethernet at 50Mbs. Lets say that we settle for half of that bandwidth to guarantee a continous stream, that we weant 24 bit audio at 48kHz and that the software works:

50Mbit / 2 / 24bit / 48kHz
= 21 channels

That's not too bad. And theres faster wireless kit available.

DJ
--
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´m greatly in favour of OSC, MIDI is way too limited. What´s particularly bothering me is that in MIDI you only get velocity and polyphonic aftertouch as ways to adress individual notes. Of those velovity can´t be changed once the note is sounding. Worse yet; nobody seems to realise that this is a tremendous problem and limitation and polyphonic aftertouch is hardly ever implemented. This leads to endless amounts of hoop-jumping.

I also desperatly need ways of communicating between voices of a single instrument.

And while the world is at it, I´d like it to establish a devide between the interface to sounds and the way of changing those sounds.

Tunings should be a part of the song´s settings, defined in the sequencer, not a part of the instrument´s settings.

In general we are stuck with a paradigm based on the piano, that´s fine if you want to play the piano or use other sounds with a piano interface (to the point where people are making velocity sensitive harpsichord presets(!!!!)) but it´s very limited by modern standards. We desperatly need to get rid of this as soon as possible.

I read on the Ableton board that Live is not going to get OSC within this year, I´m kinda sad and disapointed about this.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and granular synthesis and re-synthesis in a hardware box, why is this taking so long?
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Oh, and granular synthesis and re-synthesis in a hardware box, why is this taking so long?

I'm working on this for myself (using an Analog Devices Blackfin DSP). But I have little experience in taking projects in my basement to production.

DSP kits can be found here: http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0%2C2877%2CBF533%25252DHARDWARE%2C00.html

I bought one for $99 when they were first introduced, I think they go for ~$200 now. I'll post pics of it in a month or two in the DIY section when it's ready.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
DSP kits can be found here: http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0%2C2877%2CBF533%25252DHARDWARE%2C00.html

I bought one for $99 when they were first introduced, I think they go for ~$200 now. I'll post pics of it in a month or two in the DIY section when it's ready.

Nice little kit, but the price is $400 now. Crying or Very sad

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah and it seems to need another 200 for the doughterboard for the interface. It does look like it can also do video, that´d be rather exciting, I think. 4 in 6 out is also pritty nice. Programing it all up would be rather time consiming though. There´s the risk that by the time you´re done there´ll be a commercial implementation.
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those kits come with libraries that set up audio DMAs, video DMAs, etc. It's an incredibly efficient DSP. So, really, I just need to port some code over from a few open-sourced libraries, then embellish. I've already taken the RS-232 port, and added a MIDI translator. Linux has been ported to those boards, but I'd rather avoid the whole OS thing altogether, and just make it a fast stand-alone device.

Anyway, once it's working, I'd consider making my own board. Maybe it could be sold as a pre-stuffed PCB kit. (The 600MHz Blackfin is ~$5 in 1000 count lots). It's the logistics of getting all the other random parts that really takes time.

Hmmmm....
DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's good going jksuperstar!!!

Designing the future, not just talking about it thumleft Glad to hear of yet another project brewing, commercial or not. I look forward to hearing more in the developers corner. Got some AD DSP kits here too, btw...

And Kassen,
What do you mean by "communicating between voices of a single instrument"? I can think of some uses, but please explain what you want from it.

DJ
--
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, I´m particularly interested in synthetic versions of sympathetic resonance for organic and intuitive modulations but I´ve ran into this matter in more fields. It would be realy nice for making your own mutated arpegiator and I´m also interested in issues of timing the various sections of one note in relation to other notes. I think we can do better then just having one lfo for all voices or a seperate independant lfo per voice, we should be able to have those compliment eachother in various defined ways.

Lately I keep runing into this matter as in the various systems I use voices can´t "see eachother" without lots and lots of trick or ensembleery. It´s simply a brick wall that need not be there. After all; in a orchestra the different musicians are hopefully listening to eachother.

trash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i would like to see..
a frickin program that writes the tracks for me
to my own exacting specifications!

duh
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i thought that was Garageband hehehe
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Got some AD DSP kits here too, btw...

Same blackfin ones (533)? Projects brewing indeed!

I'm flopping back & forth between using uCLinux on it, vs. doing stand-alone programs. Having a POSIX kernel really makes translating LINUX & BSD code over to the Blackfin a snap. But, then, it would need ALSA support that doesn't currently exist for the blackfin....ugh.
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: